When to start diet/exercise again after baby?

Options
I was just wondering when you started diet & exercise after childbirth. I had my baby 4 weeks ago naturally (no C-section, no drugs). I do have some stitches and am breastfeeding. I usually breast feed exclusively for 6 months and wean by 1 year. I'm not wanted to lose my milk supply. Any tips or input is appreciated! Thanks!

Replies

• lemur_lady
    lemur_lady Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    If you are breastfeeding I would definitely give it a while before you try and diet. I have just started now at 12 months PP, although am still wanting to breastfeed for another year. You may find you will lose weight with the feeding anyway. As for exercise I would wait until about 8 weeks, at least that's what we are told here (south east UK).
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    as soon as your doc has checked you out and told you it's ok.

be careful of your abs.
  • snoopycool
    snoopycool Posts: 37
    Options
    I have a 2-month old (c-section, exclusively bf-ing). I started MFP once my midwife cleared me at six weeks. I haven't started back to exercising, but plan to hit the gym tomorrow for the first time since first trimester.
  • notworthstalking
    notworthstalking Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    as soon as your doc has checked you out and told you it's ok.

be careful of your abs.

This. Just take things slowly, don't think about losing weight some much and being healthy. I personally always had an issue eating enough in the early weeks, so did end up feeling like crap. And of course there's lack of sleep etc. But if you feel good gentle exercise is great. Starting with walking. My second if she wouldn't settle like the baby carrier, and would at least rest in it. My eldest loved the pram. Just take it slow and give your body time to recover. By going slowly you will make better progress and faster progress in the long term.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Like they said. But walking is a wonderful thing to do - at your own pace - WITH your baby. And that can start whenever you're ready.
  • Athena53
    Athena53 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Diet- definitely ask your doc or more experienced mothers; I didn't have much to lose after I had DS, and with breastfeeding nutrition is important.

Exercise- my totally amateur opinion which worked for me, is to do what you feel like, as soon as you feel like it. Early on (like less than a week) I loaded DS into a front pack and went out for a walk. The walks got longer and I was out on cross-country skis with him at 3 months, I think. (He was appropriately bundled up and must have been pretty comfy because he fell asleep.)
  • Jessica_D_Shadow
    Jessica_D_Shadow Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I was breast feeding, have a heart condition, & a terrible tear during birth [natural delivery]. I was told to wait 6-8 weeks to start exercising. As for dieting, I would ask your doctor to give you a set calorie goal. I was on WW while Breastfeeding, & WW calculated the point value for me. But, you should ask your doctor for yours. It would be the fastest route so not to stump your milk supply. <3 Hope this helps.

Jessica