Pregnant workouts

Options
Hello all! I am pregnant with my second child. My son is 7 so it has been awhile since I have done this. I am trying to take better care of myself this time. I gained 87 pounds last time. Not going to happen this time. Yes, I do plan on gaining around 20. I am currently considered overweight. I will be 11 weeks along as of tomorrow.

Just wanted to give you a little background. :)

I purchased a prenatal workout DVD from target it is from moms into fitness. It is actually pretty challenging. Not too bad though. It says to do it for 3 times a week switching it with yoga. I bought a prenatal yoga from amazon by desi Bartlett I just tried it today and wasn't too impressed. It is a little too much meditation and doesn't really get into too many good stretches. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated for a good yoga program.

Thanks!!

Replies

• MrsSenecal
    MrsSenecal Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I take a Yoga class a couple times a week and a woman who is preggers does most of the stuff, but tailors it to her needs and doesnt do a lot of the really tough stuff. She said the Yoga has helped her a ton.

Edited to add- Congrats!!!!
  • staplebug
    staplebug Posts: 189
    Options
    I'm just doing what I did before I was pregnant... Jillian Michaels DVDs, but if I progress levels, I use less weight and take it at my own pace. I'm 15 weeks. I would like to do more pregnancy-oriented things, like maybe yoga or something that will help me prepare for labor. I'm sure when I get farther a long, Jillian's not going to be so doable.
  • fairestthings
    fairestthings Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I'm expecting my second child too :-)

I've focused on macros as best as I can, rather than caloric intake. This is relevent to me because I worked out pretty hard core prior to getting pregnant but I am of the mindset that hardcore workouts during pregnancy are not healthy for the body.

By maintaining proper nutrition as best as I can, I have been able to steadily increase my weight in a much healthier way (whereas last time, I would eat two large pizzas a few times a week...)

I do make sure to do things like walking, I also do a prenatal Pilates workout DVD by 10-Minute Solutions. I do suggest that. It's not ultra challenging, but the purposes for a lot of the moves are helpful and become more challenging with a burgeoning belly lol. I also just received in the mail Erin O'Brien's prenatal fitness fix DVD. I can't suggest it as I haven't even taken it out of the plastic yet, but do hope to try it tomorrow! I hear many good things about it from those who were into fitness prior to their pregnancies as well.

Congratulations and I wish you well! First trimester I got sick enough that I just ate what I could stomach LOL.
  • typicalgenius
    Options
    I find working out as you did before pregnancy with minor modifications as range of motion changes is what has worked for me. Right now I'm 29weeks pregnant with my 8th baby and I take an advanced yoga class 3 times a week (I avoid all things with pressure on my belly as well as plow but I still even do headstands). I swim about a mile every other day and I do weights. Keep in mind I have very healthy uncomplicated pregnancies and those workouts are very similar to what I do when I'm not pregnant.
  • lina011
    lina011 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    i did walking and chalene extreme but modified it so no crunches, jumping or basically anything during the dvd that made me uncomfortable. I did workout prior to pregnancy
  • Rhiannonangharad
    Options
    My friend used this website http://www.fittamamma.com/section.php/3/1/exercise_during_pregnancy to help with her exercises during pregnancy, it has all yoga sections and quick exercises to do and also offers advice on food and sells their own clothing, pretty good site!
  • nancypaille
    Options
    I'm 30 weeks pregnant and I downloaded to my iPhone a ton of the fit sugar workouts, they are usually 10 minutes each, and quite a few of the videos the instructors are pregnant... http://www.fitsugar.com/fitness-video?page=1... I mix up which ones I do on what days, but even on my lazy days I like to do at least 1-2 of them as they are short and as long as I do some sort of exercise every day my joints don't get sore.

Also - I downloaded this prenatal yoga series off of youtube, http://www.youtube.com/user/HardcoreYoga/videos, I find her videos are great, I am still having no problems doing them at 30 weeks pregnant and I should be able to continue them all the way. I do them 3-5 days a week along with the fit sugar videos... I am also doing the stationary bike when I feel the need for easy cardio.
  • tiggerhammon
    tiggerhammon Posts: 2,211 Member
    Options
    Wow, crazy. I am in the same exact place right now.
    I am pregnant with #2, just found out. My first is 7 years old and I gained 50lbs with her. I never lost it. When I startedreally trying to lose weight a couple months ago, I was the same weight that day as I was 9 months pregnant. Today, I am down 17lbs from that but am pregnant again. I can't stand the idea of gaining another 50, I was just going down.
    I have decided that I am not going to try to lose at all, just eat healthy and hope I don't gain too much.
    I am due in June.
    You can add me if you'd like.