cheater

Options
Help! I'm a cheater! After I finish logging all of my food for the day I often continue eating. Does anyone else have this problem? My calories are usually used up by the afternoon and when my husband comes home in the evening I often blow it. He just has to mention food and I go running to the kitchen to stuff my face. Has anyone overcome this issue?

Replies

• FunkBunny
    FunkBunny Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I'm guilty of this myself! I try to avouid it, but it happens anyway with the evening snacks and a cocktail. Try keeping unhealthy foods out of the house and have on hand only the good stuff (by good I mean healthy, not the junk you really want) It's hard, but it does help if the food just isn't there to begin with.Also...log it anyway, I was shocked when i actually did this and realized I had easten an addition 1000 calories, yes 1000! in a matter of three hours. that has helped curb the empty eating!
  • ashley_h10
    ashley_h10 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    i have had the urge to do that too! What keeps me from doing it is telling myself that im only cheating myself...the computer doesnt care and it is just a record done by YOU, your body knows the truth :) LOL

Maybe your not getting enough cals to stay full, try working your meals so that they are low cal during the day and leave some cals for night time, this is what i do :)
  • tcreech76
    Options
    I totally understand! One trick I heard, and have started using...try to distract yourself for 10 minutes (put off eating by doing a chore, etc), and many times the craving/thought passes. I do struggle with this though, especially when I am stressed.
    One other trick I try is to drink some water/crystal light/etc. instead of eating. I usually try to drink something with flavor, so I feel like I got to taste something.
    Hope this helps!
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    If your calories are already used up by the afternoon, then you're not spreading them out well. I don't know what your calorie goal is, but I'm on 1200 cal/day plus exercise - this works really well with three 300-400 calorie meals, plus three 100 calorie snacks between meals. If you spread them out and eat good quality food - lean meats, fresh veggies/fruits, nuts, beans, healthy fats - then you won't feel as hungry.

Make sure you're drinking PLENTY of water - this helps with hunger too, and make sure you're getting enough fiber. MFP's recommendation is very low - most adults need 25-35g per day. I changed my goal to 35.

If you do all then, then all that's left is learning to say NO. Think of willpower like a muscle - the more you exercise it, the stronger it gets, but if you give in all the time and don't exercise it, then it will stay weak.

Edited to add: I meant to add whole grains, processed as little as possible (oatmeal, quinoa, etc.) to the list of good food above, and to add that you should try to stay away from processed foods as much as possible. Not only do they have lots of bad stuff in them (preservatives, etc.) but they tend to leave you less satisfied and more likely to want to keep eating!
  • fiftyandfit
    fiftyandfit Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    are you eating enough during the day to keep you satisfied?

a former cheater (many many times) finally came to the realization
    that who am I really hurting and cheating on??? MYSELF! then
    it starts a vicious cycle of low self esteem due to no discipline and
    the "i've already blown it, i might as well eat this too" mode.
    try taking a walk in the evening.........away from the kitchen. have
    hubby walk with you!
    good luck on your journey
  • SBecken87
    Options
    I thought about doing this yesterday when I gave into my craving up chips. I was full just got done eating dinner and really wanted them! I had no reason to want to eat, I just did. I felt guilty and logged it anyways and ended up working harder at the end of the day to try to make up for it. I def see how just a little slip can mess things up cause I gained 1/2 an inch on my chest and my tummy stayed the same. I also gained a pound :( So after seeing that I realize that I WONT be doing that again. I threw all of my junk food away, my mom still has hers but I know its hers so I wont touch it. I wont eat my moms food so that helps buying my own stuff.
  • Andi1977
    Options
    Your not the only one. I have do it also..I think the best thing to do is to tally all the food ya eat no matter what.. Today i'm going to be honest with my self... That is hard for me.. Becouse I love to tell myself one cookie won't hurt.. It would be grand if it was truly only one. So ya got a cheerleader in your corner... Yeah You Can D_O_ IT_!!! (Jumping... screaming---> me)
  • crazybxrmom
    crazybxrmom Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    are you eating because you are hungry or because it is a habit?

Ideas of behaviors incompatible with eating.. singing, scrapbooking, sewing, knitting. Pretty much anything that keeps your hands and/ or mouth busy.
    You can also go for a walk, do anything that gets you out of the house..leave your debit card and cash home. take a bottle of water with you.

If you really think you are hungry then try this little trick I learned a long time ago..suck on a peppermint and drink a 16 oz glass of water, a lot of times we are just dehydrated and the mint helps our mind think we are feeding the body while the water has time to register.
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    Yes, agree with all of the above. Plan better, spread out the calories, eat filling foods during the day, drink lots of water. AND don't take this the wrong way, but it should be said.. you have to be 100% committed to do this and making a lifestyle change! If you aren't committed, this will not work for you. You may have read people talking about their, "ah ha" moment. The moment they decided, "enough is enough! I'm going to make a change". When you get to that point, you will find it easier to stay on track!

Good luck to you! We are all here for support! :flowerforyou:
  • precioustypeoflove
    Options
    if u think ur gonna cheat maybe u should work out a little more to burn off more cals, and it helps if ur husband doent tell u that food is in the house my boyfriend is my big supporter i told him that i wanna go on a strick diet and he really helps me alot if i pick something up he will ask is it ok for me to eat and he knows it hard for me to turn down food i love so he will eat healthy with me if u have a support system i will help u and logging it in would b good just so u can c how much u went over so 2morrow u will know not to do it ur only cheating ur self be strong and fight that craving
  • cakesmooth
    cakesmooth Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I felt better just writing it out! Thanks so much for all of the advice and support. I was on weight watchers for 3 months before joining MFP and lost 19 pounds. One thing I really liked about it is that it gave you an additional 30 or so points to spend per week for weak moments such as these or for a cocktail hour after dinner. I think I'm still allowing myself those points in my head but I need to stop and all of your advice will help! Thanks so much!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I had taken a long break from tracking recently. I lost 26 pounds a couple years ago and was doing well maintaining that (I wanted to lose more, but was OK with maintaining for a while) and then I packed on 11 pounds in a month and got sick of myself. I wasn't tracking or being honest when I was. So, I started a blog and decided to be completely honest in my blog. I post about how I feel about things and react to things and some tips, but I make a point of posting my previous day's food every single day for the world to see.

It's kept me on track now for almost two weeks. It might be something to try. It's easier to be accountable to others than to yourself.