peanut butter vs almond butter

Options
I was wondering if it really matter which one you eat if they r both natural... the brand "naturally more" has both but the pb one is less expensive. Is one truly that much better for you or does it really matter?:smile:

Replies

• socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    I was wondering if it really matter which one you eat if they r both natural... the brand "naturally more" has both but the pb one is less expensive. Is one truly that much better for you or does it really matter?:smile:

At 20 calories less than peanut butter, its almond for me.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,633 Member
    Options
    I look for the nutritional advantage in most cases. If they're comparable then it comes down to taste and price after that.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • KickingButt
    KickingButt Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    so as long as they r not filled with fillers and sugars either one is good then? I love the taste of both, and the brand I go for actually has the same calorie count for both of them... so that's what brought up my question, save some money and go with pb, or splurge some if almond is better for you... :)
  • KickingButt
    KickingButt Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    ok! cool! thank you!
  • SurfyFriend
    SurfyFriend Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    When it comes to weight loss, its calories that matter.
    100 calories of pb = 100 calories of ab

But you could argue that peanuts are technically a legume and according to some scientists, legumes are not for human consumptions whereas nuts are, in small quantities.

Depends on what aspect of this you are looking at.
  • RCottonRPh
    RCottonRPh Posts: 148
    Options
    I eat both. They are both delicious...and obviously portion control is important since they are calorie dense!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    If they're just natural nut butters with nothing added then it doesn't matter...they're both a good source of heart healthy fat. Really, it's a matter of taste at that point.
  • QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Actually peanuts belong to the legume (bean) family, they aren't a nut at all. Almonds are a tree nut and better for you.
  • conniedj
    conniedj Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I like PB. Love Peanut butter. I want to like almond butter--but I just don't!!

I say eat for what you have a flavor preference!
  • fbiwoman223
    Options
    I am a peanut butter lover, but at 190 calories for a 2 tbsp serving, it was one of those things I realized I would have to sacrifice, as my caloric intake for the day is only at 1200. That's a big chunk just for peanut butter! While I was out shopping, I did find a peanut butter spread that is zero calorie--it's by Walden Farms. It tastes a lot like natural peanut butter, meaning there is not the sweet taste that comes with most peanut butters. Something to try if you're trying to cut calories from your diet.... :)
  • jayrudq
    jayrudq Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I also love PB. But, for now, while I am on calorie restriction, I am using PB2. It is dried, yep, dried peanut butter than you reconstitute. Great for sauces and getting the PB flavor at only 45 calories. Otherwise, on maintenance, it is PB all the way.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    There's not a huge difference. I like variety so I switch each time a jar runs out - peanut butter, then almond butter, then cashew nut, then pumpkin seed...they all have similar high but good fats, bit of protein.
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    The macronutrient ratios (carbs, fats, protein) are similar
    The micro nutrient ratios (vitamins and minerals) are somewhat similar
    The price is not similar, as almond butter is much more expensive.
    Their taste is of course different, which is subjective.

Buy whichever one tastes nice and/or you can afford :)
  • Seefylol
    Seefylol Posts: 197
    Options
    Have you tried cashew nut butter? Yum! Beats them all for taste, hands down!
  • apothecarist
    apothecarist Posts: 193
    Options
    I love both and alternate between the two. Just had a tablespoonful of Justin's Vanilla Almond Butter today for my snack...good stuff!
    43932452 Posts: 7,246 Member
    Options
    In my reckless food days Jif PB every time but
    since I met fresh ground almond butter, there's
    no other! :p