maybe give up long distance running?

Options
I have been running since Feb of last year. Since then, I have run several 5ks, 10ks, one 15k and one half marathon. I am very proud of it, however, I always have some sort of injury. I love the ability to run the distances I have, sometimes going as far as 8mi on my long runs. But my body isn't changing, and I have large inner thighs that only walking and workout videos have had the success of slimming them down. I'm thinking of maybe giving up the running only since my legs seem to get a little bigger and my body hasn't really changed. I can't say I have been eating the greatest either, but with regular workouts by video, etc, I've never felt the need to carb up or anything like that. What I ate the day before never seemed to affect my ability to exercise like it does with running, which is why I think I need to go back to normal workouts to lose weight. I'd still like to run 3-4 mi a couples times a week, but quitting long distance running would mean skipping my second half marathon scheduled in August. What do you think?

Replies

• SocialRopes
    SocialRopes Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    this sounds exactly like me. started getting serious with my running in january and set a goal to run a 1/2 (ended up doing two, the last one was 4 weeks ago). while i absolutely love to run for so many reasons, probably the same reasons you love it, i decided to give it up for the same reasons you listed. injuries, yes, but i could deal with those. life-style change (training and planning for long runs), i could handle that too. but i was seeing too many changes in my body and i like the way i looked before i started running. now that i can refocus my nutrition and concentrate more on my weight-training, i can already see positive changes --- and my clothes actually fit again. no, i didn't lose any weight when i was running, either. just the opposite. but now things are starting to fall back into place and i'm looking forward to getting back to how i want to look.
    several of my friends have a lean runners build, but those friends are hard-core runners. not me. i just wanted to set a goal and achieve it. boom, done. now i can move on. and i have to say, it was easier to give up than i thought. and i also know it will be harder to pick up if i decide to start running again in the fall. but i'm prepared for that, too.
    so all of this to say, i know exactly where you are coming from.
    best of luck to you!
  • scarrie2
    scarrie2 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Thanks! The one thing I forgot to mention, was that running determined whether or not I went to bed early so I had enough rest to run. Whether or not I would enjoy a movie on a Friday night with my husband because I had to run in the morning. I really liked doing a simple video and being done for the day. Never had to worry about weather, or what I ate the night before. The weeks I take off, I feel like I have my life back. Although running is addicting and makes you feel good, I'm not sure at times it's worth it. I love running across the finish line, but I'm not sure I enjoy it as much as being normal. :)
  • halleymw
    halleymw Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I read an article recently that stated that the health benefits of running seemed to be lost in those that ran more than 20 miles a week, so cutting back seems like it is a good idea if it is not something you love.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887323330604578145462264024472.html

Mike
  • zornig
    zornig Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Maybe you just need to take a break or dial it back a bit, as opposed to spending so much time in constant training mode. I personally go through very intense phases of cycling, but I find after a few months, I need a mental and physical break, so I'll switch to a mixed routine of lifting and working out on a cardio machine at the gym instead.

It sounds like you need to incorporate some strength training into your regimen. Maybe you could still do 2 or 3 runs per week (say 2 x 5K and a 6 miler) and then lift 2 x week. That level of running won't require special nutrition (like carb loading), but lets you keep a solid base in case you want to return to a more ambitious running program after a few months. The strength training will help with slimming your legs.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I read an article recently that stated that the health benefits of running seemed to be lost in those that ran more than 20 miles a week, so cutting back seems like it is a good idea if it is not something you love.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887323330604578145462264024472.html

Mike

Did you actually read the article? (or run?)
    Meanwhile, according to the Heart editorial, another large study found no mortality benefit for those who ran faster than 8 miles per hour, while those who ran slower reaped significant mortality benefits.
    ......how many average runners are doing 7.5 min miles? (That''s a 3:15 marathon.....)
    The note that in any large group of runners, high-mileage and high-speed athletes may be too few in number to be statistically significant.

To the OP. I love running and have been lucky to be relatively injury free but if you're not having fun doing it then don't, there are lots of other great activities out there that can keep you fit but i did seem to detect that part of your disappointment was that you weren't seeing your body change while confessing to not eating the best. The weight loss side of the equation happens in the kitchen no matter what exercise program you're doing.
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    You can't outrun a bad diet. And lifting without watching your diet won't slim you down either... It does give nice shape though IMO. (I run a d lift :happy:)
  • SpleenThief
    SpleenThief Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    ...my body isn't changing,...I can't say I have been eating the greatest either,

Here's the issue. You can't run your way out of a poor diet. Nutrition is the key to weight loss. Exercise is the key to fitness.
    but with regular workouts by video, etc, I've never felt the need to carb up or anything like that.

For distances short of the marathon, there's no need to carb up. You body has enough fuel (will typically need to hydrate though) to get you through a half marathon. When people bonk in a HM or shorter, they're either undertrained or tried to run too fast.
    I'd still like to run 3-4 mi a couples times a week, but quitting long distance running would mean skipping my second half marathon scheduled in August. What do you think?

That's strictly your call. Running isn't for everybody. Ultimately, do what you want. Whatever you decide to do in order to connect with your fitness is perfectly fine.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    I would advise having an actual season where you're focused on running and training for races...but have an off season too where you're doing something that is less harsh on the body....maybe focus on strength and resistance training and log some miles on the bike or something. I try to keep my race training/season to about 5-6 months and then I have to give myself a rest and let my body really heal.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    I don't run because I've ended up with injuries when I have. I miss it, however I think I get as good a cardio workout with my combination of biking, elliptical, and HIIT, and a better workout overall by combining that with strength training. I've started swimming too, to take even more stress off my body at least one day a week.
  • scarrie2
    Options
    I don't have a horrible diet, per say. I eat very healthy, I have a problem with binging at times, but most of the time I'm pretty good. When I say I don't necessarily eat good, I mean 100% clean all the time. My overages run in at 1700-2000 total calories a couple times a week. And 1400 usually for the norm. I always thought when running you need to eat your exercise calories to keep up with the energy. I have a hard time having the energy to run after a 1200 cal day. I was always thinking I could eat more when running, with regular workouts I don't feel that way. Thanks for all your advice, I appreciate it. I have always been on to incorporate strength training, etc. I just thought with running I would slim down really well, and I think I never saw the slimming down like I did when I took it easier on the workouts. I may stick to running 2-3 times, just not as hard core, so that when the half comes I still have a choice. I love the stamina you earn with running, maybe that's the biggest part of loving running. Not many people can do it, running long distances, which is probably the best part of doing it. Being proud of yourself for getting that far.
  • scarrie2
    Options
    I don't run because I've ended up with injuries when I have. I miss it, however I think I get as good a cardio workout with my combination of biking, elliptical, and HIIT, and a better workout overall by combining that with strength training. I've started swimming too, to take even more stress off my body at least one day a week.

The injuries are really when I wonder if it's worth it. I never injured myself with any other workouts. The only thing I ever felt was sore.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I personally think you're underestimating the calorie burn from running and over eating on those days.

I have never found the need to eat excessively on the days that I ran. Even when I was training for a half marathon quite a few years ago I didn't eat any more than I normally did. Even on the day of the half I had a bowl of oatmeal before we left for the race and had no problem with energy throughout the run.

I think the issue when people run is they feel that they need to eat a ton of calories for energy when you really don't.

If you're that set on changing up your workouts then maybe dial back your running to a few days a week.
  • blackcloud13
    blackcloud13 Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I'm getting the sense that you want to keep running - but injuries are putting you off. If that is the case, perhaps a and a running clinic can help. I'm working my way back from crocked knees - and it does seems as if with the right warm-ups stretches, and having your running form checked, you can avoid most injuries
  • scarrie2
    Options
    I'm getting the sense that you want to keep running - but injuries are putting you off.

Exactly. first it was my knees, then my hip, and now I have a shin pain that starts from my ankle and feels like I have a tight calf. That's the longest stayed injury I have. Since last November. and I don't have the patience for physical therapy and doctors. So I just take breaks. The funny thing is, when I ran my half, the worst was the sore quads. But my injury didn't show. My injuries stem from the way I sit being a secretary for the past 13 years. And the injuries are coming out in the running. I guess, yes, the injury is my biggest hurdle. I have no problem running long distances as far as endurance and stamina. The injuries have been the only thing ever holding me back.
  • cwsikes
    cwsikes Posts: 86
    Options
    A lot of running injuries are very avoidable if you are taking the right steps. I've had a few different running injuries over the past 3 years, and in every case I knew it was me doing something not so smart. Get fitted for shoes, build up a base slowly, run consistently, do races that are appropriate for your training, and do most of your training at a nice easy pace.