The foam roller

Options
I had heard about it over the years, but recently purchased one. If you don't have one yet, BUY ONE!!

It is amazing!!

I am still trying to figure out the best way to get at my trapezius muscles.

LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!! :bigsmile: :laugh: :glasses:

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    use a tennis ball to get at your traps. a tennis ball (or golf ball for the truly bad *kitten* among us), will get those areas very well and will work the normal areas (IT band, glutes, quads, hams) with additional intensity once if the regular roller isn't enough.

I highly recommend the Rumble Roller Black for foam rolling
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    I got a foam roller a few weeks ago and I agree that it works wonders. I also have "The Stick" to use on my calves.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    after every run..foam roll,foam roll,foam roll. it's a mantra :-)
  • CoachDreesTraining
    CoachDreesTraining Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Try a lacrosse ball or softball for the trap/levator scapulae region.
  • christianteach
    christianteach Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I just bought one of these! I'm glad to hear they work!! How do you use yours?
  • weese17
    weese17 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I don't know how many times I've said that the foam roller is the single best thing I ever purchased. If I could marry it, I would. :D
  • iamaelephant
    Options
    This is one of the dumbest exercise fads yet.
  • nat8199
    nat8199 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I do not know why anyone would think it is dumb. I makes my back feel so much better.
  • lenkearney
    lenkearney Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    This is one of the dumbest exercise fads yet.

I don't believe anything until I try it. I tried it - hurt like hell the first time . Doesn't hurt any more and I feel better after using it.

have you tried it?
  • 9jenn9
    9jenn9 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Good thread. I've been thinking about getting one. What do you think the benefits are for you?
  • angelams1019
    angelams1019 Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    Oh good god the dreaded foam roller! It hurts so bad!! lol
  • MrsSenecal
    MrsSenecal Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    what is it??
  • angelams1019
    angelams1019 Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    what is it??

The devil.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Both my trainer & my chiropractor recommend it, so I don't classify it as a "fad." I personally classify it as a torture device, along with my very innocent-looking tennis ball.
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    Get a tennis ball too and here is an AWESOME website to help use it:

http://www.athletestreatingathletes.com

I got it when I had an over use injury in my hip and my hip is 100% okay now; also I have repeatedly pulled my right hamstring for years but since using this (and the tennis ball); my hamstring has been truly performing without pulls!! Whether you are aware or not, once you pull a muscle (specifically the hamstring); you have a propensity to pull it over and over again. I have to say since using my foam roller and tennis ball, I haven't felt any pull in my hamstring and its been about 6 months - super YAY! Oh and I run 3-4x per week and weight train 3x per week.
  • rakufire
    rakufire Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Length of PVC pipe, covered in old hiking mat or thick yoga mat, lots of duct tape = supercheap foam roller. Make a couple in different sizes for all the different muscles. Awesome.

[edited for typo]
  • sukiwabi
    sukiwabi Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    edit -- insert quote of above poster here about it being a dumb exercise fad.

well, maybe it works for people. same as warming up and stretching. YMMV.
  • lenkearney
    lenkearney Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Good thread. I've been thinking about getting one. What do you think the benefits are for you?

loosens tight muscles, helps stretch tendons (like IT band), makes me more flexible