Exercise question

Options
Is it okay to exercise 6 days a week? I'm sorta new to getting fit. But Bob Harper off the biggest loser said 3 days on 1 day off. But Ive also heard of people working out 6 days straight a week.

What works best for you guys?

What works best for someone trying to lose a significant amount of weight?

Replies

• clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,638 Member
    Options
    6 days should be fine, at least 1 rest day is good. If you start to feel like your body is getting overworked take another. It's good to alternate between cardio and strength training.
  • LisaWilson2012
    LisaWilson2012 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    My friend did Turbo Fire which was working out every day with rest only on a Wednesday!
  • kkdelduca
    kkdelduca Posts: 73
    Options
    Thanks guys I'll give it a try, and see how ot goes! Thanks
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    Is it okay to exercise 6 days a week? I'm sorta new to getting fit. But Bob Harper off the biggest loser said 3 days on 1 day off. But Ive also heard of people working out 6 days straight a week.

What works best for you guys?

What works best for someone trying to lose a significant amount of weight?
    Well depends on what you're doing and you're actual fitness level. A beginner has no need to exercise 6 days a week since recovery is important. Most people who exercise that much do splits, but they are usually at an intermediate or advanced level.
    What's most important about on how to lose a significant amount of weight? Consistent calorie deficit and patience.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • kkdelduca
    Options
    Well depends on what you're doing and you're actual fitness level. A beginner has no need to exercise 6 days a week since recovery is important. Most people who exercise that much do splits, but they are usually at an intermediate or advanced level.
    What's most important about on how to lose a significant amount of weight? Consistent calorie deficit and patience.

IDEA Fitness member

[/quote]

Well I am a beginner. And I do realize it is a very long process. As far as exercise, what would you reccomend I do? I have been doing
    3 on 1 off. With Jillian Michaels 30 day shred. And low impact aerobics between 30min to 75 min a day.
  • kkdelduca
    Options
    Oops I quoted that the wrong way lol
  • dean51033936
    Options
    Another reason he would recommend that is if u r just starting you are bound to be sore...and if you are coming from a sedentary lifestyle a lot of people quit bc it hurts to be sore. Course for me personally I love being sore bc it lets me know I'm doing something right
  • kkdelduca
    Options
    I was a few weeks ago, but I'm not anymore. And I do make sure to stretch before and after.
  • Lady_Bane
    Lady_Bane Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Ill go for 3 months with no day off...and sometimes I do 3 on 2 off. I just listen to my body....not by soreness, but by how exhausted I feel. After so long I learned the right and wrong signals for training days.
  • mbrtron
    mbrtron Posts: 45
    Options
    I aim for 5-6 days a week. Right now I'm doing C25K and 30 minutes of Cycling T/Th/S. On M/W/F I do 30 minutes on the elliptical plus weights. On those days I may also take a class at my gym and cut the cardio/weights depending on how I feel and what class I'm doing. I keep it around an hour a day. I take the extra rest day if I'm feeling like I need it. If tomorrow wasn't already a rest day, I'd definitely need it off anyway. Lol.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    Well I am a beginner. And I do realize it is a very long process. As far as exercise, what would you reccomend I do? I have been doing
    3 on 1 off. With Jillian Michaels 30 day shred. And low impact aerobics between 30min to 75 min a day.
    That's not drastic, but you really don't need to exceed more than an hour of exercise. Exercise is more for strength and fitness and not weight loss although it helps to attribute because it helps to make calorie deficit a bit easier.

IDEA Fitness member
  • kkdelduca
    Options
    Thanks for the info!
  • tpcooper
    tpcooper Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    In my opinion it really just depends on where you are starting from, and what your experience is with exercising in the past. I would not go from NO exercise to 6 days per week.
  • ewalke5
    ewalke5 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I can only tell you what has worked for me. When I first began I worked out 3-4 times a week. When it became easier, I then added another day. I now exercise 5-6 times a week, and I switch between cardio and strength training.