Best cardio for fat loss? **Personal preferences welcome**

Options
In YOUR personal opinion, what is the "best" cardio method to blast fat? I get my HIIT from kettlebell training (after lifting) and I do bike, but I want to zap some fat. I do cardio on my "non-lifting" days, which are Tues, Thurs, and Sat. What do you do? Should I start running more? (I've had a bum ankle and now I can move A LOT better on it). Use the elliptical? What do you suggest?
**Note: I know diet is key. This plays into the exercise portion of it (: **

Replies

• kassiebby1124
    kassiebby1124 Posts: 927 Member
    Options
    Bump.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    I like running intervals or hills on the treadmill, or doing videos at home, like JM 30DS, RI 30, and The Firm Super Cardio Mix is excellent.
  • mittencat77
    mittencat77 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    running. great as long as you have no joint problems. can do it anywhere, anytime. all you need is a pair of shoes.
  • doIlhands
    doIlhands Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I like the stairmaster & rower the best. I feel like im actually doing something unlike the elliptical where the machine moves your body and does all of the work for you (idk if that makes any sense lol).
  • kassiebby1124
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I guess I shall start running again. I do have ONE question: How does one push themselves to run more? I mean, physically, I don't think I'm tired. But mentally, I guess?
  • BrookeBQ
    BrookeBQ Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I guess I shall start running again. I do have ONE question: How does one push themselves to run more? I mean, physically, I don't think I'm tired. But mentally, I guess?
    Get a Fitbit! Set a goal and keep going into until your goal is reached :) that is how I motivate myself to run, haha. I use the Flex and it vibrates when I reach my goal, so then I stop and head home
  • kassiebby1124
    Options
    Get a Fitbit! Set a goal and keep going into until your goal is reached :) that is how I motivate myself to run, haha. I use the Flex and it vibrates when I reach my goal, so then I stop and head home
    Is it free..?
  • mjrkearney
    mjrkearney Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Try to improve your time. Set it as a competition against yourself. If you listen to music, find something that just will not let you go slow and crank it. Hell, find your road rage music and turn it up on your mp3 player.
  • kazsjourney
    kazsjourney Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I try and do a mix...HIIT (on rower and cross trainer) but I also like to do a couple sessions per week of just steady state cardio which I usually do Cross trainer or running outdoors. Another good one if you have some flights of stairs...walk or run up them...my old gym had 7 flights out the back....i would run up them 5 times would take like 20 mins or so was great for cardio and also for building endurance it really assisted my running.
  • shadowkat57
    shadowkat57 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    This probably sounds trite, but the best cardio exercise is the one that you'll stick with... for example, I find cardio machines booooorrrring, so I don't use them much, but I don't mind going for a walk outside and chucking in as much jogging as I can do (not much). And I'd much rather dance like a doofus at home for an hour than embarrass myself trying (and failing) to do an aerobics class. So maybe try a few different things, and work out what you find most enjoyable/least painful...
  • Binkie1955
    Binkie1955 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Physiologically, there is no 'cardio' routine that blasts fat. it's mythological. Fat doesn't leave the body that way. the chemical signals in your diet tell the adipose tissue whether to release or retain fat not your activity. The activity uses the glycogen certainly. but that just stimulates appetite. your carbohydrate, protein and fat consumption 'signal' the chemical activity that triggers the storing or releasing of nutrients in adipose (fat) tissue. The exercise stimulates the 'appetite' and the 'diet' stimulates the chemistry of fat metabolization. Carbohydrate reduction is the key to relaxing the pancreas from releasing excess insulin, the 'fat storage' hormone. Exercise stimulates ALL the other hormones that metabolize fat. But without shutting down the insulin, you can exercise your heart out and not lose a pound of fat. takes two to tango.
  • slartybart
    Options
    hi there I find cycling great i do 60 km a day on average and have lost 14 kgs and 10 percent body fat
  • MrsSenecal
    MrsSenecal Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I like using the Arc Trainer myself. I burn a ton of calories and it doesnt feel awful using it. I love it and its definately my cardio of choice!
  • kassiebby1124
    Options
    Physiologically, there is no 'cardio' routine that blasts fat. it's mythological. Fat doesn't leave the body that way. the chemical signals in your diet tell the adipose tissue whether to release or retain fat not your activity. The activity uses the glycogen certainly. but that just stimulates appetite. your carbohydrate, protein and fat consumption 'signal' the chemical activity that triggers the storing or releasing of nutrients in adipose (fat) tissue. The exercise stimulates the 'appetite' and the 'diet' stimulates the chemistry of fat metabolization. Carbohydrate reduction is the key to relaxing the pancreas from releasing excess insulin, the 'fat storage' hormone. Exercise stimulates ALL the other hormones that metabolize fat. But without shutting down the insulin, you can exercise your heart out and not lose a pound of fat. takes two to tango.
    I'm gonna be honest and tell you that I understood none of that.

@Everyone else- Thanks for letting me know what you like to do c:
  • kzakian
    kzakian Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Elliptical person here. I find it burns the most calories in the least amount of time, which encourages me to go for longer to maximize my calorie loss. I'm not much of an outdoors person, and I don't mind the repetitiveness, in fact I like the routine. Also the elliptical is a LOT less hard on my knees so I don't feel sore after a work-out, and can do the exact same effort the next day. I just crank up the music and go for as long as I can :)
  • MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    I would do interval running. C25K is awesome for beginners.

The C25K app is free. It times your running/walking intervals.
  • kjmosquito
    kjmosquito Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    One thing that is helping me is Leslie Samsone DVD's that I can pop in my computer. I work from home so when I can't get outside; i.e., waiting for something to happen on my job and I have to be in the office, I just pop in the DVD - it's really amazing how fast the miles add up. I just bought her newest one the Belly Blast. I've been pleased with all of them.:smile:
  • jesseg1989
    jesseg1989 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    HIIT Cardio would probably be the best, but my personal preference is just to walk for an hour.
  • kassiebby1124
    Options
    I would do interval running. C25K is awesome for beginners.

The C25K app is free. It times your running/walking intervals.
    I have Zombie's Run! (:
  • kmillers
    kmillers Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Spinning. It has intervals, resistance, good music plus you can make it as hard or easy as you want every single workout.