dieting..and alcohol?

Options
I'm a junior in college, and like many of you know college kids like to drink. I don't wanna miss out on the fun with my friends, but I don't wanna take in all of the calories. Is there any drink that I can have that I won't feel super guilty about?

Replies

• Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Have you looked into those 'skinny girl' drinks? I know they have less calories. If I wanted a hard drink with less calories, I'd probably do a vodka tonic with diet tonic water, a twist of lime and a splash of cranberry juice, just for color. I usually stick to a glass or two of wine nowadays though.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    Are you saying that you can't have fun without drinking?

No one can tell you what drink you will feel less guilty about. That's on you. There are choices out there that can be 90 calories while at the same time there are 600 calorie drinks. You need to decide what is more important for you right now. Partying and drinking with your friends or losing weight.

Also, drinking alcohol is more than just the amount of calories per drink. It also affects fat loss.

Well, what a way to assume things about people.

OP: vodka with a twist of lime or a good whiskey on the rocks. Have some water in between your beverages and enjoy socializing with your friends. (and always have a DD :smile: )
  • Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options

No one can tell you what drink you will feel less guilty about. That's on you. There are choices out there that can be 90 calories while at the same time there are 600 calorie drinks. You need to decide what is more important for you right now. Partying and drinking with your friends or losing weight.

Also, drinking alcohol is more than just the amount of calories per drink. It also affects fat loss.

Well, what a way to assume things about people.

OP: vodka with a twist of lime or a good whiskey on the rocks. Have some water in between your beverages and enjoy socializing with your friends. (and always have a DD :smile: )

Lmao!!! Well, they were just asking a question! They weren't assuming anything. You just took it the wrong way. :-p
  • kaned_ferret
    kaned_ferret Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I drink almost every day (yeah I know but it's one of the few pleasures I have in life) - I just make sure I log it all and try to stay within my calorie allowance. Red wine is pretty good for this. Tonight my wine out me over by a bit so I jumped on my criss trainer for 10 minutes, it's a fair trade IMO!
  • QueenWino
    QueenWino Posts: 106
    Options
    I love adult beverages! There are a few ways to go: white wine spritzer, vodka and soda water (with a splash of cranberry if desired), or an Amstel Light beer. Balance the drink with a club soda and enjoy. Relaxation and social fun will keep you happy and not deprived.
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    Captian Morgan and Diet Coke is one of my favorites. At home I mix vodka with Crystal Light Lemonade. Generally though, I don't sweat it. It's not like I'm drinking every night.
  • FlowersInTheDirt
    FlowersInTheDirt Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    *Regretting the two glasses of rose i had tonight)

Everything in moderation. Vodka and lime is great. Gin and slim line tonic etc
  • victoriavoodoo
    victoriavoodoo Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Straight vodka? Mixers are where it gets dangerous with the calories and sugar. If you do shots(and not the nice sugary ones that are delicious) but the nasty straight ones, you'll get whatever level of drunk you want(by regulating shot number) and wont overdo the calories.

This method doesnt taste very good but it works. I'm a sucker for margaritas and daiquiris, if I just want to sip something I'll get one sugary drink and not let myself have more but if I wanna feel the liquor straight up nasty shots are the way to go.
  • evansproudmama
    Options
    I've lost almost 50lbs and still drink but I muse add that I can almost guarantee that drinking has slowed my weight loss progress (not halted) and that I make horrible food choices when im drinking. Plus it can be hard to keep track of calories when drinking mixed drinks if you arent the one making them and how many you are having if in a party environment. With that said heres my tips for ya :-)

1. On the days you plan to go out at night I always do a long mucho calorie burning cardio session. Not weights because alcohol effects your muscles growing back and that will just defeat your purpose.

2. I always make sure I am full on healthy foods before going out, this helps me to drink less

Now as far as drinks even though I love a yummy fruit maragarita or a cute cranberry vodka or martini it's just not in the cards when I'm trying to keep my calorie numbers out of the red so instead I stick to the following;

-Light Beer (my fave is Michelobe Ultra or MGD 64)
    -Vodka with water (yes plain old water, not soda water or tonic water just water) with a lemon and lime in it
    -Cucumber vodka (or any flavor really) with water. (again regular water)
    - When I drank soda I would also get Diet Coke and Vodka

All these are 60-90 cals a drink and the vodka options are no carbs.

It takes getting used to but like someone mentioned earlier you have to decide which means more to you and I can tell you from experience once you lose the weight it makes going out that more fun! and you need to drink less which helps your progress all together!
  • dctexas65
    dctexas65 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I will usually have a flavored vodka and a diet Sprite or 7 up (about 100 calories, depends on brand) or my new favorite beer (cheaper) is Michelob Ultra Lime Cactus 95 calories....
  • erikmsp72
    erikmsp72 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I only drink when I have the calories for it . . . so that narrows it down! But because I only drink occasionally, I generally have ONE drink. That is both because I don't have the calories for multiple drinks and because, well, when you only drink occasionally, one drink can affect you pretty quickly and thoroughly. I don't get tipsy from one glass of wine but I definitely feel the effects.

If I don't have a lot of calories, I have one glass of wine. If I have a lot of calories, I have one good malty delicious beer.

And then I switch to water for the rest of the night.
  • howardheilweil
    howardheilweil Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Yep... My favorite at the moment is orange infused vodka and diet tonic. Pretty low cal... Around 80 I think.
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options

lol. aren't you a buzzkill.

i agree with the vodka and low cal mixer options.

this is kind of neat: http://getdrunknotfat.com/
    has various alcoholic drinks broken down by calories and ABV.

cheers! :drinker:
  • micqs
    micqs Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Fruity mixers are a bad way to go. Full of sugar and increase calories in drinks like by a gajillion. If you don't like beer, like me, I always went with captain and cokes. Stay away from margaritas. They have one of the highest calorie content out here. However I just found a beer that I enjoy. A light beer which someone previously mentioned. Michelobe ultra. Has 95 calories. I enjoy the cactus lime and the raspberry pomegranate. Doesn't have the "beery" taste. Stay away from wine coolers. A lot of sugar and calories.

http://getdrunknotfat.com/apple-home/
    http://www.weightlossresources.co.uk/calories-in-food/alcoholic-drinks.htm
    http://www.drinkaware.co.uk/understand-your-drinking/unit-calculator
  • Mercedespony
    Mercedespony Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Yep... My favorite at the moment is orange infused vodka and diet tonic. Pretty low cal... Around 80 I think.

mmmm must note this one.
  • CoffeeLush
    CoffeeLush Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Bourbon, bitters, orange peel and club soda. Low calorie Old Fashioned.

Vanilla vodka and diet coke.

Blueberry Stoli's vodka and club soda.

Gin, lime wedge and club soda. Low calorie gimlet.

White wine, orange peel or lemon wedge and club soda. Spritzer.
  • RunFarLiveHappy
    RunFarLiveHappy Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Top shelf tequila shots. Water in between. Delicious & nutritious (okay that's a stretch, but relatively low cal)
  • ostrichagain
    ostrichagain Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I play poker with a bunch of awesome women for whom drinking is a competitive sport. I have some wine and pretend to be completely sloshed the rest of the night.

I realize this makes me a dork. I'm okay with that. Nobody usually notices or doesn't care my intake doesn't match my hysterical laughter. I usually win the whole pot anyway.