lower back pain when I lay down or straighten up?

Options
hello. I exercise daily, but still have to spend hours hunched over in front of the computer for work. as a result, whenever I lay down completely or stand straight, my lower back experiences pain.
no matter how I try to combat it - stretching/exercise - it is still in pain.

does anyone have any advice for this sort of pain? I would really like to find some exercises that alleviate the pain and help the back straighten out. thank you!

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I found that just strengthening my core got rid of lower back pain (planks, supermans etc). I also found that walking helps with lower back pain (if it's muscular)

You mentioned "hunched over in front of a computer".........are you really hunched over? If your posture is bad while working (poor ergonomics perhaps?) that could be the problem right there. Are you able to get up and move around frequently during the day (eg 5 minutes every hour), that too can help.

It's also possible that the pain is not muscular? If it's been persisting for a while it might be time to have it checked out by your Dr.
  • Snowwy11
    Snowwy11 Posts: 28
    Options
    Make sure you are stretching as well, especially hamstrings. I work at a desk all day and was experiencing lower back pain. I was bad about not stretching or doing it quickly. Once I started stretching more and properly my back pain improved greatly. Good luck!
  • msmariimac
    msmariimac Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    You could try supporting your lower back with a pillow or rolled towel while sitting at work.
  • nkoconnell
    nkoconnell Posts: 34
    Options
    Just started yoga a few weeks ago... I have horrible neck pain from looking down at my desk all day and I think the stretching has helped my range of motion. I've also always had a small step stool under m desk to put my feet on, and often sit cross-legged in my chair.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    OP, can you be more specific about your exercise routine?
  • bayoncay
    bayoncay Posts: 11
    Options
    thanks for the replies guys! I do cardio routines with instructor Cassey Ho on youtube. They basically consist of a lot of jumping around and expending energy.
  • bumblebums
    Options
    thanks for the replies guys! I do cardio routines with instructor Cassey Ho on youtube. They basically consist of a lot of jumping around and expending energy.

There's jumping around and then there's jumping around. I confess I have not seen this Cassey Ho's videos, but let me point out that certain types of bodyweight calisthenics exercises can definitely aggravate your lower back problems. I speak from experience here as a lifelong lower back pain sufferer. Something as simple as Power Yoga Sun Salutations series A and B can leave me crippled on the wrong day--those are not too different from your standard Western burpees.

Listen to your body and avoid exercises that aggravate your lower back pain. Warm up properly, and figure out what makes your back feel better. For my lower back, things like planks and push-ups are a godsend, whereas crunches and similar must be avoided. For you, things might be different.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    I found that just strengthening my core got rid of lower back pain...
    This.

Strengthen your core.
  • walkerr1968
    Options
    I agree with the other pals. I too suffered from lower back pain and have a desk job. After a talk with my physician I started working on strengthening my core. When I do my cardio which consist of a stairclimber or running, I make sure to hold my stomach tight during the whole workout. Also I've added in yoga. Fortunately we received new ergonically correct chairs at work but before I had a pillow behind my lowe back and made sure I was sitting with good posture. Lastly I bought myself a new mattress. These things have helped me alot. My back pain is nearly nonexistant. If you make these few changes and your back pain persist, it could be something more and need to be worked up.
  • CoachDreesTraining
    CoachDreesTraining Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    The pain you are experiencing is more than likely due to tight hip flexors. Your psoas attaches to your lumbar spine which will tug on your spine when you extend your hips. Don't worry about stretching your hamstring or lower back, they are not an issue. Also, don't spend time doing sit-ups, planks, or any other 'core' exercise. These will only reinforce your poor hip alignment.
  • bumblebums
    Options
    The pain you are experiencing is more than likely due to tight hip flexors. Your psoas attaches to your lumbar spine which will tug on your spine when you extend your hips. Don't worry about stretching your hamstring or lower back, they are not an issue. Also, don't spend time doing sit-ups, planks, or any other 'core' exercise. These will only reinforce your poor hip alignment.

Glad you were able to diagnose OP's problem with the little information we were given.

The causes of lower back pain are not well understood even by people who study the problem for a living. I doubt a stranger on the internet is going to be able to help. But, there are certain exercise-based interventions that appear to be effective, and they do center around "core strengthening" and flexibility.

http://scholar.google.com/scholar?hl=en&q=yoga+lower+back+pain&btnG=&as_sdt=1,33&as_sdtp=
  • CoachDreesTraining
    CoachDreesTraining Posts: 223 Member
    Options

Glad you were able to diagnose OP's problem with the little information we were given.

The causes of lower back pain are not well understood even by people who study the problem for a living. I doubt a stranger on the internet is going to be able to help. But, there are certain exercise-based interventions that appear to be effective, and they do center around "core strengthening" and flexibility.

http://scholar.google.com/scholar?hl=en&q=yoga+lower+back+pain&btnG=&as_sdt=1,33&as_sdtp=

Actually I do study back pain for a living, and it is well understood that "core" strength is not a factor in most cases. OP also mentioned that they spend a large amount of time in hip flexion, and that the pain occurs during hip extension.

Time should be spent on mobilizing the hips, and stabilizing the LPHC. There is a big difference between stabilization exercises and strengthening exercises such as planks, sit-ups, etc.