Healthy Tailgate Recipes?

Options
ntp0826
ntp0826 Posts: 95 Member
Does anyone have any favorite tailgating recipes they are willing to share? I would greatly appreciate it as I will be hosting quite a few parties this football season and need to stay on track!

Replies

• surlydave
    surlydave Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I think there are several ways to prepare wings in a "healthy" way but I haven't tried them. Looking forward to seeing the responses to this.
  • nicolepope11
    Options
    I got these from the Biggest Loser website because they featured them on the show. I haven't tried them yet, but like you, I am sure to be hosting plenty of football parties and going to some games so I want to stay on track as well!

Fruit Salad
    3 cups strawberries
    1 cup mango
    1 cup kiwi
    1 cup blackberries

Serving Size: 1/2 cup
    Calories: Approximately 50

Black Bean Salad
    1 cup cooked broccoli
    1 1/2 cup low sodium black beans
    8 oz. carrot slaw
    1 cup chopped cucumber
    1/4 cup galeos toasted sesame dressing
    1/2 cup roasted/no salt sunflower nuts

Serving Size: 1 cup
    Calories: Approximately 115
  • brandygwen
    Options
    If you want some great low calorie hot dog options, check out the Hebrew National 98% fat free all beef hot dogs. They are 40 calories a dog! Instead of regular buns, try a whole wheat bun option, or even Sara Lee's 45 and Delicious whole wheat bread slices. Two dogs with bread would run you 180 calories. Thats a great meal!
  • decemberg
    Options
    If you want some great low calorie hot dog options, check out the Hebrew National 98% fat free all beef hot dogs. They are 40 calories a dog! Instead of regular buns, try a whole wheat bun option, or even Sara Lee's 45 and Delicious whole wheat bread slices. Two dogs with bread would run you 180 calories. Thats a great meal!

What they lack in calories they more than make up for in sodium! Better bet is to get the all natural hot dogs from Whole Foods.
  • nicolepope11
    Options
    You can get chicken tenders and toss them in your favorite flavor of wing sauce (Frank's Red Hot has no calories!!!) and either grill or bake them. Use some of your favorite seasonings to make them even more yummy.
  • brandygwen
    Options
    You can also make Turkey burgers with ground turkey instead of beef and use whole wheat bread, if you need cheese, there are plenty of light cheese options, with fat free mayo, a pickle spear and such.
  • brandygwen
    Options
    I haven't been watching my sodium, so you're probably right!
  • ntp0826
    ntp0826 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I saw a website for the crockpot chicken wings and will definitely be trying that!
  • LaSirena29
    Options
    My go-to recipe for all party's and gathering is Hurricane Salsa Salad (so named because the basic ingredients are staples in the pantry & you don't need any electricity to make it when you've been without power for a week or two).

Basic Recipe
    2 cans black beans, drained & rinsed
    2 cans of corn, drained & rinsed
    1 can chick peas, drained & rinsed
    1 small jar of the salsa of your choice

That's the basic recipe, but for party's I always dress it up a bit. You can add, to your taste, any of the following:
    halved cherry tomatoes
    finely diced red onions
    finely diced jalapeño peppers
    a handful of chopped cilantro

Just mix them together. I recommend making it the evening before or morning of your event, so it has some time to sit together. You can eat it like a bean salad, with a fork, for those watching your calories, or you can serve it with tortilla chips to scoop it up.

Its the easiest thing to make, but it's always a big hit. People actually get upset when I show up without it.
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    When I tailgated back in May our menu looked like.
    Chicken Kabobs - Chicken, Green peppers, Tomatos, Mushrooms
    Home made salsa - my friend made it so I don't know everything that was in it
    Baked Tortialla chips
    Fruit salad - what ever you can get fresh
    other ideas
    Turkey burgers
    Hummus
    Veggie tray
  • sjyates
    sjyates Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I agree with all the posts about turkey burgers. We have been eating them lately using the Insanity recipe. . .mix ground turkey with salsa and red onion, serve on an english muffin. I absolutely love these things! With green beans and no cheese you are looking at about 300 calories and I think they are really filling. :D
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    The sandwhich thins are great as buns too. 100 calories for the whole thing.
  • MamaBudda
    Options
    I like to use La Tortilla Factory low-carb tortillas http://www.latortillafactory.com/recipes/recipetoc.aspx. check it out.