Lost weight but now stuck again

Options
I started counting my calories, staying within my macros and eating healthy again. I noticed that I was losing weight really fast for a week and now that I have completed my second week I have been stuck!!! Help! It's not dropping anymore... I also go to the gym 6 days a week btw. I went from 130 to 124 lbs in a week and a half. Now I am at a constant 124. My goal is to reach 120 lbs if I'm not satisfied then 115. I am 5'1.

Replies

• grumpadon
    grumpadon Posts: 24
    Options
    try changing your workout routine. your body gets used to your workout and adjusts to it. also can increase weights. I was at a plateau for 3 months. I tried a lot of different things. turns out I wasn't eating enough. my body was in starvation mode. my metabolism slowed way down. it's hard to get used to eating more food, including fat, to lose weight. when you make a change, just pick one thing at a time. make small changes until you figure it out.
  • Nomomomily
    Nomomomily Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    oh the dreaded plateau! yeah, change workout routine/type of exercises (that's a lot of exercising btw). Your body needs a change in types of foods every few weeks or so i.e. add protein after workout to shock it into the new food. Presuming you are eating your required calorie intake per day, have a look at your nutrients as well. In my program I hit 3 plateaus. I got past the first by eating a little more than required to make my body understand I wasn't starving it. I got past the second by removing and replacing types of food I was eating such as brown rice instead of white rice and avoiding breads altogether and having skim or lactose free milk/no milk at all in my coffees - I found out in the last year I wasn't reacting very well to dairy :(.. dang.. I loved full cream milk. Finally, I got past the last by adding protein by way of powder to the end of each of my work outs. That worked like a charm. But it all took time. I've lost almost 10 kg in 3 months. Pretty wild and frustrating ride! still going!
  • jaina08
    jaina08 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    oh the dreaded plateau! yeah, change workout routine/type of exercises (that's a lot of exercising btw). Your body needs a change in types of foods every few weeks or so i.e. add protein after workout to shock it into the new food. Presuming you are eating your required calorie intake per day, have a look at your nutrients as well. In my program I hit 3 plateaus. I got past the first by eating a little more than required to make my body understand I wasn't starving it. I got past the second by removing and replacing types of food I was eating such as brown rice instead of white rice and avoiding breads altogether and having skim or lactose free milk/no milk at all in my coffees - I found out in the last year I wasn't reacting very well to dairy :(.. dang.. I loved full cream milk. Finally, I got past the last by adding protein by way of powder to the end of each of my work outs. That worked like a charm. But it all took time. I've lost almost 10 kg in 3 months. Pretty wild and frustrating ride! still going!

I think this is probably my 3rd plateau also! First time was when I lost the first 20 lbs and I knew it would be harder after that since I heard it's easier to lose the first 20 lbs anyways. Then I broke the plateau by doing the Insanity workout and completely changed my diet. And now I am on my 3rd one.... I should definitely change up my workouts again and probably make it more intense. I guess I should also change up the food I eat also.. Thanks!
  • JessHealthKick
    JessHealthKick Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    you don't hit a plateau in a week. Stick to your plan for a month, see what happens. Check out www.iifym.com and make sure you're eating the right amount (you are exercising a lot!!)

good luck and be patient please :)
  • jaina08
    jaina08 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    you don't hit a plateau in a week. Stick to your plan for a month, see what happens. Check out www.iifym.com and make sure you're eating the right amount (you are exercising a lot!!)

Oh okay thanks! Yeah I guess one week shouldnt be considered as a plateau lol, but my first one lasted for about a year! Which really sucked.... The second one was about 2 months long..
  • JessHealthKick
    JessHealthKick Posts: 800 Member
    Options

Oh okay thanks! Yeah I guess one week shouldnt be considered as a plateau lol, but my first one lasted for about a year! Which really sucked.... The second one was about 2 months long..

yeah I find my wightloss comes in unexpected bumps. I would eat very healthily (low amount of processed foods) for a month and not lose much, then be stressed and give in to some fried, oily food and suddenly lose a couple of pounds! just how my body goes about business I guess, it's ok to change things up a bit but trying to be consistent for a month then reassess is a good idea I think. You need to make sure you're eating enough and having lots of protein too - with that much exercise you may be fooled into severely undereating which, in the long run, isn't so good.
  • wkristie
    wkristie Posts: 1
    Options
    I hit a plateau as well, still trying to get through it :( it's lasted for about 3 months!!!!
  • paulperryman
    paulperryman Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    same here, been hitting plateau's on and off for the past 5kgs.
    it works your mind specially if you were on a regular loss schedule and it was working then suddenly your body sais I Don't Think So

i think best advice is to just take a breath and try to get back to doing what works, recalculate requirements and work from that

If you are exercising as do i 5-6 days a week thats alot of deficit + water requirements, might not be repleneshing enough
  • dreamingspider
    Options
    I keep bouncing between 5 pounds gained and lost. It's been annoying since I am so close to the weight I wanted. I cut back the unhealthy food, went to zero calorie, zero sugar energy drinks (addicted to energy drinks). But medication makes me loose any desires to eat. I walk a lot and lift 20-50 pounds daily and am getting no where now. Any ideas out there? Lots of typing too but I learned that burns calories.
  • Marina809
    Marina809 Posts: 38
    Options

Can a plateau really last for a whole year?