New to gym, help!

Options
I posted a topic a few weeks ago about my hatred for the gym. Many of you suggested home workouts (while those work for some people, I just simply won't do them if I can't get my *kitten* out of the house and somewhere where I'm more motivated) The gym just discourages me in the sense that I have no clue what I'm doing. I've recently designed a plan to help:

Mondays: 1 hour of cardio; Arc machine, elliptical, stationary bike, etc.)

Wednesday: 1 hour of Hatha yoga

Fridays: 1 hour of strength training in the women's room. They have a circuit of various weight machines to work the entire body.

Does this seem like a valid start? That way I'm incorporating everything! I know nothing about exercise other than it's vital for your health!

Replies

• daughterofelectricfire
    Options
    I'm so jealous that your gym has a Womens Room! I am terrified of using weights etc at the Gym because there are so many Men around and I get so intimidated :(
    But yes - that sounds like a good start and what I do too! (Minus the weights... still building up the courage so I do more Cardio!)
  • kaseyAnne425
    kaseyAnne425 Posts: 230
    Options
    I'm so jealous that your gym has a Womens Room! I am terrified of using weights etc at the Gym because there are so many Men around and I get so intimidated :(
    But yes - that sounds like a good start and what I do too! (Minus the weights... still building up the courage so I do more Cardio!)

That's why I don't like going to the gym. I hate working out in front of fit people because I feel like I don't belong! The women's room has mostly fit women that go in there too but I can hide away in there and go at my own pace and not feel like I'm trying to keep up or show off.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    It's a valid start. What are your goals? While you may like the cardio, yoga and lifting, you might find better results if you hone in on what your goals are. I personally, would lift at least one more day. If you can get there 4 days, add another lifting day. If not, I would potentially break things up and cut your cardio to 30 minutes and lift for 30 minutes twice a week and then take your yoga class.
  • amckenny
    amckenny Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I asked a trainer a similar question a while back and they said 'if it'll get you working out and you'll stick with it, just about anything is a good start'.

Might be a good idea to invest in one private session with a personal trainer to make sure you're using the weight machines correctly if you're unsure... nothing derails/demotivates like an injury from doing it wrong (speaking from experience)
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options

Don't worry about the men. They're not judging you. They think you are awesome for lifting no matter how heavy you are lifting.
  • jesusHchris
    jesusHchris Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    I agree with the comment above about a trainer.

Also, it would be great if you could find a buddy to go with you. Maybe meet one at the gym or convince a friend to join up. I bet the group classes might be a good way to meet someone with similar fitness interests and maybe a little experience under their belt.

Edit: Careful about the trainer though. They usually offer one free session and their primary goal is to get you to sign up for more sessions. Ask them to show you exercise you can do on your own - they will often show you routines that require them to be there to help. That's fine if you want to sign up with them, but it's not very helpful if you don't.
  • lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    That is a great plan to start with. Try it for a month...see what changes you see/ feel, and adjust your plan as needed.
  • NomNomMom
    NomNomMom Posts: 80 Member
    Options

Don't worry about the men. They're not judging you. They think you are awesome for lifting no matter how heavy you are lifting.

^^ This! Yes don't even worry about others. Believe me ... most of them (especially the guys) are looking in the mirrors at themselves & THEIR muscles. LOL I just know in the 12 weeks or so that I've been going with my husband that all I've seen is encouragement & even made some new friends with the "regulars" - they truly want to see people suceed. DON'T feel intimidated and many people are GLAD to help if you ask them. It boosts their confidence too! :happy:
  • skankamaggot
    skankamaggot Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Ask for help. The people working there will show you the proper way to use the machines for free if you ask, no need to pay a personal trainer. They should be able to show you how to properly position them for your height, and how to properly perform the moves (also, most weight machines have a nifty diagram). At some point you just need to get out there and do it, and each time you do you will feel a little less intimidated. Nobody at the gym really cares about what other people are doing, most people just focus on themselves.
  • merzback
    merzback Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    That's a great start but I would try to do cardio maybe 5 times a week, strength training around 3, and yoga maybe twice. You don't have to do an hour of cardio- You could do 30 min cardio, 30 min yoga, or 30 strength training and 30 cardio.
  • amckenny
    amckenny Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Ask for help. The people working there will show you the proper way to use the machines for free if you ask, no need to pay a personal trainer. They should be able to show you how to properly position them for your height, and how to properly perform the moves (also, most weight machines have a nifty diagram). At some point you just need to get out there and do it, and each time you do you will feel a little less intimidated. Nobody at the gym really cares about what other people are doing, most people just focus on themselves.

Some do, some don't. The gym I was going to was small enough that there weren't really a lot of staff around that weren't working with clients. But definitely, if you can get the help for free... even better!
  • DreaMuffin
    DreaMuffin Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    like you i was incredibly intimidated as well. i thought there was no way in hell i'd get my wiggly *kitten* to a gym amongst all the others who (i thought) clearly knew what they were doing. for about a year i did a lot of working out from home(Tiffany Rothe vids Wii Fit) , go for long walks, etc.

after a lot of research i found a gym in my city that not only gives an orientation tour, but also a consult with a trainer included in my membership once every 3 months. score!!! i sucked it up and went. the fitness consult is what sealed the deal for me. they took their time with me, showed me how to use each and every machine in the routines they set up for me.

maybe there's something similar where you live? i started going 2 months ago. i go 4-5 times a week doing various routines that involve lifting and cardio. i kick myself that i didn't do this earlier because the changes i'm seeing are incredible!

good luck with your efforts!! your routine looks like a good start. i'm a huge fan of lifting and cardio combined. hopefully you'll be able to work more of it in :)
  • Enkibean
    Enkibean Posts: 56
    Options
    I would highly suggest not just a session, but a few months with a trainer. When I joined the gym, I had never tried working out with weights ever (at age 33). I signed up for a year with my trainer, and made my goals very clear with him. I wanted to learn how to use the equipment safely and effectively. He and I developed a program that I still follow (we finished up our year about 5 months ago), and things are great. Having someone show you the correct way to work out will do wonders to improve your confidence at the gym. Good luck!
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Check out your gym's group fitness schedule if you have one and try out any class that interests you! If you're looking for anonymity, I believe you will get that sneaking in to the back of a huge class. Of course, it helps if you tell the instructor you are new, but you could also mention this to a regular on the sly and they can give you any necessary tips. And if they too are new, hey, company! But I'm biased, I love classes at the gym! The whole group atmosphere just lifts my spirits and gets me working harder :-)
  • shinkalork
    shinkalork Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    It looks fine by me...Cardio, yoga (stretching and health) and strength and weights..... best combo ever.
  • renwicker
    renwicker Posts: 158 Member
    Options

^^^^ True.
  • roeann53
    roeann53 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Just a stray thought, we have a gym here that is part of a physical therapy center. It has a heated pool (for those with joint etc) problems, along with a regular pool and a weight room. Most of the members, but not all of them, are older, heavier and many have some mobility issues so no embarrassment. You might want to check and see if a similar place is near you.. the one by me doesn't advertise its existence, and I only found out about it because a friend was referred to it by her doc. I love the heated pool.
  • SurfyFriend
    SurfyFriend Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Hi, I know that its like going into the gym without directions.
    I find I like to incorporate a little of everything into each workout rather than do it in blocks, just for sustainability. Nothing against your plan, which is great, but you asked for ideas.

So coming from a girl who has done various sports and exercise classes over the past 10 years, here are the things all workouts have in common:
    They start with 10 minutes warming up. (eg jogging around a netball court, skipping rope, yoga poses)
    Then 10minutes stretching the muscles to be used (3x 12second holds for each muscle)
    Sometimes pushups and sit ups might be slotted in here before....
    Cardio! Sprint training, pushing your heart and lungs to their capacity but not feeling any dizziness either. Do 20minutes
    Then weight training. Choose a muscle group (eg arms, or legs, or back, or full body) and find the weight where you can do 8reps x3times. Do a few different exercises.
    Cool down and stretch.

If you do this, it allows you to alternate between muscle groups so that you may still be sore in one area but working another.
    Again, just a friendly suggestion :)
    Good luck