Tennis Elbow :(

Options
Jeneba
Jeneba Posts: 699 Member
How can I work my upper body while I am recovering? I haven't lost any strength in my arm, but picking up a weight causes discomfort...

Your thoughts?

Replies

• theycallyoumister
    theycallyoumister Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    when i was going to physio for the very same thing, i had to avoid my "traditional" exercises until i was medically cleared. It's ok...in the long run you need your health :smile:
  • Jeneba
    Options
    Such a pain!!!! I am doing a LOT of aerobics, but that doesn't really make me happy..... I am thinking I will just do lower body work-outs until the situation improves. I don't presently have access to a pool, but if I need to join another gym, I just might think about swimming.... I just hate the cold water, though.... Glad you are feeling better!
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options
    Well of course it's always best to check with your dr. Mine told me to push through it with support. This is what he suggested for support> https://www.google.com/search?q=tennis+elbow+support&client=firefox-a&hs=uN0&sa=X&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&biw=1116&bih=556&tbs=vw:l&tbm=shop

It's been months, and while it's much better, it's still there.
  • Jeneba
    Options
    Thanks! I have one and it is invaluable! I usually rub some arnica oil with rose and lavender on it, sometimes Tiger Balm. But - wow! You have had this for months????? Oh nooooooo!
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options
    Months, but the real pain was gone in about one month. Now I just notice it when I'm lifting. Sometimes I wear the little sleeve thing, and sometimes I don't have to. The dr said it can take a while for it to go away completely. He would not give me a time frame but did say if there was no relief in 6 weeks, I could come in for a shot. I never needed that.

Good luck =)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,668 Member
    Options
    I have golfer and tennis elbow in both elbows. If I warm them up sufficiently, the light discomfort is tolerable. Once you get it, it practically never goes away. In other words it becomes chronic. For some, using a neoprene sleeve on the elbow helps. They have tennis elbows straps too, but I find them too restrictive for lifting.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Jeneba
    Options
    Thanks, Everyone! I sure hope this doesn't become chronic for any of us. I am fortunate to have a good friend who is a massage therapist. She worked on my arm yesterday and it feels a lot better this morning! But - one thing that is so devilish about this condition is that it can seem to disappear and then just flare up out of nowhere! My friend recommended gauze soaked in epsom salts.... I will try it today and let you know....
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    want to get together for a tennis match today?
  • marcoscu
    marcoscu Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem and it is a drag because it can last for ages. You may have to just try running or swimming until it rights itself. Time is the best medicine and don't try and push the arm until it is better or you will regret it.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Your best option is to rest. It will go on for ages otherwise.

Could try a high rep deload month? Also, you may find it only hurts with some exercises.

I've got something similar to tennis elbow but on the inside. It means I can't do wide pull ups and front levers but other things are fine.

You may have to resort to (are you sitting down?) weights machines.
  • Jeneba
    Options
    The REAL problem is that the injury most likely started at work.... The Mouse.... I hope to find a solution SOON! Meanwhile, the hour-long massage from last night seems to have done wonders! I am going to do a lower body workout today and then a restorative yoga class....

We shall see....
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,668 Member
    Options
    I've got something similar to tennis elbow but on the inside. It means I can't do wide pull ups and front levers but other things are fine.
    This is referred to as "golfer's" elbow.

IDEA Fitness member
  • Fithealthyforlife
    Fithealthyforlife Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    The REAL problem is that the injury most likely started at work.... The Mouse.... I hope to find a solution SOON! Meanwhile, the hour-long massage from last night seems to have done wonders! I am going to do a lower body workout today and then a restorative yoga class....

We shall see....

Lawn mowing every few days and computer mouse use are two big culprits. I am facing a minor case from lawn mowing in my right elbow. I am resting, using my left as much as possible, and gently stretching and strengthening my forearms.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    This is referred to as "golfer's" elbow.

IDEA Fitness member

Yeah, well aware of it. Cheers. :)
  • Jeneba
    Options
    My arm seems to like moist heat rather than ice. Anyone else have the same experience? I will let you know about the epsom salts. Going to try it in a few minutes.
  • Jeneba
    Options
    The experiment seems to have worked fairly well! I soaked an ace bandage in epsom salts and then wrapped it on my entire arm. I then used a hot moist heating pad for 20 minutes & left the bandage on over night.... This morning, I just have some achiness, but not horrible stiffness or pain. WOW!
  • LordBear
    LordBear Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    i overextended my elbow while sparring one night..and ended up messing up my other one while at the gym lifting weights a couple of days later. so i had to stop with the weights for a while and while sparring i had to ask my sparring partner to take it easy on the power with the kicks... but i would think they were getting better and all of a sudden my arms would get weak or i would hurt them again.. so i had to changed things up and do really light weights... the best advice i found online was to stop doing everything for a few weeks to a few months depending on how bad it was.. and then doing light easy exercises to restrengthen the muscles in the area.
  • Jeneba
    Options
    I just learned that there are touchpad mice out in cybertechland.... I am hoping I can replace the nasty rodent who is destroying my arm.... Will let you know.
  • Jeneba
    Options
    Try the epsom salts.... I cannot BELIEVE the progress I have made since I started using them! The pain is down to a minimum in just a few days! YAY!