When did you?

Options
Stop refering to the scale and just start using the mirror? I will be at a heathy BMI ( I know bmi sucks but ya know) in a few pounds. I am loving the changes I see and feel, but its the number on the scale that keeps me going. When did you, or do you plan to make the switch?

At a heathy BMI?
a body fat %
Goal Weight
10 pounds to goal

?

Replies

• KarlaH9801
    KarlaH9801 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    When I am no longer "obease"". Even though, when I was 119, and my hair was falling out. And you could see my ribs. Enough is enough.
  • trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    i'm still basing on the scale.... am nearly into uncharted territory with new lows though so at that stage I guess it will switch to clothing size and mirrors, with a border guided by the scale....
  • shadus
    shadus Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Once I hit "23 bmi" I will put the scale away and start judging based on body fat til I'm happy with my body composition.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    I started with a dietician, so body measurements were the main factor from day 1. At this point, I only use the scale as a tool to get a rough idea of body fat percentage.
  • lina011
    lina011 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    when i got scary thin..... i stopped and had to rethink....... i now hate scales and go by my muscle tone/how clothes fit, ive settled at a certain weight that easy to maintain by doing this
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    I still use my scale but it's not the only tool and certainly not the most reliable one. I rely more on calipers and progress pictures.
  • yaseyuku
    yaseyuku Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Not yet, but when I'm happier with my body in general, I'll care much more about the look than the scale - whatever the number is.
  • kindasortachewy
    kindasortachewy Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    Thanks all!
  • Sjenny5891
    Sjenny5891 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    We didn't have a scale when I started. I only had the weigh-in's at the doctors office. It was enough to go by my clothes getting too big.
  • morticia16
    morticia16 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I haven't used a scale for a few years and I ended up here, in need of weight and lifestyle change. I doubt I will ever again disregard using the scale completely.
  • umieto
    umieto Posts: 46
    Options
    When I finally got it out of my head that I needed to diet, and started eating as I intend to for the rest of my life. It was such an epiphany.
  • TheresaTester
    TheresaTester Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I never used a scale, except at my regular doctor's appointments, until I joined MFP. When I realized I couldn't track my progress without weighing in, I bought a digital scale that I use for my weekly weigh-ins. I do find myself wanting to weigh-in more than weekly, just because that scale is so available.

Using the fit of my clothing to gauge gain/loss used to be the way I tracked whether or not I needed to eat less and exercise more. Obviously, that wasn't a good plan for me, or I wouldn't be in my current predicament.

I went through my closet and found 3 different pair of trousers labeled (from different manufacturers) at size 14. All have different waist and hip measurements when measured with a tape measure. Life would be so much easier if the standard sizes were truly standard. Scales would not be such an obsession if this were the case.
  • londonboyben
    londonboyben Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    i dont ever look at the scale, last time i got on one was about 1994!!

the way i see it is that if was to keep track of actual weight it would just add frustration and disappointment if i never hit the numbers i wanted,
    also dont have any weight targets as i think that i would find it harder to keep motivated when i hit my goal, more than likely ease off a bit subconsciously thinking i had made it,

i just want to make a lifestyle change and maintain it, and think that just watching what i eat and working out will help me slim down and then i will just use body image as a guide to toning up,
  • ron2e
    ron2e Posts: 606
    Options
    Do fat fish have scales? I don't know the answer to that but I'd be naked without and with mine............
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    I do not even own a scale.
  • SJVZEE
    SJVZEE Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Stop refering to the scale and just start using the mirror? I will be at a heathy BMI ( I know bmi sucks but ya know) in a few pounds. I am loving the changes I see and feel, but its the number on the scale that keeps me going. When did you, or do you plan to make the switch?

At a heathy BMI?
    a body fat %
    Goal Weight
    10 pounds to goal

?

I'm in maintenance and I still use the scale everyday. It keeps me accountable.
  • Asterie
    Asterie Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I basically stopped once I hit 127 lbs (17 lbs from goal) and only use the scale now for the group you made! Measurements and how clothes fit are definitely big motivators now, because I'm able to fit into my old clothes again. Plus I like checking out the muscles that are starting to be defined every week or so. I don't know how reliable the scale is right now because I started weight lifting a few weeks ago and I know that muscle retains more water.
  • LadyAsrai
    LadyAsrai Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I don't have access to a scale at the moment, which is a bit frustrating. So, by default, I'm going by the mirror, and how well my clothes fit, and what others notice. It would be nice to be able to keep track of my progress in terms of pounds, though.
  • LadyAsrai
    LadyAsrai Posts: 32 Member
    Options

I went through my closet and found 3 different pair of trousers labeled (from different manufacturers) at size 14. All have different waist and hip measurements when measured with a tape measure. Life would be so much easier if the standard sizes were truly standard. Scales would not be such an obsession if this were the case.
    I agree about the sizing thing-- although for me, I have trousers from size 0 to size 4, though most of them are 2s, and I can fit into all of them, which really shouldn't be the case. Though I think if you know which are tighter/looser/whatever and how they fit you, you can still keep track of the changes.
  • freebirdjones
    Options
    I measure :) Arms, chest, waist, hips, butt and thighs, and take photos. you should too :)