Just an observation

Options
As I've been reading through the posts, a lot are questions about how to track calories burned through exercise. Even with a HRM, it appears there is no foolproof way to really track this.
One day I tracked my calories for a 21 min walk/run on the treadmill. Using the HRM on my watch (which kept calculating even after I took it off), the counter on the treadmill & the C25K app on my phone. All three were quite different by as much as 100 calories.
Recently I have gotten back into biking. I use Map My Ride app to track my route, time, etc. It shows me how long the ride was and the number of calories burned. This app allows me to enter my age, sex, weight, etc.
For example, this morning I rode 5 miles, 36:37 mins (not lightening fast!). The MMR app showed I burned 477 calories for that workout. When I entered it under the MFP app I chose Bicycling, <10 mph, leisure (cycling, biking, bike riding). That gave me 287 calories burned.
Very true, I rode under 10 mph but for me, it was not leisurely at all. Considering my weight and low fitness level it was very strenuous. So I end up asking myself, do I enter 477 or 287? A person of a better fitness level who finds that ride easier probably would burn 287, but for me it was very challenging. The MMR app takes into consideration if you are going at inclines too.

This isn't to really ask any questions or solve any problems. I really don't know the answers, as I said, just an observation. Nothing is set in stone, I guess we just have to track the best we can.
I really enjoy MFP, it keeps me honest with my food intake! :happy:

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    You will even find considerable variations between HRMs as each company uses their own proprietary algorithms (one of the reasons I settled on a Garmin Forerunner GSP/HRM for my running and biking, the algorithm used for this model is reputedly one of the more accurate ones).

This is one of the reasons why many MFP members will use TDEE - 20% rather than the MFP net calories model to guide their food intake (except for my really long run days i find that both methods give me a very similar calorie target)
  • SuzCruz159
    SuzCruz159 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I'll check out the TDEE - thanks!
  • bdianaloseitnow
    bdianaloseitnow Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    what does TDEE stand for? Thanks.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    I think the point is yes, you do need to understand that these are all estimates, but you can get pretty close to reality if you carefully track all of your food and exercise and compare that against your weight loss/gain trend line over time.
  • TeresaMarie46
    TeresaMarie46 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    You will even find considerable variations between HRMs as each company uses their own proprietary algorithms (one of the reasons I settled on a Garmin Forerunner GSP/HRM for my running and biking, the algorithm used for this model is reputedly one of the more accurate ones).

This is one of the reasons why many MFP members will use TDEE - 20% rather than the MFP net calories model to guide their food intake (except for my really long run days i find that both methods give me a very similar calorie target)

I recently heard of TDEE. I am not quite sure what it means. Does it mean that the calories it gives you is what your daily goal should be?. And if so, is it ok to set it lower than what it gives you?
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    I'd trust Map My Ride, personally. I use the Map My Run app (which also has a cycling option) and I've found it to be very accurate with calories burned. It knows exactly how much effort you put into your workout including inclines, times you sped up, etc.

Also, I've noticed the MFP entry for cycling estimates quite low (unlike many other MFP exercises, which tend to estimate high). I think the MFP entry assumes you are using a road bike. If you're riding a bike that's much harder to ride (like mine), you're going to burn more calories. On my cruddy mountain bike, I can manage a maximum of 12mph when I'm giving FULL EFFORT. For someone with a road bike, 12mph is leisurely.
  • SuzCruz159
    SuzCruz159 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I'd trust Map My Ride, personally. I use the Map My Run app (which also has a cycling option) and I've found it to be very accurate with calories burned. It knows exactly how much effort you put into your workout including inclines, times you sped up, etc.

Also, I've noticed the MFP entry for cycling estimates quite low (unlike many other MFP exercises, which tend to estimate high). I think the MFP entry assumes you are using a road bike. If you're riding a bike that's much harder to ride (like mine), you're going to burn more calories. On my cruddy mountain bike, I can manage a maximum of 12mph when I'm giving FULL EFFORT. For someone with a road bike, 12mph is leisurely.

That's interesting, I never thought of the type of bike. I just looked again at MFP app, it does have a choice for "Bicycling, BMX or mountain (cycling, biking, bike riding)". I entered the time I rode yesterday under this category & it estimated 610 calories burned.
    I was thinking more about how much effort it takes me to propel my 264 lb body PLUS the weight of my mountain bike across the ground and up any inclines. It seems that somebody 1/2 my weight with a lighter bike riding at the same pace, time, distance, etc would probably not burn as many calories as I would. Does that make sense?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Options

this is exactly why I switched to this method...and, just simpler. That said, I still think people have a propensity to lie about their activity level...some shoot low and still set themselves as sedentary even though they're doing p80x in the morning, running 5 miles per day, then cycling in the evening....while others put very active when all they do is drone away on an elliptical for an hour a day.

OP, if you're going to stick with the net method (perfectly viable method) then I'd invest in a good HRM and then knock off 30% or so to account for estimation error.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Total Daily Energy Expenditure
  • cwolfman13
    Options

I recently heard of TDEE. I am not quite sure what it means. Does it mean that the calories it gives you is what your daily goal should be?. And if so, is it ok to set it lower than what it gives you?

Your TDEE is your Total Daily Energy Expenditure. BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate) + NEAT (Non Exercise Activity Thermogenesis) + TEF (Thermic Effect of Food) + EAT (Exercise Activity Thermogenesis) = TDEE. Your TDEE is essentially your maintenance level of calories. When people like me use the TDEE (gross) method for weight loss, we take our TDEE - X%.

The MFP (Net) method gives you a deficit of calories goal that excludes your EAT which is why you're supposed to eat back exercise calories and net to your calorie goal. The TDEE method incorporates your estimated EAT so you gross to your goal.
  • cwolfman13
    Options

Total Daily Energy Expenditure. Also, see my post above.
  • neonemesis
    neonemesis Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    The other thing is that heart rate monitors calculations become less accurate if you are not in the designated heart rate zone. my polar FT4 sets my heart rate zone to 126-165. i find when i'm under that the calculations become inaccurate.
  • Zaniejane
    Zaniejane Posts: 329 Member
    Options

TDEE stands for total daily energy expenditure. It is how many calories your body needs to maintain your weight. There are calculators you can use to estimate your TDEE online. You also need to know your BMR, or basic metabolic rate, and approximate body fat percentage. There are calculators on line for this also.

Check out this mfp thread:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/818082-exercise-calories-again-wtf

My goal was to lose 10 pounds. I have lost about 15 pounds in total now. The first 10 I ate my TDEE - 10%.