What to do at night?

Options
ksavy
ksavy Posts: 271 Member
I work odd hours compared to most people. I am almost always on a 3pm-11pm shift at work and work the majority of weekends. What is there really to do between say midnight and 3am? I find I spend a lot of time just sitting around watching tv shows and such. As far as working out goes, I am in the military so I go to the base gym when it is open, so that is before work. And I cannot really hang out with coworkers because I am always on shift by myself. Any ideas?

Replies

• ksavy
    Options
    Bump... Anyone?
  • ostrichagain
    ostrichagain Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Take up astronomy. Become a crime fighter. Late night clubs. Read. Teach yourself to play a quiet instrument.

When my DH worked that shift we networked our computers and played Diablo all night.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    Educate yourself. Learn a new language, learn a useful/useless skill.

Or watch dirty movies. Either works.
  • MrsSenecal
    MrsSenecal Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Educate yourself. Learn a new language, learn a useful/useless skill.

Or watch dirty movies. Either works.
    There ya go!
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    Gym or MFP message boards
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,803 Member
    Options
    https://www.coursera.org/#

Free online classes. I took one on Nutrition. I work swing shift and work every weekend so I feel your pain. Others have had some great ideas as well.
  • rgrange
    rgrange Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    alcohol
  • kcrxgirl
    kcrxgirl Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Read, take a bubble bath, fold laundry. I used to work that shift. Things I recommend against: watching food network (I always got ridiculous burger or burrito cravings at 1 am when everything was closed) and watching Ghost Adventures :noway:
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    sex...alone if you have to.
  • whierd
    Options
    https://www.coursera.org/#

Free online classes. I took one on Nutrition. I work swing shift and work every weekend so I feel your pain. Others have had some great ideas as well.

Thank you for that link. I'm always down for continued education.
  • ksavy
    Options
    I managed to work it with my bosses to start taking classes in person next month, so then at least I will have homework to do.

Being a crime fighter would be awesome!

Alcohol is not as much fun when you get to the bars when most people are already buzzed/drunk.
  • tehboxingkitteh
    tehboxingkitteh Posts: 1,574 Member
    Options
    Read.

Do you play any instruments?
  • ksavy
    Options
    I read an insane amount already, mainly because I can bring up the kindle app at work so I read during down time.

I am not musically inclined, I tried when I was younger but realized that singing was the way to go.

I want more ways to get out of my house and meet new people, but seeing how I only even see my current friends once every week or two because of their work schedules and min not matching up it makes it hard to see a new person often enough to really be good friends with them.
  • BenchPressingCats
    BenchPressingCats Posts: 1,826 Member
    Options
    usually I revive old MFP threads with turtle gifs

Turtle-toy_133.gif
  • Jonesingmucho
    Jonesingmucho Posts: 4,902 Member
    Options
    There are a couple places near me that have Midnight bowling. Good music, drinks - if you want - and you can be as social as you want. Most of the people I met there were very friendly and oddly very eager to talk about getting the wood, pitching the ball, out and in, fit hit, cranker, and several other things that sound possibly dirty, but are related to bowling.
  • tehboxingkitteh
    Options
    sorry, I'm an introvert. I'm not much help.
  • whierd
    Options

Yeah, going out to meet new people was the last thing I would have thought of.
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    It depends.

I used to (when I did shift work) like to come home, watch tv, go on the internet, read. I definitely wouldn't work out because that would keep me awake for a few hours more.
  • lostdogg
    lostdogg Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    sex...alone if you have to.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ THIS
  • tehboxingkitteh
    Options

Yeah, going out to meet new people was the last thing I would have thought of.
    You. I like you.