Food Scales

Options
I think I've been doing everything right with my diet and exercise lately, but I haven't lost any weight. And the more I read into it, the more I think I've been underestimating the calories in the food I eat. If it's true that one cup of cereal I measure can be 50-100 calories more than if I weighed it using a scale, then I'm definitely interested in buying one. Same with peanut butter. Someone said one tablespoon of PB might be 100 calories more than we think just by measuring it with a food scale.

So, here are my questions for you.
1.) Do you have a food scale- if yes, do you find it helpful/accurate/worth purchasing?
2.) What brand do you have/what brand do you suggest?
I found a $3 scale on Amazon but am skeptical about it. Does your scale have a "Tare" option to measure the container; should the one I buy have a tare function?
Epica and Ozeri brands are both about $15 and look pretty nice, too.

Thanks in advance for responding!
PS.) Please don't ask me questions about my exercise/calories. I'd like responses to be mainly just about food scales. I exercise a lot- weight training & cardio- and don't undereat; I've looked into all that already, that being why I'm now questioning the accuracy of measuring food in tablespoons and cups etc.

Replies

• PhattiPhat
    PhattiPhat Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I just bought this one today on Amazon
    http://www.amazon.com/EatSmart-Precision-Digital-Kitchen-Silver/dp/B001N07KUE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1373768004&sr=8-1&keywords=food+scale

I decided on it cause it was fairly cheap and the reviews on amazon were good.
  • candicane32081
    candicane32081 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I use a little cheap one from walmart, I think it was like 5 bucks. It's nothing fancy, but it measures and it's got a built in measuring cup.
  • stardancer7
    stardancer7 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Mine was inexpensive at Wal(lowinaffluenza)-mart. It has a Tare function which I sometimes have used and the brand name is Taylor. I think i've only replaced the battery once since last August when I purchased it. I measure in grams, but it can do grams or ounces.
  • ddky
    ddky Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I have one I bought at Kmart for $20. It is so much easier than measuring. I put my cereal bowl on the scale before I turn it on and then just pour the cereal until it gets to 28 grams. For peanut butter, put the bread on the scale before you turn it on and then just add the peanut butter to the bread until you reach the serving size you want. I wish I had gotten it at the beginning of my diet.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,105 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend it as well. I have an inexpensive digital one. I have found it generally true that the weight amount is often different from the volume estimate of what is supposed to be equivalent.
  • fat2fit72014
    Options
    I bought a digital one from Walmart for $25. I originally bought the $5 measuring cup one and it broke. This one you can do oz & grams which I love. Highly suggested.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    A cup is not an accurate way to measure solids items. It can vary due to the way that the items are cut stuffed into the cup or how the item settles. It seems to be a cultural thing. It is unlikely for a British home not to have some scales even if people don't do much cooking. I was amazed when I first joined the amount of Americans who don't own one.
  • Shari325
    Shari325 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I have the Ozeri Touch Professional Digital Kitchen Scale.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006N0OIIG/ref=oh_details_o09_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    I LOVE this scale. I almost never use measuring cups or spoons, even for baking, any longer. This scale measures in pounds, ounces, and grams. I use grams most of the time, but use the ounce function for yogurt, etc.

I was over estimating food - I was taking portions that actually weighed less than I was accounting for.
  • StephF3692
    StephF3692 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    i have the orezi also. it has a tare function, and easily switches from grams to ounces etc. highly recommend.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Doesn't need to be expensive - should be digital, be able to switch between grams and ounces and have the tare function. It is very useful!
  • littlebudgie
    littlebudgie Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Not sure what brand my current one is, but I love it; it does grams and ounces, and it has a tare function, which I highly recommend. It's much more accurate than cup measures, because 100 g of, say, flour is always 100 g. A cup, on the other hand, might differ depending on how much you packed it, if it's rounded or smoothed, etc. Definitely a major help for weight loss.
  • dlanoux
    dlanoux Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I have the American Weigh Scales LB Series Precision Compact Digital Bowl Scale. It is about $22 on Amazon. I really like it.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002SVNEWA/ref=pe_157280_30726490_email_1p_0_ti
  • myralou88
    myralou88 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Seconded on the Ozeri! Fabulous scale
  • DrPepper000
    DrPepper000 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I use the digital scale I bought to measure my yarn for knitting. It does tare, grams, oz, and pound/ounces. It weighs up to 11 pounds. $19.95 at KnitPicks.com. :smile:
  • unoriginalusername007
    unoriginalusername007 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for all the responses, everyone!
    Yeah, I never knew how big a thing food scales were in other countries and how much of an asset they were to weight loss. I can't wait to invest in one now! Your advice is greatly appreciated; thanks again. :happy:
  • Project9
    Project9 Posts: 135
    Options
    Thanks for the Walmart tips, I'm headed there for my food scale