Labor Day Weekend Away-YIKES!

Options
My husband and I are leaving tomorrow morning to go to his parents house for the long weekend. His father also had an exploratory heart surgery thing yesterday, and will need to lay low and would appreciate the company....

Anyways, so yes, I am stressing that my meals, and my weigh in - which is usually Saturday mornings- is all going to be thrown off...

This is my plan as of right now, I'm going to weigh in tomorrow morning- Friday, before we leave.

But his mom already informed me we'll be having lasangna, etc, and YIKES, I don't know what else she's cooking, what she's putting into it, and when/if we're going out. See, all these things, I have control of when we're at home, and I cook, and we seldom go out to eat anymore.

My MIL knows that I'm on this healthy eating journey, but her hubby, self and my hubby still eat whatever they want.... and that's thier choice. How do I go into this not feeling STARVED?! I can eat little portions, but then who knows if it will fill me up? If I bring granola bars, and other snacks, my MIL will most likely feel hurt that I'm eating that instead of her meals.

I'm just worried that my sodium will sky rocket... and I'm on a 4-6 glasses of water per day prescription from my Dr. since I was overdosing on it, and that was the thing causing my dizzy spells!

I'm just a worrying mess right now knowing it's going to be hard to control the food for 4 days...
Any advice you have would help greatly!
Thanks Much!!!!

Replies

• storm1424
    Options
    You said it yourself: your MIL, FIL, and hubby are allowed to make whatever choices they want on how they eat. So are you. If your MIL knows that you are on this more healthy journey of eating, etc. yet chooses to not accommodate you in some way by serving healthier veggie sides or providing you with snacks that would satisfy you, you have every right to bring your own snacks. You can eat the food she serves in smaller portions and sub in healthier snacks. If she has a problem with it, explain the situation to her. I know it is easier said than done, but maybe (if she has internet access) you can show her this site and put in the foods that she is making and show her how detrimental to your journey of a healthier you the food she is providing is towards achieving your goal. I was able to sway several in-laws why I choose to eat when and what I do simply by showing them how this site works!
  • taylorfishburn
    taylorfishburn Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I had a long weekend with my boyfriend's family last weekend so I totally understand your struggle. This is what I did to survive.

1. I accepted from the begnning that i was not going to lose an ounce and just made it my goal to not get too far behind. I entered everything as accurately, despite the frightening numbers and then the following week I tried to make up the deficit little by little. By trimming and extra ~200 calories a day the follwoing week I was able to make up almost all the overage I had from the weekend, and te few hundred calories I couldn't I just accepted and moved on. You want to skip next weeks weigh in to give yourself two weeks to make some extra progress so you don't get frustrated.

2. I would be open with his mom about trying to lose weight and put the blame on "doctors orders" to emphasize it being about YOUR health and not a judgement of her lifestyle.

3. Eat her meal and prraise then for being so delicious and so tempting and emphasize how you wish you could eat more.

4. When you get there go to the stores and buy fixings for big salads that you can prepare and have with each meal so you can have a smaller serving of the "bad" food.

5. If you like to cook, offer to help with meals and come prepared with recipes for healthier sides so you have some items you can eat at each meel. Just having steamed veggies (so easy to make!) or some mashed potatoes you know aren't loaded with butter can make a big difference.

5. You're smart to being healthy snacks because my downfall wasn't so much the actual entrees she prepared but the constant snacking. They were constantly bringing out food and we when you're just hanging around the house its hard not to find yourself eating out of boredom so if you had some healthier alternatives to eat during these times I think it will be a huge help.

6. Again, just accept this isn't going to be your best three days but its not going to put you back you were. Enjoy the food, don't let yourself stress about it and ruin your time there.An extra 20 minutes of cardio a couple days next week, skipping a couple glasses of wine next weekend and you can make some of it back and more importantly, in a few weeks when you look back at all the progress you ahve made these few hundred extra calories won't even be a blip on your radar. It's a marathon not a sprint.
  • sarahliftsUP
    sarahliftsUP Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Maybe offer to do some cooking? That way she can get a break and you can eat what you normally do. Or just ask if you can cook what you eat as well. I mean, she shouldn't force you to eat what you don't normally do.

When I first met my boyfriend's mother I had to explain to hear that I was vegetarian.. she didn't force me to eat pork, beef, etc. But I showed up with my own food and showed her how I cooked it.

I think you can get through the weekend without stressing. Relax, have fun!
  • dcgcsc
    Options
    I think storm 1424 made a brilliant point in what she said as well as asteriodysmars. You should offer to do some of the cooking and help cook some healthier foods. Because it seems if your father in law just had an exploratory heart surgery thing yesterday he should be eating healthier, too. Well, Good luck over the holiday weekend.:happy: