Losing 3 lbs a week? help?

Options
13»

Replies

• shadus
    shadus Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Look guys, I guess I'm just frustrated because I can't look in the mirror and see a difference. I don't even feel different. I want to NOTICE the difference.

I've been there. Take pictures, front and side each week, in your underclothes... bra & undies. Take them same day of each week around same time. Turn the time stamp on for the pictures or note down when you took them. Anytime you need to see the difference go back and leaf through them... you'll see it then. When we lose weight we do it gradually so we don't notice the changes in ourselves very rapidly... let someone not see your for a while or you see a picture of how you used to look vs how you look now and the changes are glaringly obvious.
  • ostrichagain
    ostrichagain Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    My biggest concern with rapid weight loss (and why I'm not doing it) is maintenance. I don't want to work so hard for so long and then find I've sabotaged myself in the end because I can't maintain my new weight. Again.

I also want to be skinny for Halloween! I've got plans!!! But I also want to be healthy come the rest of my life. Look to the long term too. That's all I'm saying. Good luck!!
  • timmemin
    timmemin Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I am glad that you are under doc. supervision and planning on losing weight. That being said, if you are having trouble losing 3lbs./ week there is a reason why. Dieting should become a lifestyle change and if you aren't feeling good (i.e. not eating enough) it will not be a permanent change. Take it from someone that has taken 2 years to lose 40 lbs. At first, I tried the really low calorie thing and I felt terrible all the time. I was light headed and not giving myself enough fuel. I would do great for a couple weeks or even months then give up and end up higher than my starting weight. Since then, I have changed my lifestyle adding more and more exercise and more calories and I feel great. And I know this is really hard for a 21 year old but put down the alcohol. It is empty calories that will definitely make you bloat if not stall your weight loss. Best of luck to you and consider adding a few more calories. At 1500 a day I am so much more productive and active. I swear it was the best decision I ever made.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    Take heart, you are making good inroads into creating your "new self". Someone said its 16 weeks to Halloween, I haven't consulted a calendar but if this is the case you could loose another 16 lb if you were to run at an average of 1 lb a week, 32 if you were fortunate to manage an average of two. Try not to look critically at yourself every time you look in a mirror. It is possible to change shape without actually loosing. Take key measurements and record them. Your clothes should be starting to feel looser. It is easy for me to say, "Rome was not built in a day", and possibly "anything worth having is worth waiting for".

You have a Doctor and Dietitian on your side to help you all they can. Try not to pressure yourself more than is helpful. I know if I put too much pressure on myself I set myself up to miss out on what I want to achieve. Enjoy the progress you have made. One thing is certain you will be smaller in three months and may be 6 months if you have that much to loose. The interesting part comes when we progress to maintaining our goals. Making changes for life will give us so much more than a new wardrobe.

All the best
  • SusanaLdn
    SusanaLdn Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    [/quote]
    'I was also eating more calories and not exercising very much.. that's why I'm wondering how to speed it up a bit. I'm sorry everyone feels the need to be so rude. Still a new thing to me!'
    [/quote]

Probably, believe it or not (took me two years to finally try it out and start losing fat, until then I was starving myself and losing muscle mass, getting crankier by the hour) the best thing you could do was a proper TDEE calculation, eat at TDEE minus 20%, measure your exercise with a HRM, eat those calories back. First two weeks, expect losing nothing, maybe even one or two pounds more. All of a sudden your new muscle and energy will start burning through fat like crazy. You might not lose 'weight', you will lose inches. Stick to it, it's the best advice I could ever give you. Muscle is heavier than fat. Please, do a search of topics like 'eat more lose more'. It will blow your mind and save your health :)
  • ashleyisgreat
    ashleyisgreat Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    'I was also eating more calories and not exercising very much.. that's why I'm wondering how to speed it up a bit. I'm sorry everyone feels the need to be so rude. Still a new thing to me!'
    Probably, believe it or not (took me two years to finally try it out and start losing fat, until then I was starving myself and losing muscle mass, getting crankier by the hour) the best thing you could do was a proper TDEE calculation, eat at TDEE minus 20%, measure your exercise with a HRM, eat those calories back. First two weeks, expect losing nothing, maybe even one or two pounds more. All of a sudden your new muscle and energy will start burning through fat like crazy. You might not lose 'weight', you will lose inches. Stick to it, it's the best advice I could ever give you. Muscle is heavier than fat. Please, do a search of topics like 'eat more lose more'. It will blow your mind and save your health :)

Exactly this.
  • hillm12345
    hillm12345 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    your current goals will set you up for failure. Eating so little each day will eventually lead to you just stuffing your face. I am 5'8 and currently restarting my journey after taking a month off. I started last week and weighed 166.7. I have netted anywhere from 1400 to 1800 cals a day (depending on activity level) and I just weighed in at 163.9 this morning. You can lose weight and still eat!! I promise. I also notice that if I don't eat or eat 1200> I actually gain weight.
  • Jessica_D_Shadow
    Jessica_D_Shadow Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    OP, I can understand your frustration in not seeing a difference fast enough. 30 lbs in 3 months is a bit much to shoot for. If you lose 2 lbs a week for the next 12 weeks you can lose up to 24 lbs! Unfortunately weight loss isn't always that simple. =/

1. Try to keep up your water intake.
    2. Eat your 1200-1300 calories like you have been.
    3. Keep a regular exercise routine & eat back your calories.
    4. Take measurements & progress pictures. You'll be amazed how much you change over time and can't see it in the mirror on a day to day basis.
    5. Don't rush it. I understand you are young and want to be slimmer in a quick amount of time. But setting outrageous goals for yourself is only going to hurt you & most likely make you quit when you can't reach them. Another reason not to rush is loose skin. Since you are 5'4" & over 200lbs, think of all the skin you have on your body right now. Look at all the skin it takes to cover up the current Body Fat % you are at. Now, all of that skin WILL shrink with you, OVER TIME. If you rush the weight loss, the skin will not have time to keep up with you! Then it will sag, and droop, and not be what you want. You'll get to your goal weight where you think you should be able to be in a bikini at that weight, but won't be able to wear one because of all the excess skin! If you take it slow, workout regularly, get in strength training your body with shrink together with you. Then hopefully when you reach your goal in a year or so, you WILL be bikini ready.

I understand your frustration. I know the negative comments can be frustrating. But, take it one step at a time girl. You got this! October is still 3 months away. Aim for 15-20 lbs by October. That way if you get down 15-20 lbs before then, it will be a huge victory & you could shoot for 5 more. It will make you happier in the long run. You CAN do this! Just take your time & do it right. Otherwise you will regret it.

<3 Jessica
  • Nerdygirlyyyyy
    Options
    I've currently been loosing 3 pounds a week for 2 months. I'm not morbidly obese and I haven't gone on an extreme diet. I've just cut out all junk food and I only drink water, milk and fresh fruit smoothies. I also haven't counted my calories. At first I was forking out for four hours a day and counting my calories, but it did not do much. So I cut down on how long I exercised. By simply cutting out junk food and drinking enough water a day, you should be closer to getting the results you want. Hope this helps
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I've currently been loosing 3 pounds a week for 2 months. I'm not morbidly obese and I haven't gone on an extreme diet. I've just cut out all junk food and I only drink water, milk and fresh fruit smoothies. I also haven't counted my calories. At first I was forking out for four hours a day and counting my calories, but it did not do much. So I cut down on how long I exercised. By simply cutting out junk food and drinking enough water a day, you should be closer to getting the results you want. Hope this helps

Strong first post :huh:
  • NonnyMary
    NonnyMary Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    OP, if you believe you CAN lose 3 pounds a week or whatever you feel that you can do, then if your body will even allow you to do that, it might happen (though it might not be healthy, im not saying it is healthy or not).

What i AM saying is, some people try to do it healthy and no matter what they do they still cannot do more than half a pound a week.

so even if you WANT to lose 3 pounds a week (or whatever) your body might not allow you to do that).

so .... do what is healthy and lose as much weight as your body allows, and when halloween comes - whether you have lost 10 pounds or 20, then thats all your body will have lost. Thats it.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    For what it's worth, OP is a few months old, and judging by her recent posts is no longer trying for 3 lbs/week.
  • NonnyMary
    NonnyMary Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    ohhh, well halloween is just 30 days from now .. wonder what she is doing ????
  • FrankiesSaysRelax
    FrankiesSaysRelax Posts: 403 Member
    Options

Strong first post :huh:

LOOOOOOOOOOOOL