need a healthy squash/zucchini recipe

Options
margiea1
margiea1 Posts: 5
Anybody have any delicious but healthy squash and/or zucchini recipes? I in the past I would've breaded and fried them or sautéed in butter. Need other ideas. Thanks.

Replies

• littlebudgie
    littlebudgie Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I just brush them with lemon juice and garlic and barbecue them until they're tender.

I'm also partial to grating them with a cheese grater and adding them to scrambled eggs.
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    Butternut squash casserole
    Ingredients
    •2 medium butternut squash, peeled and cut into chunks
    •1/2 cup sugar
    •2 eggs
    •1/4 cup milk
    •2 tablespoons butter
    •1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    •1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    •1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
    Directions
    •Place squash in a large saucepan and cover with water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 12-16 minutes or until tender. Drain.
    •In a small bowl, beat squash until smooth. Add the remaining ingredients; beat well. Spoon into a 1-1/2-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Cover and bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a thermometer inserted near the center reads 160°. Yield: 6 servings.

Nutritional Facts
    3/4 cup equals 246 calories, 6 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 82 mg cholesterol, 75 mg sodium, 47 g carbohydrate, 9 g fiber, 5 g protein.
  • orapronobis
    orapronobis Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Cut into very thin slices. Spray both sides with Pam. Sprinkle with salt (and other spices, if you like). Bake at 300 for about 20 minutes until crispy.
  • MorningWhispers
    Options
    I love zucchini and tomatos!

Here's my recipe that we love at my house -

take a zucchini and slice it long ways. (I sometimes cut it in half and then slice each half long ways)

Place the zucchini strips face up, skin down in a baking pan.

Sprinkle a little olive oil on your strips (or if you don't want to use oil, use chicken broth)

sprinkle garlic salt or garlic spread powder

chop up a tomato into small pieces and spread them over your zucchini slices.

if you eat ham or bacon (be sure the bacon is cooked first), add a little of that to each slice.

Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese (optional)

Bake in oven for approximately 20 min at 375.
  • margiea1
    Options
    Thanks littlebudgie, I like the shredded in eggs idea!
  • margiea1
    Options
    Thanks melindasuefri. Do you think I can do this with regular yellow squash?
  • vegan4lyfe2012
    vegan4lyfe2012 Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    Use a julienne peeler and peel it, skin included, into a heaping hill on your plate. Then, make a healthy spaghetti sauce and pour on top. It's really good and as a bonus, the calories are around 30 for a medium sized one :)
  • MorningWhispers
    Options
    Butternut Squash - Here's the way I made it today (my first time eating it)

Peel and dice the squash.

Place in baking dish - add a little vegetable broth (or chicken broth) (I use progresso broth in a box items)

sprinkle with a little salt.

Sprinkle with cinnamon.

Bake in oven for 30 min or til squash is tender. (comes out the consistency of roasted potatoes)

To make it go further do the same thing with a sweet potato and cook them together.
  • alfiedn
    alfiedn Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    My husband and I LOVE zucchini enchiladas. Don't use too much cheese and they're pretty healthy.

http://afoodiefamily.com/2013/04/26/vegetarian-enchiladas-ole/

edited to add: the original recipe is on skinnytaste.com (I can't remember if it's in MFP database already, but many of the recipes from that site are)
  • CuteMonkeyGal
    CuteMonkeyGal Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Just made zucchini boats tonight on the grill.

Grilled Zu-Canoes
    Number of servings -4

Generic - Zucchini - Medium, 2 Medium
    Spices - Salt, table, 0.5 tsp
    Spices - Pepper, black, 0.5 tsp
    Extra Virgin Olive Oil, 1 Tbsp (15mL)
    White Wine Vinegar, 1 tbsp
    Onion - Onion, Yellow, Small, Whole, 0.5 each diced
    Veggie - Roma Tomato, 1 medium diced
    Mozzerella Cheese Stick, 1 stick diced
    Spices - Basil, fresh, 2 tbsp
    Calories Carbs Fat Protein Iron Fiber
    Total: 305 25 21 11 13 6
    Per Serving: 76 6 5 3 3 2

Cut the zucchinis in half lengthwise. Scoop out the pulp leaving about 1/4 of an inch. Slice out the bottom of the zucchini to make it sit flat. Spray the bottoms with PAM or similar spray. Mix the pulp and the other ingredients and then fill back up the boats. Put on the grill over medium high heat for about 15 minutes or until done. Enjoy!
  • Shari325
    Shari325 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I have a couple...
    Zucchini Tots - A low carb version of a Skinny Taste recipe.
    Zucchini Tots
    Servings: 2 Serving Size: 6 tots
    Calories: 130 • Fat: 6 g • Protein: 10 g • Carb: 9 g • Fiber: 4 g
    Ingredients:
    1 cup zucchini, grated and pressed
    1 large egg (4T whites)
    2 T onion, diced
    1/4 cup reduced fat sharp cheddar cheese, grated
    2 T Chia Seeds
    salt and pepper to taste
    cooking spray

Directions:
    Preheat oven to 400°. Spray a mini muffin tin with cooking spray.
    Grate the zucchini into a clean dish towel. Wring all of the excess water out of the zucchini. In a medium bowl, combine all of the ingredients and season with salt and pepper to taste.
    Fill each muffin section to the top, pushing down on the filling with your spoon so it's nice and compacted so they don't fall apart when you take them out of the tin.
    Bake for 20 minutes, or until the tops are golden.
  • Shari325
    Shari325 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Zucchini boats
    Scoop out the inside. Fill with cheese and sausage (similar to lasagna filling). Pour on spaghetti sauce. Bake until squash is cooked and tender.

The other night I sprayed a skillet with Pam, and tossed in finely sliced onion and zucchini. added a little salt and pepper at the end. Very yummy!
  • 1longroad
    1longroad Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Grilled in the George Foreman grill

Chop zucchini, 1 per person
    Chop onion to taste
    Spray skillet with Pam, or use fat of choice
    Sauté the zucchini and onion until tender, adding salt, pepper, garlic and seasonings of choice
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    allrecipes.com
    skinnytaste.com
    sharp magazine's website
    goudamonster.com

Or google will also bring up more sites too.

you can also click on the search function of MFP and search. There are a lot of recipes there. Or you can try the blogs but you'd have to wade through them. I don't think you can search blogs to narrow it down.
  • sweetpickle1004
    sweetpickle1004 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    My friend made these the other day...so awesome! Calories per serving: 110, Fat: trace, Cholesterol: 0mg, Sodium: 437mg

Potato - Zucchini Pancakes With Warm Corn Salsa - Diabetic

http://www.grouprecipes.com/99866/potato---zucchini-pancakes-with-warm-corn-salsa---diabetic-friendly.html
  • joyce0624
    joyce0624 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    bump
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    I use Land O Lakes Saute Express and just sautee slices for a few minutes. Quick and easy.

And lately, since I have a brand new grill, I've been cutting them into planks about 3/4" thick, spray with with a butter flavored canola oil or olive oil and sprinkle with seasonings - I've just been using Morton's Seasoned Salt.
  • megsi474
    megsi474 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Another vote for zucchini boats/pizzucchini. Very easy and tasty.
  • hotmomma0612
    hotmomma0612 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
  • talk2elles
    talk2elles Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Courgette/zucchini, red onion and carrot 'quiche' - this is actually an oven baked omelette! Grate 3 medium sized carrots into a large Pyrex dish. Cut the courgette/zucchini into 3 pieces then use a mandolin on the firm and outer parts of the courgette/zucchini. Finely chop one red onion. Place all items into the Pyrex dish and mix. Beat 6-12 eggs, add spices of your choice (I add a pinch of cayenne pepper, sage, rosemary and salt but it is also tasty with curry powder too) then pour over the veggies and put in the oven at 180'C for 20-40minutes depending on how well cooked you like your omelette/'quiche'
    234kcal per 1/4 when made with 10eggs

My daughter (7) her favourite snack at the moment is courgette/zucchini slices (1cm deep) topped with Garlic Philadelphia (it's a soft cheese), golden sultanas/currants and pine nuts...they are really moreish!