Invited to someone's home for dinner...?

I have just started MFP, and I have a question. What about when you're invited to someone's home for dinner, how on earth do you track the food? You wouldn't be able to know exactly how or with what it was made, etc? Any suggestions?

Replies

• salvyhead
    salvyhead Posts: 66 Member
    You'll get better at this with practice. Once you've done MFP for weeks or months, you'll just know what kind of calorie counts you're facing and you'll be able to enter them directly with the quick calorie thingy. Don't fret. Enjoy yourself, don't overdo it - you'll be fine.
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    You make your best educated guess. And don't sweat it.
  • MadMonsterMom
    MadMonsterMom Posts: 20 Member
    I think the easiest thing would be guesstimate. It's not really gonna hurt too bad to be a little off for one day. Or you could compliment the food, and ask for the recipe, lol.
  • kimmymayhall
    kimmymayhall Posts: 419 Member
    Try to make reasonable estimations. I know you've just started, but as you get more practice with weighing and measuring the food that you prepare at home, you'll be better able to recognize what 4 oz. of chicken, 1 cup green beans, etc. looks like. I always add more oil or butter to the calculation than I know I use at home. If the food is not that easily recognizable you can ask your host for a brief description of the dish. I wouldn't worry about it too much. You'll probably be off on your calorie estimates, but one day doesn't make much difference in the big picture.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    That's easy, eat beforehand and bring a basket of rolls.

When everyone has gotten bread and there's one piece left...go LOOK! A chupacabra! When everyone looks shove your food in the bowl under the napkin and hold the last roll to your mouth when they turn back proclaiming..."man I can't finish this I'm SO full".
  • lia1009
    lia1009 Posts: 5
    thanks guys! :)
  • daniellemm1
    daniellemm1 Posts: 465 Member
    Many MFPers put in their homemade meals so if you input what you are served you might fight a suitable match to put something in your log until you get more familiar with guessing for yourself. Enjoy your dinner with friends :)
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    That's easy, eat beforehand and bring a basket of rolls.

When everyone has gotten bread and there's one piece left...go LOOK! A chupacabra! When everyone looks shove your food in the bowl under the napkin and hold the last roll to your mouth when they turn back proclaiming..."man I can't finish this I'm SO full".

Brilliant!
  • sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    Depending on your relationship with the host or hostess who is actually preparing the meal and how complicated the meal was, ask them for the recipe. Most home cooks love to be asked this.
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Most of the people I know are aware that I have changed my eating habits and sometimes they let me know ahead of time what they are making, or they ask what I can eat so they can accommodate me. Also, I am just the type of person who will always offer to bring something, and if I do, I make sure that is something that 's fits into my calories and I can log pretty easily.

7396232.png