Good Gym Membership price?

Options
2»

Replies

• TheodoraEvlyn
    Options
    Thanks guys!

I've been doing a lot of looking around at different gyms (as of today, thanks to you guys :)) And either its a good deal but long waiting time for equipment, or expensive but no wait time what so ever.

The membership we plan on using is Century Fitness for the $15.50. I was also talking with my cousin (who introduced us to this place and who has been going there since a year or so ago) and he said we probably won't get a better deal else were (he's been to a few different gyms).

The contract is for 1 year. No cancelling. So either you go or you don't go and waste your money. However, after the one year we can continue going for the same price and stop anytime after one year. So if after the one year we choose not to go we can just cancel. Whereas right now we have to do the whole one year.

That isn't too bad as I know we'll go. I'm a very committed person and there is no way I'm wasting my money on something. So I know I'll definitely be going at least 5 times a week (if not more). The only thing is though at this gym you HAVE to sign up for one year. Regardless. Thing is what if I were to become pregnant within this year? We're not exactly trying, but things happen. I don't want to be stuck with a cost I can't use. Other gyms don't have a contract but they cost more. Do you think a gym would be understanding in that situation? Otherwise I guess I'll just have to pay won't I?
  • addean1
    addean1 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    We found a deal at $20 per month ach person- so $40 for dh and I. No day care but our kids are older, and we just leave them home. No pool either- but we do also buy a famiy pass for a local indoor pool for the family- which is $175 per year for the family. I love my swim days. :)
  • Sjenny5891
    Sjenny5891 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I pay $60 a month for a family membership. I can go to any of the YMCA's in the county. There is a pool and free daycare for up to 2 hours.
    The plus is that it is open at 6;30am when I get off work.

One of my friends says they pay $4.00 per Zumba class, so I figure it would cost the two of us $64 a month if we paid individually PLUS the Karate class we are taking. ( Just the basics, but we just started so it works)
  • BrunetteRunner87
    BrunetteRunner87 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I pay $35 per month. No pool or classes, but it's clean and has everything I need. To me it's worth it because it's super close to my house and open 24 hours. I'd rather have those two things than pool and classes.
  • MrsSenecal
    MrsSenecal Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I pay 30.00 a month for my membership. I also pay a extra 10.00 for tanning and 10.00 for a locker, so watch the "extras" sometimes they add up. I enjoy the classes, which is why I go to my gym. They have a different class every hour from 5am till 10pm. And I really like their classes.
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    Paying low doesn't always mean a quality center. Is Planet Fitness cheap? Sure, but it doesn't cater to my style of lifting. I pay $20/mth for my gym and no it doesn't have classes, tanning, daycare or whatever else. I actual prefer a gym that does not have that. It's catered to actual lifters and is always clean, stuff works if it does not, its fixed immediately and is not so big you feel lost. I rather pay more for that than for some corporate gym that has all of the above but crappy equipment and staff.
  • lorettasnewbeginning
    Options
    I don't know anything about Gym prices, but if you're paying $15.50 EACH, biweekly, then you'll be paying at least $61.00 per month for the two of you (Actually $67.17 on average when you account for the months with five weeks). Did I miss something?
  • magcat72
    magcat72 Posts: 1
    Options
    Why would it matter if you got pregnant? I trained right up to the week before delivery, and was back 6 weeks after the csection. Pregnancy isn't a reason to stop, its a reason to go! :)
  • F1TCH1K
    F1TCH1K Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    We are members of our closest YMCA (in Central VA, USA) and pay $72 a month for a family membership (2 adults and 2 children). There was no sign-up fee or any other changes, we have been members for years so I think the price is a little higher now but still no more than $85...also it's a very high end YMCA, nothing like our old center :)
  • NathanFronk
    NathanFronk Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I must be missing something.

Health clubs routinely charge $100-175/month.

$15.50 every two weeks is a bargain.
  • CrankMeUp
    CrankMeUp Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I pay $10 a month, but I am looking around for something that has more squat racks...it's a pain when I have to wait so long since my gym only has one.
  • xOoRACHoOx
    Options
    I am in Australia so whether or not this is relevant..

I pay $40 a month for a month, that includes everything except PT and I also have access to ALL their gyms across the country (it was an extra $5 a month for that to be added but I thought it was worth it as we travel a lot.

That includes pool, childcare, classes (including yoga, pilates and boxing).

Also my gym is 24 hours.
  • Synapze
    Synapze Posts: 499
    Options
    I pay $23au per fortnight for a 24hour Gym.

Has almost everything i could want, so i'm happy.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Chain gyms in the US typically charge an average of $25-$40/month, varying depending on location. Rates this cheap usually only come with agreement to a contract that is 1 or 2 years and does not include the cost of any kind of personal training (that is separate and can easily run you over $100 a month minimum). These gyms usually have very strict rules and are catered toward people undergoing more moderate intensity fitness programs. They typically do not stock all of the equipment needed to emulate crossfit workouts or any kind of sport specific training, and have rules that prevent you from using their equipment as such. For anything more you can easily expect to spend over $100/mo.