Most important foods for civilization as we know if?

Options
_noob_
_noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
I'm gonna say animal meat/fat, corn, wheat and other grain, sugar, beer and other booze, and legumes.

All are safe ways to store calorie rich foods (or store the calories in grain safely while also sanitizing water).

I'd give an honorable mention to nuts as well.

Speaking from a historical perspective...in case that wasn't clear.

Replies

• MorningWhispers
    Options
    Calorie rich or nutrient rich?

Give me nutrient rich foods over calorie rich any day.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    According to these forums, Pop tarts.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    I'm going to agree. The "problem" of having too much food available is a very recent phenomenon and has only occurred in a handful of countries. It's also not guaranteed to continue.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    According to these forums, Pop tarts.

Pop Tarts are an ice cream accompaniment.

Ice cream is the most important food.
  • PhattiPhat
    PhattiPhat Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    301406893_1369168904.jpg
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    Hands down, the most important food was wheat/grains. Beer and bread built civilization.
  • BeachIron
    Options
    Has anyone else read "Salt: A World History?"

That's another one to seriously consider.
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I realized that in how I worded this thread. Sugar was also important for similar reasons, which was why I included it.

I think civilization was probably to the point that it would have developed without refined sugar, but it was still very useful.
  • whierd
    Options

Oooh...that is actually a good one. Empires were built and destroyed on salt.

For those not wanting to read up on the historical importance of salt: It was used to preserve food, to destroy land, as currency (the term "worth your salt" has its roots in Roman soldiers being paid in salt), used as a way to tax, as a medical tool, etc.

Fascinating stuff.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Salt isn't really a food. It has zero caloric content.
  • SrJoben
    SrJoben Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Western Civilization was built on cereals. Most of the others that amounted to much were too.

Some people think the reason ANY civilization started was because people wanted enough grain to make beer in quantity,

If no grain, no beer.
    If no beer, no farms.
    If no farms, no towns.
    If no towns no cities.
    If no cities, no large scale specialization of labor.
    If no specialization of labor, no modern technology.
    If no modern tech. no internet for Paleo folks to complain about grain on. :wink:

So grain. I don't think anything else is even close.
  • whierd
    Options
    Western Civilization was built on cereals. Most of the others that amounted to much were too.

Some people think the reason ANY civilization started was because people wanted enough grain to make beer in quantity,

If no grain, no beer.
    If no beer, no farms.
    If no farms, no towns.
    If no towns no cities.
    If no modern tech. no internet for Paleo folks to complain about grain on. :wink:

And that is my initial reasoning as well. Beer was necessary as a way to preserve the grain and as a way to have a sterile source of liquid. Very important to civilization.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    Hands down, the most important food was wheat/grains. Beer and bread built civilization.

Yes. Clearly. Without grain, there wouldn't be the civilizations we know and love.
  • BeachIron
    Options
    Salt isn't really a food. It has zero caloric content.

It is a necessary nutrient though and it's use in the preservation of foods prior to refrigeration and the development of modern preservatives was vital. Without salt there never would have been the Age of Exploration. I agree, however, that grains are #1. The book is an interesting read if though for anyone who has the patience for it.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options

If no grain, no beer.
    If no beer, no farms.
    If no farms, no towns.
    If no towns no cities.

And that is my initial reasoning as well. Beer was necessary as a way to preserve the grain and as a way to have a sterile source of liquid. Very important to civilization.

Ditto. Grain, from a purely anthropological perspective, built the world.

And it tastes good with salted meat.
  • BeachIron
    Options

If no grain, no beer.
    If no beer, no farms.
    If no farms, no towns.
    If no towns no cities.

Ditto. Grain, from a purely anthropological perspective, built the world.

And it tastes good with salted meat.

But then we have the fact that we never would have developed the brains we have without meat, and without our brains we wouldn't have civilization. You know, just to be a PITA here.
  • PhattiPhat
    PhattiPhat Posts: 349 Member
    Options

Oooh...that is actually a good one. Empires were built and destroyed on salt.

For those not wanting to read up on the historical importance of salt: It was used to preserve food, to destroy land, as currency (the term "worth your salt" has its roots in Roman soldiers being paid in salt), used as a way to tax, as a medical tool, etc.

Fascinating stuff.

Guns, Germs, and Steel by Jared Diamond. His theories are interesting as to why some cultures progressed faster and stronger than others. He talks a lot about the animals and food back then.
  • koshkasmum
    koshkasmum Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Well if we are just talking modern life any of the preceding answers would do it, but if it's true civilization you are talking about I'd say a really good Brie ( and a complimentary wine)......
  • Kamikazeflutterby
    Kamikazeflutterby Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    Bone marrow. Pure freaking fat caused our brains to evolve.
    Because meat is relatively easy to digest and rich in calories and nutrients, early Homo lost the need for the big intestines of apes and earlier hominids. This freed up energy for use by other organs. This surplus of energy seems to have been diverted to one organ in particular - the brain.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sn/prehistoric_life/human/human_evolution/food_for_thought1.shtml
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Bone marrow. Pure freaking fat caused our brains to evolve.
    Because meat is relatively easy to digest and rich in calories and nutrients, early Homo lost the need for the big intestines of apes and earlier hominids. This freed up energy for use by other organs. This surplus of energy seems to have been diverted to one organ in particular - the brain.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sn/prehistoric_life/human/human_evolution/food_for_thought1.shtml

Nice research :flowerforyou:

Someone once told me how sweet potatoes had saved China.