Sugar

Options
Alright I try to fill in snacks with a peach, nectarine, grapes, etc. I am finding that I am going over my sugars on these days that I choose these as snacks. They are "healthy snacks" but how bad is this for my weight loss? I stay at or under my calorie goals and I do work out at least 6 days a week.
Anyone else go over in sugars from fruits? :explode:

Replies

• CeleryStalker
    CeleryStalker Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I don't even TRACK sugars because they mean nothing when they are coming from real food. It'd be different if I was loading up on MnM's and soda, but I'll be damned if I'm going to get upset over the amount of sugar in an orange. The fiber more than offsets it, and the nutrients within that piece of fruit far outweigh any benefit of trying to remain below a certain number of carbs/sugar for the day.
  • emersoam
    Options
    I stopped keeping track of sugar in my food diary, because I would go over by mid-morning some days! If you eat fruit, you WILL go over MFP's recommended sugar levels. I try to keep my fruit intake to 3 servings a day, since they do have natural sugars. However, I would never eliminate fruits from my diet, because they are great snacks and have tremendous nutritional value.
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    Alright I try to fill in snacks with a peach, nectarine, grapes, etc. I am finding that I am going over my sugars on these days that I choose these as snacks. They are "healthy snacks" but how bad is this for my weight loss? I stay at or under my calorie goals and I do work out at least 6 days a week.
    Anyone else go over in sugars from fruits? :explode:

All the time.

Two oranges take me way over the top. I stopped tracking sugar as it was really only fruit I was getting the sugar from, I no longer eat cakes or sweets or anything like that anyway.

I love fruit and personally, I have never found it to inhibit my weight loss in any way, shape or form.

Eat your fruit, it is sure better than eating a lot of other snacks and fruit is far from "empty calories"
  • kelly_a
    kelly_a Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    there are some fruits that are lower in sugar than others...the berry family, the melon family and peaches to name a few. I have changed a few of my selections and it DID make a difference in my wt loss. however, I agree that all fruits are good for you.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Like others said, I don't even track sugar. On a day when I eat nothing but whole foods with no added sugar, my sugar is way over. It hasn't affected my health or my weight loss efforts. I limit refined carbs and junk food, but otherwise, I don't worry about it.
  • SweetPandora
    SweetPandora Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    I don't track my sugar but I recently posted about eating too much fruit in a day.

Today I am switching out one fruit for a serving of yogurt to see how it goes.

I am trying to eat clean so at the moment I am not worried about the natural sugar in fruit.

Karen
  • sarahliftsUP
    sarahliftsUP Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I find tracking my sugar on here pointless. It's a waste of a category because, like a lot of people have said, I would go over my sugar for the day just on two servings of fruit.

I wouldn't stress about it... and would replace your sugar category with something else. It always angered me to see the sugar numbers in red by 10am.
  • suecq09
    suecq09 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I tend to agree with these folks. If you are eating fruit - don't worry about it too much. Just avoid fruit juice - you want the fiber to offset the sugar.

Speaking as a diabetic - its something I look at a bit more than most would ever need to.

Keep choosing healthy foods and stay within calories - you are doing a great job.
  • Melaniegibson
    Options
    Thank you all so much for the feedback - I l-o-v-e this site for many reasons, but the community support is AWESOME!
    I will be 40 in a few days - and I have never tracked calories, fats, etc. After a knee injury that set me back, then 3 surgeries (non knee related) I had about 8 months of no working out! I did pack on about 12-14 lbs - and my husband will be home on R&R in about 22 days.... That is why I joined this site - but all the feedback on my concern was helpful!
    Thanks so much!!!!