First week and 5lbs lost!!!

Options
A fab start, know it's a long haul but i'm on the right track! And i know it'll slow down! But first week bonus is the kick start i needed! Hope everyone is doing great...hot weather is definately helping with food choices! ;-)

Replies

• ghost15026
    ghost15026 Posts: 80
    Options
    I'm going to rain on your parade a little but losing 5 pounds in a week isn't necessarily a good thing. Either your measurements are wrong (allowed water weight to skew your weight numbers, very likely in 1 week of measurement) or you really did lose that much. If you did lose that much weight in 7 days it's going to backfire down the road (Google "starvation response"). Your food diary isn't open so I can't tell.

I hope that this was just poor measurement. If this happens to be a result of running serious sustained calorie deficit (below 1200 net calories per day) you can back up before your body takes a serious negative response.

I'm not intending to be mean in this post. In fact, I would prefer to be wrong on this. You're a newbie and this is a perfectly understandable and common mistake. You'll get a flurry of posts warning you likewise - be glad you said/posted something this early.
  • barboso22
    barboso22 Posts: 3
    Options
    The heat does help with appetite...exercising not so much! LOL
  • barboso22
    barboso22 Posts: 3
    Options
    Did my walking first thing this morning & hit up the farmer's market for lots of fresh goodies! Teenagers aren't so happy but I sure am! Some swimming on the agenda next....
  • NoMoreExcuses01
    NoMoreExcuses01 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Fantastic! You need a great start to have the motivation to stay strong into week 2! You will definitely slow down and who cares of some of your loss is water. A loss is a loss so good job!
  • jandjcassidy
    jandjcassidy Posts: 143
    Options
    A fab start, know it's a long haul but i'm on the right track! And i know it'll slow down! But first week bonus is the kick start i needed! Hope everyone is doing great...hot weather is definately helping with food choices! ;-)

Good for you!! Keep it up!!
  • Samstan101
    Samstan101 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I'm going to rain on your parade a little but losing 5 pounds in a week isn't necessarily a good thing. Either your measurements are wrong (allowed water weight to skew your weight numbers, very likely in 1 week of measurement) or you really did lose that much. If you did lose that much weight in 7 days it's going to backfire down the road (Google "starvation response"). Your food diary isn't open so I can't tell.

I hope that this was just poor measurement. If this happens to be a result of running serious sustained calorie deficit (below 1200 net calories per day) you can back up before your body takes a serious negative response.

I'm not intending to be mean in this post. In fact, I would prefer to be wrong on this. You're a newbie and this is a perfectly understandable and common mistake. You'll get a flurry of posts warning you likewise - be glad you said/posted something this early.

Its likely a combination of water loss and weight loss. I lost 7lbs in my first week eating 1400 cals a day (plus exercise cals back) - a great motivator and kick start to my journey.

Well done OP, use it as the springboard for where you want to go :)
  • maybeazure
    maybeazure Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    OP...way to go!

Others...It's very common to lose a lot the first week. Most experts will say to expect 1-2 pounds a week loss AFTER the first couple of weeks. Some of it is water weight, but that's not a bad thing. You don't go into starvation mode in a week.

I've probably lost and then gained back thousands of pounds over the past 25 years. Whenever I restrict calories, I lose quite a bit (the most was 7 pounds when I was about 25 and 100 pounds overweight) the first week, and then it levels out to the more normal 1-2 pounds a week.
  • huisfi
    huisfi Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I agree that its a wonderful boost and am happy that you understand that its not "normal" so you don't expect it all the time. I lost 6lbs my first "serious" week and it's leveled out to 1-3 pounds a week, usually closer to 1 though! Its a tough road, but we're all here to support each other! Keep up the great work and positive attitude, it'll take you farther than anything else!
  • Newnameishardtofind
    Newnameishardtofind Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Just enjoy your success! Nice job and keep the chin up if they don't turn out to be that good. Plateau here!
  • 222Vanessa
    Options
    Good for you! I like to throw it into high gear to jump start too. Compared to the calories I was taking in and physical activity I was not doing, this first week had me down 9 pounds :) I know that is a big drop and understand it stems from water weight loss and different calorie consumption and exercise done. But, it's what I need to get me motivated. I will be happy with a pound or two next week.

Keep going!
  • Newnameishardtofind
    Newnameishardtofind Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Well said Vanessa. Good luck in your fab 40s. I'm there already!
  • dconnolly818
    dconnolly818 Posts: 43 Member
    Options

Its likely a combination of water loss and weight loss. I lost 7lbs in my first week eating 1400 cals a day (plus exercise cals back) - a great motivator and kick start to my journey.

Well done OP, use it as the springboard for where you want to go :)

I agree, my first week logging and going to the gym I lost 6lbs. I went from complete couch potato and lord-only-knows how many calories a day, to an hour and half at the gym and 1300+exercise calories back. Also, cut soda completely. It was the perfect jumpstart. I knew it wouldn't keep up that way, but it was an amazing feeling all the same.

Great progress so far, keep how you're feeling now in mind from now on!
  • Laneyjane42
    Options
    I've got alot to lose so i knew i'd have a good first week...i always do! I lost 7 stone twenty years ago and have kept it all off since having my last 2 kids! I know the score everyone! It's a long haul and i wish you all good luck with your journey!
  • Laneyjane42
    Options
    I've got alot to lose so i knew i'd have a good first week...i always do! I lost 7 stone twenty years ago and have kept it all off since having my last 2 kids! I know the score everyone! It's a long haul and i wish you all good luck with your journey!