To eat before or after exercise??

Options
So I dont normally eat dinner until 7pm as I put my son to bed at that time. If I want to exercise, I wait til 7 then eat dinner afterwards, but im starving! Is it ok to eat first, then wait and hour and exercise or should I just power through and do it first?

i was always told that if you exercise, anything you eat afterwards gets burned straight away. So its easier for your body to burn it

Replies

• JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    If you're hungry before you exercise why not just have something small pre-workout (like a banana or something like that) and then have your dinner after.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    i was always told that if you exercise, anything you eat afterwards gets burned straight away. So its easier for your body to burn it

Sorry, quite incorrect.

When you exercise your body draws on stored glycogen and fat for fuel, what you eat afterward tops up the tank again. This is one of the reasons people will often put on a couple of pounds when first starting to workout, your body stores more glycogen in anticipation of future demands and 1g of glycogen bonds with 3g of water.
  • esme1983
    esme1983 Posts: 60
    Options
    You should be eating a balance of good carbs, proteins and some fat around an hour and a half/ 2 hours before exercise, followed by a balance of the same around 45 minutes afterwards. If you want to eat at 7ish then go to the gym at around half eight and make yourself a shake of whey/ porridge/ casein or maybe hot milk and a slice of wholemeal bread with peanut butter or similar before bed.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    After. Always after.
  • mjrkearney
    mjrkearney Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    To eat before or after?

Yes.

I do a majority of my exercising in the morning and if I don't eat before, my stomach starts to howl and my energy drops to 0 within minutes. Same if I don't eat pretty soon afterwards. Protein on both ends with plenty of liquids.
  • SJackson50
    SJackson50 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    If you're hungry before you exercise why not just have something small pre-workout (like a banana or something like that) and then have your dinner after.

^This...since you don't workout until after 7pm, have something around 5-5:30 to tide you over. I don't eat before, only because I get up at 5:45am :-)
    good luck with your goals!
  • welshboy22
    welshboy22 Posts: 20
    Options
    When training during my rugby days we always refuelled after training, main meal. Pre workout we would have a small snack- banana , fruit. Hope this helps. :smile:
  • grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    Small, healthy snack, workout then main meal! :)
  • grumpadon
    grumpadon Posts: 24
    Options
    something small before for energy. protein after. lots of water everyday. your diet should be a balance of proteins, carbs and fat.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    If you feel hungry eat a pre-workout snack. If you're comfortable working out fasted then do so but try eat fairly soon after your workout.
  • JusticeGirl25
    JusticeGirl25 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Just wait a little bit to eat after you exercise.