Chinese Take-Out

Options
I used to always get Sesame Chicken, Which comes with fried rice and an egg roll. Now that I'm on a healthy path, I'm not going to get that anymore. :ohwell:

What are your favorite, heathy-ish, lower calorie, lower fat things to get from a Chinese Take Out place?

Replies

• yaseyuku
    yaseyuku Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    I haven't had Chinese take out for years but steamed or stir fry vegetables seem like a good option.

Steamed rice is also good, so is wonton soup.
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    SkimFlatWhite68 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    I just get whatever I feel like but work it into my calories for the day.

My choices are usually Mongolian Lamb, Chicken Sang Choy Bow, Chicken and veggies, Beef and Black Bean sauce - just to name a few. Mainly stir fry. Had fried ice cream with caramel sauce a month or so ago - yum!!

Really, I don't think it matters as long as you balance it out over the week. If I deprived myself constantly then I would just want something more, and lead myself to a binge - what's the point in that? None.

Enjoy your favourite foods, and eat them in the relevant quantities to fit your healthy lifestyle.
  • KellyyT
    KellyyT Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    i STILL get the sesame or general tsao's chicken! skip the egg roll, but gimme my fried rice! and hot and sour soup! this is a lifestyle change, not a diet! i could never in my life say i'd give up deep fried, drenched in sauce, chinese food! so give yourself what you want, but in moderation!

i can NEVER finish my entire meal, especially if you give me soup to start, so i like to get chinese take out and save half for later! granted, even that half is still like 700+ calories, but it's so damn worth it! and sometimes, if the leftovers have gotten too soggy, depending where i'm getting it from, i won't want to "waste" calories and won't eat it!

everything in moderation! i haven't had chinese food in probably a month, but i'm getting some on monday! i know this ahead of time, plan to fit it into my calories for the day, and am completely okay with it! =)
  • kindredspirit96
    kindredspirit96 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Ok, I'm gonna go to the database and look up sesame chicken. :)

I make my own steamed white rice at home, in my Korean rice cooker, cause it's super easy (just add rice and water, hit "cook", and go do something else till it's done). But I lovvvvvvvve the fried rice.

And I lovvvvve the plain lomein. :ohwell: I don't tend to like how they do the veggies in the lomein, so I've always ordered it plain. :blushing:

Gonna go look it up now.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    I used to always get Sesame Chicken, Which comes with fried rice and an egg roll. Now that I'm on a healthy path, I'm not going to get that anymore. :ohwell:

What are your favorite, heathy-ish, lower calorie, lower fat things to get from a Chinese Take Out place?

Get sesame chicken (My go to) don't get fried rice, don't eat the egg roll. Solved.
  • sealevels
    sealevels Posts: 123
    Options
    If I want it, and it's within my calories, I eat it eggroll and all. I'm still losing weight.

My go to is chicken and broccoli with wonton soup and a spring roll.
  • cpego1
    cpego1 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I like the way you think. It is really a life style change not a diet!
  • ghost15026
    ghost15026 Posts: 80
    Options
    Today will likely be a Chinese food binge to make up the 3000 calorie deficit I ran this morning. Still debating since there's no way I want to make up 3000 calories again without misbehaving some.

Restaurant wise some offer brown rice (bran, germ in it). Any type of veggie containing stir fry is better than the typical plate of lo mein.

You may want to cook in-house instead. It's more entertaining and the food is surprisingly better than that "Chinese" take-out.

I might recommend steamed Kokuho Rose rice, kimchee. Perhaps some seaweed roasted in sesame oil and wrapped around some of the rice (with a touch of salt on the oil laden sheet). Perhaps a kimchee pancake using egg whites.

Yaki-mandu using beef, onion, and deep-fried as a (maybe) minor dessert. This is worse than an egg roll, though.

Another favorite is Korean stir-fry using flank steak (or ground beef for the poor man version), a watered down low-sodium soy base with garlic, and whatever veggies happen to be at hand.

Google is your friend on Chinese food at home :smile:

Mother was Korean. :ohwell: