Alzheimer's Caregivers?

Options
Is anyone out there dealing with an Alzheimer's patient? My mother in law, who is about 89, is with us for a month to give her younger son a respite. She can'r emember anything more recent than about 40 yearsago, operates on a two-year-old level, and has mastered the art of innocent expression and verbal agreement, while passively refusing to eat or drink much of anything or to tend to any sort of bodily hygiene. I had to bully her a bit---hated to do it, but otherwise she will stall all day and all night--to get her naked and in the shower, where I managed to wash her hair, but I'm damned if I'm going to wash her privates, even though she leaks like a colander and has refused to wear her adult diapers or any underwear at all, so the guest room reeks of urine. I've been in filthy truck-stop bathrooms that smelled better than this poor old woman. She is paying me back for the shower with a sweet smile and a refusal to eat anything at all. It's nearly 5 p.m., and the only thing I've managed to get down her is half a cup of black coffee. I know this has nothing to do with any of you, but I am at my wits' end with her. Everyone else is lucky enough to be out haying in 85-degree heat while I'm trying to eldersit this recalcitrant old woman. I do not want her to die on my watch, but she's been hospitalized recently for severe dehydration. I can't force-feed her, and I can't wear her out ( she has nothing else to do but refuse, while I have a farm to tend). Any solutions or tips will be gratefully accepted.

Replies

• ostrichagain
    ostrichagain Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I wish I had more to offer you than empathy. Keep food within reach and maybe if you keep her entertained, she'll forget to be stubborn and eat. I don't know. Good luck! You can always take her to the hospital if you are concerned she is dehydrated or undernourished. I've had to do that before.

My grandmother had dementia in her last years and I remember it took half the day to get her out of bed and dressed. She was so confused, I would get confused. What day is it? Where am I? Who are you? I don't even know anymore!
    My son has severe autism and functions at the level of an 18 mo. old, which is not the same, but I know it' hard. Every day is a new adventure.
  • elenathegreat
    elenathegreat Posts: 3,988 Member
    Options
    When my sister and I were left on weekends to tend my 70+ year old Gramma(who also had Alzheimer's and dementia which worsened toward sundown), we could always get her to eat canned peaches with ice cream...she could NOT resist, no matter how crabby she was.

PS Sis was in seventh grade, and I was in eighth grade at the time...we ate a lot of ice cream and peaches that summer...
  • MrsSenecal
    MrsSenecal Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    When my sister and I were left on weekends to tend my 70+ year old Gramma(who also had Alzheimer's and dementia which worsened toward sundown), we could always get her to eat canned peaches with ice cream...she could NOT resist, no matter how crabby she was.

PS Sis was in seventh grade, and I was in eighth grade at the time...we ate a lot of ice cream and peaches that summer...

Awwwww!!
  • CeCeHarris
    CeCeHarris Posts: 15
    Options
    Hello honey

I feel for you. I'm a cook at an Alzheimer's facility and I know one thing for certain is that you guys should hire a home care aide. That is a serious issue to deal with and it takes lots of patience. Until then you can try to meet her where she is. There is something we call "Join the Journey" which means listen to what she is saying and go there with her. Make everything a fun adventure as if she was a "two-year old". Make it fun and exciting and I guarantee you will get her to do the things you need her to do.

Ce Ce
    Good luck
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    Hello honey

I feel for you. I'm a cook at an Alzheimer's facility and I know one thing for certain is that you guys should hire a home care aide. That is a serious issue to deal with and it takes lots of patience. Until then you can try to meet her where she is. There is something we call "Join the Journey" which means listen to what she is saying and go there with her. Make everything a fun adventure as if she was a "two-year old". Make it fun and exciting and I guarantee you will get her to do the things you need her to do.

Ce Ce
    Good luck

I've tried that...I've taken 45 minutes to get her to eat a quarter of a hard-cooked duck egg by telling her it was an adventure. Ten minutes between each tiny nibble. Ask her what she wants, she invarably says she isn't hungry, or that she already has a mouthtful ( complete lie, blowing out her cheeks and pointing to her face). There is no way we have the money for home care without taking out a bank loan, when all the money coming in is going for fuel, baling twine, rotary rake repairs, so forth. Maybe hubby can talk her into something. She's exhausting and frustrating, and I'm pretty sure she knows it.
  • lingading
    lingading Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I am a nurse in a nursing home and deal with Alzheimer's patients from time to time.

Offer things like Ensure or Boost (call them milkshakes) or ice cream - anything you think she'll accept, really. If she goes more than 24 hours without drinking anything at all, get her to a hospital. The elderly can dehydrate easily.

When she says things that don't make sense to you (like talking about waiting for a parent that has been dead for years), go with it. Ask questions. Show interest, even if it seems ridiculous. It may not make sense to you, but it can really turn up the defiance factor coming from her if you adamantly oppose that which she finds to be reality. The more she trusts you, the easier things will be.
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    My family takes care of my 90 year old grandmother with worsening dementia. We were taking turns caring for her with my aunt in two month stretches, but her husband recently died after a long fight with cancer so we've had her for nearly a year. She remembers everything up to the last ten years more or less perfectly, which was when she had a series of small strokes. Now she can't form new memories and always thinks I'm home from college on summer break, regardless of the time of year (I graduated 3 years ago), or even still in high school. She also refuses to eat almost entirely, except for chocolate, which we have to hide from her or else she makes herself sick. I think the worst part is how she's always cold, even in 90 degree weather. She's really in danger of overheating so we try to get her to take off her sweater when she sits outside, but she always seems to have one.
  • AmyMgetsfit
    AmyMgetsfit Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    It has not been recent as my mom has been gone for 20 years now. In her early 70's she was diagnosed with alzheimers. My sister and I lived in another state, but came home to help dad with her for a couple of weeks. We had a home health care nurse come in to give her a bath 3 times a week. But everything else we had to do. She was also prone to violent outbursts. It was hard. She broke her hip twice because she got up without using her walker. During her last hospital stay she developed sepsis and passed away. I think my dad was kind of relieved when she passed, he had been taking care of her for a year and he was worn out. He couldn't leave the house to go to the bank or store without someone coming in to watch her. My aunt(my dad's sister) was watching her when she fell and broke her hip the last time. She had to use the bathroom and mom got up without her walker and fell. She never left the hospital after that one. My aunt always felt it was her fault and she should have never taken her eyes off of her. She always remembered my 2 oldest kids, but could never remember out 3rd one who was around 11 years old. She could never remember if she ate. She would eat breakfast and then 10 minutes after she ate she would say she really should eat breakfast but just doesn't feel hungry. I'd say mom you just ate breakfast 10 minutes ago. She would say, oh I did?
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Is anyone out there dealing with an Alzheimer's patient? My mother in law, who is about 89, is with us for a month to give her younger son a respite. She can'r emember anything more recent than about 40 yearsago, operates on a two-year-old level, and has mastered the art of innocent expression and verbal agreement, while passively refusing to eat or drink much of anything or to tend to any sort of bodily hygiene. I had to bully her a bit---hated to do it, but otherwise she will stall all day and all night--to get her naked and in the shower, where I managed to wash her hair, but I'm damned if I'm going to wash her privates, even though she leaks like a colander and has refused to wear her adult diapers or any underwear at all, so the guest room reeks of urine. I've been in filthy truck-stop bathrooms that smelled better than this poor old woman. She is paying me back for the shower with a sweet smile and a refusal to eat anything at all. It's nearly 5 p.m., and the only thing I've managed to get down her is half a cup of black coffee. I know this has nothing to do with any of you, but I am at my wits' end with her. Everyone else is lucky enough to be out haying in 85-degree heat while I'm trying to eldersit this recalcitrant old woman. I do not want her to die on my watch, but she's been hospitalized recently for severe dehydration. I can't force-feed her, and I can't wear her out ( she has nothing else to do but refuse, while I have a farm to tend). Any solutions or tips will be gratefully accepted.

If you can't do it then get someone else. She doesn't remember how to, even if you just showed her how, she doesn't know she's being stubborn. I understand frustration but she can't help it and that's the ONE thing you need to keep in mind. You can not tend to her and a farm. Sorry she needs 24 hour care and if you can't or won't do it then find someone who can or will. I took care of my Grandfather for 2 months before he passed away. And for 2 years before he got really sick. Awesome of you to give someone else a break but if your going to be mean to her you need to give her back. And if she smells then the other person isn't doing their job either. We washed Grandpa every other day, we changed his diapers. Yes it sucks seeing his private parts, but I'm sure if he knew we were looking at them he'd be just as horrified over it. Suck it up and just do it.
  • clairekraw
    clairekraw Posts: 21
    Options
    There are a lot of long term care facilities out there...and many have special Alzeihmer's care units. I would check out CareConversations.org for some info - there's lots of great resources on that page for adult caregivers. They also have a facility locator, so you can type in the zip code of where you are looking for care and find facilities in your area. That might be a good place to start.
  • krazyforyou
    krazyforyou Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    Alzheimers's is a progressive disease, which only gets worse. When my mother died I promised her to take care of her only remaining sister, my Aunt. Well it did not take long for me to realize that I could no longer take care of her the way she needed. So regretfully I placed her in a longterm dementia care facility. Best thing I ever did for her. She recieves the care she needs and Gid love them they truely care for her. Sometimes the hard decisions are the best thing fot the patient.
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    We were told NOT to force them to eat. It's their body trying to shut down. We were also warned not to argue with him because they truly believe what they are saying. I get being frustrated, but wash her and get over the fact that you are washing her privates, put yourself in her position, I'm sure she'd be greatful to be clean even if she doesn't thank you for it.
  • homebrewer84128
    Options
    alzheiemers.org has a 24/7 support line...please phone them for your sanity
  • JenCatwalk
    JenCatwalk Posts: 285 Member
    Options

Listen, I'm currently a caregiver to an 89 year ols woman with old timers and whatnot. Let me tell you this woman is the biggest bitxh if she wants to be. She demands, she's a perfectionist, she has to be given a slice of pie with her food from time to time or she wont eat. Sometimes there are things she can do herself but she insists on showing out and making demands, talking to me in a condescending way, etc. However... ive learned to understand that she is 89 years old, her mind is gone, she's gonna do what she does no matter what, and there's no point in tryin to get her change her ways.. because she won't remember anyway. An 89 year old with half their mind left really does need help with a lot of things.. hygiene, making sure they eat, are clothed, basic needs met, bathed, privates washed.. etc. So despite the fact that this woman says or acts in ways that if a normal person actes or said, I'd punch the *kitten* outta them.. I don't take it personally because I remember her mind is gone. At most I walk outta the room for about 5 minutes if she really rubs me wrong, but then I go back and make sure her basic needs are met because 1 its my job and 2, its called respect for the elder. Youre gonna be old one day and may need help washing your privates. My suggestion is just suck it up and don't take it personally simply due to the fact that her mind is gone. Like it or not this woman now depends on you to live... she will die overwise. As far as dipers have you tried putting them on her yourself? Even if you have to use a little force? You might have to start doing that.. Any family members willing to help for a few hours?
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options

If you can't do it then get someone else. She doesn't remember how to, even if you just showed her how, she doesn't know she's being stubborn. I understand frustration but she can't help it and that's the ONE thing you need to keep in mind. You can not tend to her and a farm. Sorry she needs 24 hour care and if you can't or won't do it then find someone who can or will. I took care of my Grandfather for 2 months before he passed away. And for 2 years before he got really sick. Awesome of you to give someone else a break but if your going to be mean to her you need to give her back. And if she smells then the other person isn't doing their job either. We washed Grandpa every other day, we changed his diapers. Yes it sucks seeing his private parts, but I'm sure if he knew we were looking at them he'd be just as horrified over it. Suck it up and just do it.

This.

I'm a nurse who works with A/D patients daily and I will say your frustration while understandable is only making things worse. Is there someone else there to intervene and take over bc they will feel your anger and that intensifies their anxiety. She doesn't know and she's not doing anything on purpose to annoy you so please realize her mind is in a different state. I'm a little taken back that you take someone in to care for but won't cleanse them when they can't and allow them to sit in filth. That's neglect. If your family is unable to handle her care while her son needs the respite then you need to have the discussion your place is not a reliable one or it's time for placement for her. Good luck and I hope you find a solution soon but please step aside for awhile to release the burnout.
  • ChiKann
    ChiKann Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am a nurse at a long term care facility. You should be able to get some financial assistance from Medicare or even Medicaid (in the form of a program called Home Based Community Services) for home care. They can help with bathing and incontinence care. Some places you can check with to find out how to get help are your Drs office, the Social Worker at your local nursing home or your local "Agency on Ageing". Her Dr may be able to prescribe medication to increase her appetite so that she will want to eat.

As for eating now, she should have whatever she will eat. I usually try to give reluctant eaters whatever I wouldn't eat because there are too many calories. So, add butter, sugar and oils to whatever you can. One of my favorites is to add ice cream to a hot chocolate, or a hot chocolate mix to coffee to make a mocha. If you do use ensure or an equivalent, I would add ice cream or even a couple of tablespoons of organic coconut oil. Make every little bit of what she will eat or drink calorie rich. We add butter and lots of brown sugar to oatmeal.

Good luck.
  • msladydove
    msladydove Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I would say the family needs to hire someone to care for her instead of resenting caring for her. It is the family responsability to make sure she is properly taken care of.
  • JenCatwalk
    JenCatwalk Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I would say the family needs to hire someone to care for her instead of resenting caring for her.

Hi mom. :flowerforyou:
  • msladydove
    Options
    Hie Sweetie :)
  • msladydove
    Options
    I don[t mean to be rude when I say this but ,,,, what was you thinking to agree to take care of this woman? What I am really hearing from you is ;;;

I resent caring for her, she is doing these things to ruin my day, I have farm work to do and that is more important then taking care of my inlaw, and I dont care if my mother in law is clean or not.........
    etc

I am not trying to be mean but I have taken care of seniors since 1981 for a living. This is something that needs to be said to a lot of families out there when faced with caring for an elderly loved one.

She can get a Urinary Tract Infection if you don't clean her priivates. That can lead to her becoming septic and could cost her her life.

You all need to hire someone.... seriously