Are Heart Rate Monitors Essential?

Options
I am stepping up my fitness over the next few months or so and I have been agonising over getting a HRM (I have narrowed it down to 2). The reason being is that it costs alot of money, plus when I exercise MFP is telling me what I have burned anyway. So what would the overall benefits be to getting one? I know that alot of people out in MFP-land have them and would love your thoughts!!!

Replies

• nehtaeh
    nehtaeh Posts: 2,977 Member
    Options
    MFP gives you an estimate of what you are burning but the HRM is more accurate. It really depends on how exact you want/like to be. If you are estimating food most of the time, which is hard not to, then best guesses are good enough.

In my mind the BMR is also an estimate. Each person's body makeup is very different. There is no way that you can use a few variables and come up with the number of cals you burn a day just by normal activity. You can have a 'best guess' but it is still just a guess.

The body bugg and things like that would be way more accurate than a HRM, just depends on how exact you want to be and how much money you want to spend.
  • aunienue
    Options
    Depending on the HR monitor you get a lot more information other than your heart rate. Mine has GPS so I know the distance I run. It tells me my running pace. You also enter your height and weight so calories burned is very accurate. An essential tool in my book. I find the MFP calories burned numbers are high for me.
  • cktb4him
    Options
    I agree with auneinue. Before I got my HRM I thought I was burning way more calories than I really was. Once I got HRM which calculates your calories burned based on your HR, weight, and height I realized I was burning alot less than I thought. Now I realize I have to really watch what I'm eating and really work hard on my exercise whether it's a circuit or going for a run or walk with my kids. Plus I really like knowing my distances when I walk or run and it keeps me motivated to challenge myself.
  • kspeach
    kspeach Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    MFP and other sites were overestimating on some things, and underestimating on others.

I like it because it tells me where I'm at during my workout, and what my average HR was, plus exactly how long I've exercised.

I like to tell myself that if I keep my HR over 135 or 140 the zombies can't get me! :) (can you tell I bored on my walk sometimes??)
  • mommaski4
    mommaski4 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    So then what are some good (and reasonably priced) HRM's. Obviously they are not all created equal.
  • jdsouthernbelle
    Options
    So then what are some good (and reasonably priced) HRM's. Obviously they are not all created equal.

http://www.heartratemonitorsusa.com/mio-classic.html

This is the one I have and I love it....no chest strap.
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    HRMs with chest straps are the most accurate. Getting one without a strap is a waste of money because you can just use MFP or another site for an estimate. Polar's have the best name out there. I swear by my Polar FT60. I even bought a foot pod and it logs my distance and pace on my runs. Essential training and fitness tool for me!