Unable to loose weight on Insanity

Options
I seriously feel like crying.
I feel HUGE right now. I've gained weight from Insanity. I am currently in week 5 of the workout and just feel like giving up. I was a bit flabby before but at least then I could fit into my clothes. Now I can't fit my clothes!

Yes, I have more muscles, yes I have more endurance.
My diet consists of mostly fruits and vegetables, although I've indulged in some sweets in the last couple days from some really bad stress. But despite everything I feel like a hippo!

I was eating about 1,900 my first month - I have NO idea how much I should be eating now, but its to the point where I am terrified to eat anything because I feel like its all becoming fat.

Replies

• Zaniejane
    Zaniejane Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Breathe.

How awesome that you gained muscle AND endurance!

This is fantastic!
    Is 1900 your TDEE when sedentary? If so, were you logging accurately? I don't know what your TDEE is, but I have a feeling that this may lead you to the key to success in your goal. If you did log a d measure accurately for one month then you have terrific information that will help you succeed. 5 weeks is a raindrop in a bucket compared to the rest of your life! You can do this.

I don't think you should blame insanity:).
  • Angel_Cake25
    Angel_Cake25 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Breath.

How awesome that you gained muscle AND endurance!

This is fantastic!
    Is 1900 your TDEE when sedentary? If so, were you logging accurately? I don't know what your TDEE is, but I have a feeling that this may lead you to the key to success in your goal. If you did log a d measure accurately for one month then you have terrific information that will help you succeed. 5 weeks is a raindrop in a bucket compared to the rest of your life! You can do this.

I don't think you should blame insanity:).
    Muscle and endurance hurray!
    I don't have money to buy a new closet of clothes to fit my body!!!
    Hurray!

I'm sorry, I am really irritated. I have no idea what is going on, and I just feel huge, in the way and bulky. I am really disappointed and from looking at other posts see that people are not having lots of success with this program. I'm just... burning out and loosing hope.
  • karli2121
    karli2121 Posts: 12
    Options
    If I may add...I tried insanity for a little while and I just hated it. It was the worst thing in the world and forcing myself to do it was tough but I figured it'd be worth it with results. I didn't get any results really, soo I stopped and switched to Zumba. That is where all the results are going to come from and it is so fun! I would suggest trying Zumba for a few weeks bc that's almost guarentees to take inches off your waist relatively quickly!!
  • ellew70
    ellew70 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I just finished and was pretty happy with the results. I found I did better when I was following the diet plan very closely, although I lowered my calories from what they recommended (1800 to 1500). Strongly recommend trying the 5 small meals at 300 per meal that the suggest in the plan. I noticed a difference when I was following it from when I wasn't
  • Angel_Cake25
    Options
    If I may add...I tried insanity for a little while and I just hated it. It was the worst thing in the world and forcing myself to do it was tough but I figured it'd be worth it with results. I didn't get any results really, soo I stopped and switched to Zumba. That is where all the results are going to come from and it is so fun! I would suggest trying Zumba for a few weeks bc that's almost guarentees to take inches off your waist relatively quickly!!

I did Zumba, I didn't eat right back then so I didn't really see results... but I'm considering just switching over to hip-hop abs. I dunno. Insanity has really messed up my back and ankles. :/
    I had to get a chiropractor to adjustment yesterday, my entire back was TIGHT and unmoveable.
  • Angel_Cake25
    Options
    I just finished and was pretty happy with the results. I found I did better when I was following the diet plan very closely, although I lowered my calories from what they recommended (1800 to 1500). Strongly recommend trying the 5 small meals at 300 per meal that the suggest in the plan. I noticed a difference when I was following it from when I wasn't
    I graze through out the day. When did you see results? And if I have to follow the diet plan EXACTLY, I can't... I don't have that kind of money.
  • ellew70
    Options
    I graze through out the day. When did you see results? And if I have to follow the diet plan EXACTLY, I can't... I don't have that kind of money.

I don't think you need to eat his recipes but look at what they are trying to do. I did a 40/40/20 split with no refined carbs.. only whole wheat, brown rice, etc. My typical day was a protien smoothie in the morning, plain yogurt bowl with an apple and nuts for second breakfast, a turkey wrap and piece of fruit for lunch, cottage cheese and tomato for late snack, and turkey chili for dinner.

I saw some little results early on, but I think the most were in the 3rd and 4th week of each month. I ended up losing 15 lbs and 5 inches off my waist (160 to 145)... I'm 5 2 and 43 years old, by way of comparison.

ps I didn't do shakeology or any of their other supplements. The only "special" thing I bought was the protein power.
  • unoriginalusername007
    unoriginalusername007 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    To the OP, I feel your pain, literally and figuratively! I'm just starting Recovery Week- week 5- and I haven't lost any weight. I've gained muscle, and I notice that by realizing my arms and legs are more toned, but I haven't lost a single pound. My pants don't fit me any better either; at first I thought I gained so much muscle that though the scale didn't budge I may've lost fat around my hip area. Heh, nope. So I'm super disappointed about that aspect, but I don't want to give up. Not after this long. I was eating about 1900 calories a day as was suggested by the book's calculation too. I'm going to try staying closer to 1600 calories this next month of Insanity and seei if it makes any difference. Insanity has screwed up my body, too. I went to the chiropractor on Thursday and he was like "what have you done to yourself? Your back is much tighter than it normally is." And my ankles have been sore lately, too. Gees, this is the motivation board; I'm not being motivational at all; I'm sorry! Anyway, I'm going to push through with Insanity because 1.) I like Insanity more than monotonous running on the elliptical or treadmill for 50 minutes 2.) I paid an arm and a leg for it and would feel guilty for paying so much if I don't get the full use out of it 3.) I primarily blame myself for not getting good results in terms of weight loss- I think if I cut my calories just a smidge I should be okay. I have Insanity MFP friends and they're losing weight, so I know it's possible. They're just going more by MFP's calorie suggestion than Insanity's. I think I'll find a range in the middle, since Insanity's was too high for me and MFP's is too low for my age IMO. 4.) Any vigorous workout program is going to trigger aches and pains in my body; I'm just not used to it since I didn't do anything too strenuous before beginning Insanity. I just have to work through it. I read a quote "Suck up the pain for now, so you don't have to suck it in later" Absolutely love that quote lol =D
  • ellew70
    Options
    To the OP, I feel your pain, literally and figuratively! I'm just starting Recovery Week- week 5- and I haven't lost any weight. I've gained muscle, and I notice that by realizing my arms and legs are more toned, but I haven't lost a single pound. My pants don't fit me any better either; at first I thought I gained so much muscle that though the scale didn't budge I may've lost fat around my hip area. Heh, nope. So I'm super disappointed about that aspect, but I don't want to give up. Not after this long. I was eating about 1900 calories a day as was suggested by the book's calculation too. I'm going to try staying closer to 1600 calories this next month of Insanity and seei if it makes any difference. Insanity has screwed up my body, too. I went to the chiropractor on Thursday and he was like "what have you done to yourself? Your back is much tighter than it normally is." And my ankles have been sore lately, too. Gees, this is the motivation board; I'm not being motivational at all; I'm sorry! Anyway, I'm going to push through with Insanity because 1.) I like Insanity more than monotonous running on the elliptical or treadmill for 50 minutes 2.) I paid an arm and a leg for it and would feel guilty for paying so much if I don't get the full use out of it 3.) I primarily blame myself for not getting good results in terms of weight loss- I think if I cut my calories just a smidge I should be okay. I have Insanity MFP friends and they're losing weight, so I know it's possible. They're just going more by MFP's calorie suggestion than Insanity's. I think I'll find a range in the middle, since Insanity's was too high for me and MFP's is too low for my age IMO. 4.) Any vigorous workout program is going to trigger aches and pains in my body; I'm just not used to it since I didn't do anything too strenuous before beginning Insanity. I just have to work through it. I read a quote "Suck up the pain for now, so you don't have to suck it in later" Absolutely love that quote lol =D

I agree.. I found the books too high and MFP too low, which is why I split the difference at 1500 and it seemed to work. I was burning between 700 and 1000 cals a workout by my HRM in the second month, but you do pound your body. I took two weeks off in between before starting a second round. My wrists are what hurt the most.. I had to modify and wear wrist support. My ankles bothered me at first but they definitely got stronger. For the ankles, I didn't jump as high as they did, focused on "landing softly" and invetsed in a good pair of cross trainers that take care of the fact that I supinate - that helped a lot. I did the ab work out and the stretches barefoot.
  • Angel_Cake25
    Options

I am all messed up again after my workout today. Last night I slept like I haven't in MONTHS. I was so rested when I woke up I didn't need a nap to carry me through the day. Now my back is all tight and aching. I am in misery. I dunno if I am gonna finish - on just my back problems. Ugh. Its WAYYY too tight for me to function properly.
  • ellew70
    Options

I am all messed up again after my workout today. Last night I slept like I haven't in MONTHS. I was so rested when I woke up I didn't need a nap to carry me through the day. Now my back is all tight and aching. I am in misery. I dunno if I am gonna finish - on just my back problems. Ugh. Its WAYYY too tight for me to function properly.

Do you have a foam roller? it might help. If you do continue, watch your form on the squat moves and slow down. I found if I went too fast my squats had bad form and it hurt my back. If its truly painful (as opposed to sore) you should stop and do another program.
  • sebedina
    sebedina Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    AWH please don't put yourself through this unhappiness. What on earth is "insanity"??

I put myself on a 3 day intervention. I weighed myself on Wednesday and had 3 days on 1,500 caloris. weighted myself on Saturday. Lost 2 pounds.

Now, I am 2 pounds lighter I am doing 1,700 calories a day (I am 14 stone) plus 2-3 exercise sessions of swimming a week. I am now on week 1 and hope to lose 2-3 pounds this week.

It is not "insanity" as I am building up my fitness gradually, enjoy doing the activities like swimming and trying to be more active. BLISS. I am calling this my "bliss".. avoid "insanity"... Build and plan for SUCCESS and HAPPINESS. Dump the road to disappointment. Try it believe me it works....Just be a little more active.... do stretches, dancing or anything you enjoy. Please do it...
  • Angel_Cake25
    Options
    AWH please don't put yourself through this unhappiness. What on earth is "insanity"??

I put myself on a 3 day intervention. I weighed myself on Wednesday and had 3 days on 1,500 caloris. weighted myself on Saturday. Lost 2 pounds.

Now, I am 2 pounds lighter I am doing 1,700 calories a day (I am 14 stone) plus 2-3 exercise sessions of swimming a week. I am now on week 1 and hope to lose 2-3 pounds this week.

It is not "insanity" as I am building up my fitness gradually, enjoy doing the activities like swimming and trying to be more active. BLISS. I am calling this my "bliss".. avoid "insanity"... Build and plan for SUCCESS and HAPPINESS. Dump the road to disappointment. Try it believe me it works....Just be a little more active.... do stretches, dancing or anything you enjoy. Please do it...

Insanity is a work out program....
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options

Insanity is a very difficult DVD programme.
  • tiffysinc
    tiffysinc Posts: 13
    Options
    From your results I think what you're seeing is an increase in muscle mass without a decrease in fat. What I'd recommend is substituting some of your strength training for more cardio. Ex: Instead of doing the tapes in the order they say, maybe do 5 days of the cardio and the recovery/yoga exercise on your 6th day? Or you can switch your regimen to something a bit more cardio centric. Even something as simple as alternating doing insanity with an hour of walking should give you more of the results you want.

But, essentially, cardio is the best and most efficient way to lose fat (whether HIIT or longer, less intense cardio). While muscle helps burn fat as well, building too much muscle without burning fat just adds mass. I recommend Billy Blanks Tae Bo as it's mostly cardio but incorporates a lot of core and strength training. My mother and sister have had amazing results with it.
  • tiffysinc
    tiffysinc Posts: 13
    Options
    Sorry- one more quick thing. Insanity is a very difficult exercise program and takes a serious toll on you, both physically and mentally. If you haven't been exercising regularly, I would recommend building up your physical strength and mental discipline before beginning. I think it's important to be aware of your body's strengths and weaknesses before you begin as you'll be able to cater your recovery and stretch routines to your body. ie if you know you have weak ankles before starting, you can devise modifications to reduce the strain on them during exercise and/or add stretches that target them to prevent excess soreness/tightness. Some people have no issues starting insanity full out but our bodies are different so it's important to cater a generic exercise program to yourself.
  • berriboobear
    berriboobear Posts: 524 Member
    Options

I did Zumba, I didn't eat right back then so I didn't really see results... but I'm considering just switching over to hip-hop abs. I dunno. Insanity has really messed up my back and ankles. :/
    I had to get a chiropractor to adjustment yesterday, my entire back was TIGHT and unmoveable.

I'm in my second week of Month 2 Insanity, it's definitely a love/hate relationship WHILE I'm in the middle of a workout, but afterwards I love the feeling! I've never really enjoyed these circuit type intense workouts, I'm a dancer and love to enjoy the music and have fun moving... but Insanity has been getting the job done for me - burning while strengthening my muscles.

That being said, I have also been doing Hip Hop Abs as a hybrid mix with Insanity (along with other things). I don't follow the Hip Hop Abs calendar, but I enjoy adding on the "Total Body Burn" and "Fat Burning Cardio" workouts after Insanity... sometimes along with a run on the treadmill.

My weight loss has been primarily based on this routine since I've started on MFP, along with my diet change. I did however, experience a plateau during the Month 1 Insanity, but I measured and had lost more inches than pounds.

Good luck, and remember that it's the way you feel and move more than a number!

ETA: I have also done Zumba, love it! Great fun way to get a decent burn :)
  • Journey2newwomen
    Journey2newwomen Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I seriously feel like crying.
    I feel HUGE right now. I've gained weight from Insanity. I am currently in week 5 of the workout and just feel like giving up. I was a bit flabby before but at least then I could fit into my clothes. Now I can't fit my clothes!

Yes, I have more muscles, yes I have more endurance.
    My diet consists of mostly fruits and vegetables, although I've indulged in some sweets in the last couple days from some really bad stress. But despite everything I feel like a hippo!

I was eating about 1,900 my first month - I have NO idea how much I should be eating now, but its to the point where I am terrified to eat anything because I feel like its all becoming fat.

Is your period about to start. I know that for me I can pack on weigh up to 5 lbs 4 weeks before my cycle starts. Whatever you do dont give up! I did and now I regret it. Who cares if I wasn't losing 10lbs a month I was pretty solid. Then I got discouraged kinda like you. I was mad and could be patient. Now I am 10 lbs heavier than I was before and have to start from ground ZERO! That hurts me everyday knowing that If i would've just kept going I would've been good. Dont give up. I a slowly working my way into it though:)