New to me! Help, hear my story....

Options
Hi, My names Kaylyn Iam 26 years old, a mother of a 6 year old and a nurse. I weigh 226.9lbs and iam 5'4. I wasn't always overweight.... it came and stayed along with bad habits after my baby. As you know when you are a young mother a lot changes in your world... I lost a lot of friend who only wanted to party which I no longer had time for, so I kind of stopped going out. Between working a lot... 12 hr nightshifts at a nursing home and seeing my son and fiancé(who is also overweight) I just don't do a lot of the things I used to.
Im depressed and I don't feel good most of the time. I hate the way I look and usually take hours getting ready to go anywhere cause I just cant find anything that looks good anymore. I want to change so bad. My fiancé is also wanting to change, We are both sadly feeding our addictions together though, I smoke... drink a lot of diet cola, and eat terribly... and so does he.
But... its time, I have the modivation now. I want change. I should also add I have thyroid disease and am on 150mg of synthroid.
Ive been looking at programs like insanity, p90x etc... was also looking into the shakeology bit....
I don't care about abs ... and I never wanted to be stick thin, Iam between size 16p and 18p now and would like to be a 10p or 11p. I think that is realistic.
Any suggestions on what program I could use... diet.... help me out, whats worked for you? :)
thanks
Also, welcoming new friends...

Replies

• walleyclan1
    walleyclan1 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    Find something you will love so you can stick with it. Dancing, boxing, rollerblading? Have some variety in diet and exercise so you don't get bored. Find ways to join family time and exercise so you don't feel guilty.
  • lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Hello:
    I have noticed many RN's lead unhealthy lifestyles...which seems ironic to me, as you probably see the results of a poor lifestyle on a regular basis.
    My advice is to forget about crap like p90x, shakeology, and dieting.
    Commit to making small changes...baby steps, that you can maintain for the rest of your life.
    Start by super simple things like substituting whole wheat bread for white bread, walking for 20 minutes 3 or 4 times a day, and stop smoking.
    Tracking my calories right here on MFP helped me substantially.
    You have to pace yourself, you won't see immediate results.
  • simonc14
    simonc14 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Hi Kaylyn,

It's great that your fiancé wants to go on this journey with you, so hopefully you can offer each other moral support. I think you should just find whatever work-out fits within your schedule. Having a young child and working night-shifts does make it hard to find the right quality time, but it can be done i'm sure. It's worth bearing in mind that weight loss is about 80% what you eat, and 20% what you do, so make sure you get the diet right. If you follow the MFP guidelines and set the right goal, and try and lose at a steady rate you will succeed! Good luck with it!
  • joshuaroberts58367
    joshuaroberts58367 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi Kaylin,

I work at night as well for a hospital and I pull 10 hour shifts so I feel you. I will tell you what has worked wonders for me. Number one, this website and app. Being aware of what you are putting in your body makes you think twice about eating it. Secoundly, i've been using a tracking device called a fitbit flex. You wear it around your wrist and it tracks how much calories you burn from doing everday walking. It will even track your sleep. And lastly, I exercize 2 to 3 days a week at the gym. I know that is hard to do but I go about an hour before work and then shower and get ready for work. It makes me feel better and more alert at work. Also, see if your hospital has a gym area for their employees. Mine does and it saves me a lot of time. I've lost 12 pounds already and it's only been a month since I started. Hope this helps you and feel free to friend me if you need more advice/encouragement. Good luck on your journey