Other Florida Justice

Options
AndyLL180
AndyLL180 Posts: 57 Member
You're obviously better of killing the person you're afraid of instead of just firing warning shots...

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-57433184/fla-mom-gets-20-years-for-firing-warning-shots/

Replies

• _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    Legally speaking you're always best off if whoever you shot at is no longer breathing (this is an emptionless post, so please don't hate)
  • simplyciera
    simplyciera Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    OMG...I don't even know what to say.....
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    America's justice system is really, really, really ****ed up.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    I wish that case got more of the attention it deserves and I hope she has a good team of lawyers for the appeal.
  • simplyciera
    Options
    I wish that case got more of the attention it deserves and I hope she has a good team of lawyers for the appeal.

It should've. Lol there won't be an appeal any time soon. We all know that.
  • JasonT1973
    JasonT1973 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    No winners tonight... none.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options

Actually, the appeals schedule is set by statute most of the time. I hope her lawyers take heed and this situation changes for her.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

It's a domestic abuse situation so some group may get involved. I have no knowledge of the case so I can't form a reasoned opinion, and press reports have their flaws, but it hits me as pretty effed up.
  • AndyLL180
    AndyLL180 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Its a year old. It's making the rounds again ( I remember it the 1st tie ) because of the Zimmerman trail.

There is not much to appeal on.

The husband said she shot at him. The prosecution went with that version even though he admitted he hit all 5 of his 'baby mommas'. The jury believed him even though she had a restraining order against him.
  • JeremiahStone
    JeremiahStone Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Today Americas justice system did exactly what is designed to do. Overlook any prejudice and come up with a verdict acquired from all evidence. No one knows exactly what happened that night. But have we forgotten "innocent until PROVEN guilty?"
  • Haley_alyssa98
    Options
    This country worries me.

I know we're better than this, but right now we just look like fools to the rest of the world.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    I had to restrain myself from posting this story in another thread. It just.....jaw-drop. She gets 20 years for firing warning shots at her husband, who had been arrested previously for domestic violence. The Stand Your Ground Law does not cover trying NOT to kill someone, apparently.
  • simplyciera
    Options
    Today Americas justice system did exactly what is designed to do. Overlook any prejudice and come up with a verdict acquired from all evidence. No one knows exactly what happened that night. But have we forgotten "innocent until PROVEN guilty?"

To me, 'innocent until proven guilty' is bull. It came from a good place, but it's been so misconstrued to the point that law is no longer about finding truth. The prosecutor's job is to send people to jail. A lawyer's job is to stop people from going to jail. Neither is trying to find truth.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options

To me, 'innocent until proven guilty' is bull. It came from a good place, but it's been so misconstrued to the point that law is no longer about finding truth. The prosecutor's job is to send people to jail. A lawyer's job is to stop people from going to jail. Neither is trying to find truth.

The law system is also largely adversarial as well.
  • simplyciera
    Options

The law system is also largely adversarial as well.

Exactly. It' not about protecting anyone. It's about winning. It's a shame. Tell me why the prosecutor has the right to charge a person with all types of crimes without having to get those charges approved by anyone? Prosecutors stack the deck in their favor alllllll the time! It's all a circus. That movie Chicago had it sooooo right.
  • JeremiahStone
    JeremiahStone Posts: 682 Member
    Options

I do agree with you to an extent, everything, politics/law/even medicine to an extent has become a huge money making game. However, I hate when anyone starts to form sides on a case like this, especially when we know so little :/
  • simplyciera
    Options

I do agree with you to an extent, everything, politics/law/even medicine to an extent has become a huge money making game. However, I hate when anyone starts to form sides on a case like this, especially when we know so little :/
    Very true. By making snap decisions, we're feeding right into the hands of those who use emotional appeal to win cases rather than facts & up-to-date, logical laws.

I read about this case that the woman was being beat, left & went to the garage, came back to where the abuser was, and fired warning shots. This was played by the prosecutor that she had every opportunity to get out of the situation, but she didn't. This was spun as her being an angry, crazed aggressor even though the abuser ADMITTED to abusing 5 women AND she had a restraining order against him.

*sigh*
This discussion has been closed.