Best tortillas and wraps

Options
his_kid1
his_kid1 Posts: 177 Member
I did try to search so forgive me if this has been asked...

I just started logging again, and discovered that the tortillas I was using to make wraps are 270 calories each!!

I remember trying some wrap things before but they either crumbled when I tried to wrap them, tasted awful, or had a bizarre spongy texture. I'd love to have some tried and true items to look for, and where you buy them so I don't have to waste money and my taste buds (and resolve) trying out a bunch of gross ones to find the gems.

Thanks!!

Replies

• his_kid1
    Options
    Also ISO soft taco-sized but the bigger ones will be used more often.
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    Homemade! Wilt 2 handfuls of spinach in a bit of water (just until soft), blend them, and add it to a pinch of salt and 1 1/2 - 2 cups of flour. Enough to make a nice dough. Just knead it with your hands until smooth. Separate them into 6-8 balls depending on how big you want your wrap, put them back in the bowl, cover and let sit for 30 minutes. Then roll them out thin and cook them in a pan on medium high heat for about 3 minutes per side. I'll sometimes make a huge batch (I'm talking 20-25) and keep some in the freezer and some in the fridge. They last about a week and a half in the fridge and about 3-4 months in the freezer. And they don't take up much space. To store them, just keep them in a gallon storage bag. I reuse my bags so that I don't waste more plastic. It's simple, easy, and I love knowing EXACTLY what's in it. I put my recipe into MFP and it's 94 calories per serving. Yummy!
  • murdie
    murdie Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    bump, sounds good!
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    http://www.flatoutbread.com/products/flatout-wraps/

FlatOut wraps, also HungryGirl FlatOut! FoldIt flatbread are great, low cal (130 for the wraps, 90 for the flatbread), don't have a funky texture to me, relatively inexpensive, easy to find in your local grocery store. Highly recommended.
  • Lorijp
    Lorijp Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    flatout bread (light) 16 carb, 9 fiber=7 net carbs, 9 protein,
    Josephs heart healthy pita oat bran pita 10 carbs, 5 fiber=5 net carbs, 7 protein and josephs flax oat bran and whole wheat lavish bread 7 carbs, 3 fiber=4 net carbs, 5 protein.
    All of these are very good. Excellent to make your lunch. Roll your meat, cheese, spinach leaf or lettuce whatever you put in it. You can fix eggs, sausage, onions, ham, pepperoni, Canadian bacon, salsa and roll up and eat.
    I toast the pita bread by spraying Pam in a skillet and toast on each side until hard and you can make tostados or fold in half and make tacos, hot sandwiches.
    I did try to search so forgive me if this has been asked...

I just started logging again, and discovered that the tortillas I was using to make wraps are 270 calories each!!

I remember trying some wrap things before but they either crumbled when I tried to wrap them, tasted awful, or had a bizarre spongy texture. I'd love to have some tried and true items to look for, and where you buy them so I don't have to waste money and my taste buds (and resolve) trying out a bunch of gross ones to find the gems.

Thanks!!
  • jayrudq
    jayrudq Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    flatout bread (light) 16 carb, 9 fiber=7 net carbs, 9 protein,
    Josephs heart healthy pita oat bran pita 10 carbs, 5 fiber=5 net carbs, 7 protein and josephs flax oat bran and whole wheat lavish bread 7 carbs, 3 fiber=4 net carbs, 5 protein.
    All of these are very good. Excellent to make your lunch. Roll your meat, cheese, spinach leaf or lettuce whatever you put in it. You can fix eggs, sausage, onions, ham, pepperoni, Canadian bacon, salsa and roll up and eat.

ALL OF THESE!
  • HappyHungryHealthy
    HappyHungryHealthy Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I use weight watchers tortillas, their 107 calories.
  • sunshineanstars
    Options
    Bump
  • JVCB
    JVCB Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I'm fond of the newer Smart & Delicious™ Light Flour Tortillas by La Tortilla Factory. 80 calories, 16 Carb, 6gr Fiber, 4gr Protein. They are not the enormous wrap-size tortillas; probably more of an 8 inch size. Very soft and taste like a regular tortilla, nothing weird.

The only problem is they are hard to find and somewhat pricey.... but worth it, in my opinion.

http://latortillafactory.com/products-17.aspx
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    I second the Tumaro's brand. That's all I will use.

I like their low-carb multi-grain and their low-carb salsa flavor.
  • Morgaine_on_the_move
    Morgaine_on_the_move Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Trader Joe's has good ones, and the added bonus is that they don't contain many preservatives or chemicals ( if you're concerned about that kind of thing, I don't know). I like the habanero lime ones and their whole wheat is good, too.
  • nasoj007
    nasoj007 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    The Dempsters7' Whole Wheat are the best IMO, less calories than the WW ones too. Dempsters has a Bodywise version that's 10 calories less but they're a bit smaller and don't taste quite as good.
    http://www.dempsters.ca/en/Products/Dempsters/Pages/DempstersTortillas100WholeWheat7in.aspx
  • christyallgood
    christyallgood Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I second the Tumaro's brand. That's all I will use.

I like their low-carb multi-grain and their low-carb salsa flavor.
    Me too. I love the low carb multi grain! Highly recommended!
  • his_kid1
    Options
    Where do I buy the tomatoes?
  • amandaknight787
    amandaknight787 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I like the Mission Multi Grain wraps. Only 6 net carbs and 100 calories per wrap and they are HUGE. I can make one wrap and split it between my husband and myself (halfing the carbs and calories yay!!) and it's plenty of food. I microwave for 15 seconds. They stay soft and don't crumble. My kids eat them alone.
  • Docpremie
    Docpremie Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    La Tortilla Factory makes a low carb version with a decent calorie breakdown. Also lettuce leaves make great wraps! I actually prefer lettuce leaves for most of my wraps, because the flavor of your inner ingredients really come through. The tortilla wraps tend to blunt the taste of the other ingredients, but lettuce seems to keep all the other flavors intense & delicious.