What's in my closet? Fat clothes and my self esteem.

Options
bisquickshawl
bisquickshawl Posts: 29 Member
When you try to get all dolled up, makeup done, hair done, pants that make your butt look good, BUT OH CRAP! That muffin top wasn't there last week! Ok, easy fix, just wear a dress! That dress you bought 2 years ago but forgot that the reason you stopped wearing it was because it made your stomach looks like you're about to have a baby. Hmmmm, what else is in there... I guess I could make sweat pants look kinda good if I just wear my sexy shirt BUT OH WAIT! That shirt shows your arm fat! Change it to a long sleeve shirt, I mean cardigan, I mean... a sweater? You know what sounds comfy? that XL t-shirt in the back of your closet! GREAT! Now I just look like a fat nasty cow! Well, tonight is ruined, might as well go eat an entire bag on Milano cookies, and you do this because you're convinced that will make you feel better. Then you realize the bag is empty and you end up feeling like a nasty cow again. And you start all over with a new bag of cookies, and a new XXL shirt that doesn't have chocolate and cookie crumbs on it, feeding the vicious cycle.
Anyone else? Nope, just me

Replies

• BrookeBQ
    BrookeBQ Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Definitely not just you. I think we have all felt that way at some point. Start logging your calories, find some good friends on this site, and I wish the best for you!
  • kali31337
    kali31337 Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    Wait...did you spy on my life? Sound about right to me.
  • chrisloveslife
    chrisloveslife Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    This sounds like when I'm looking for clothes to go out with my friends, minus the guilt eating. I had the hardest time trying to find something to wear last night...
  • Janice2Shakira
    Options
    Sounds completely familiar. You are not alone.
  • IrishHarpy1
    IrishHarpy1 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Been there, done that, still have the size 22 pants hanging in my closet... right next to the size 2 dress I recently wore to my nephew's wedding. I keep it as a reminder of where I was and how very much MFP and all my friends here have helped me get healthy.

You'll get there, too -- if you want it badly enough, if you're not afraid of hard work, and if you understand that it will NOT happen overnight.... you'll get to wherever you want to be!
  • onwarddownward
    onwarddownward Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    Every time I lose a bit more, I donate my clothes to a charity. Life's too short to dress in fat clothes! I'll be glad when I'm forced to buy newer smaller ones!
  • leebesstoad
    leebesstoad Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    I really don't care what is in my closet any more as long as it isn't me. I spent far too many years there. :smile: :smile:
  • sarahthin
    sarahthin Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    It's mind over matter.Those clothes will fit again for a while. Get rid of the cookies, not by eating, and push forward. Find one thing that fits and makes you feel good. Don't let too small clothes feed your depression.
  • WannabeStressFree
    WannabeStressFree Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    oooh this is me! though I now don't care too much if my flabby arms show, etc.Though I do have a few dresses/pants in my closet I'd like to fit into (again or for the 1st time).
    My 2cents, don't buy cookies or junk food you know you'll eat if you're feeling down, it's helped me a bit!
  • PapaverSomniferum
    PapaverSomniferum Posts: 2,677 Member
    Options
    You just wrote the story of my life.
  • chunkydunk714
    chunkydunk714 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Totally me.

And nobody understands why I wear hoodies in the summer or why I no longer wear jeans.
  • thetiniestgirl
    Options
    That is so me, also
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I solve this problem by putting a bag over my head.

That way people don't have to look at my face, and, as a bonus, I can't eat anything.
  • mmm_drop
    mmm_drop Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    I solve this problem by putting a bag over my head.

That way people don't have to look at my face, and, as a bonus, I can't eat anything.

But you have such a handsome face.
  • miss_jessiejane
    miss_jessiejane Posts: 2,820 Member
    Options
    I've determined that all of my clothes just hate me.
  • JustAboutDelicious_wechanged
    Options
    Totally relate. Some days I think the clothes I currently have look ok and other days I think I look horrible.

I also get rid of any "too big" clothes and limit myself to only having what fits...I don't want any excuses for me to be able to fit into anything bigger again. So my clothing selection is limited right now because I don't want to spend a ton of money on clothes that will only fit for a little bit longer.

I've chosen to mostly just walk around naked. Saves money.
  • Grlnxtdr0721
    Grlnxtdr0721 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    You are not alone...I am there with you...ok really I am not going to break out in some old school MJ song...but seriously...you aren't alone. I do the same thing...And on days like that, I have a few fall back dresses that I always go to. And, I plan a really good workout---those are usually the days I do my 4+ mile runs...It gives me the motivation and then I can say "Yea well, you may have gotten me once today, but I will beat you for it" and kick your own *kitten*
  • RockinTerri
    RockinTerri Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Every time I lose a bit more, I donate my clothes to a charity. Life's too short to dress in fat clothes! I'll be glad when I'm forced to buy newer smaller ones!

That's a great idea! I have about 30% of my closet that I feel doesn't fit me well anymore (too loose, too baggy). I want to get new clothes, but not too soon either. Maybe I'll make a trip to Goodwill soon...
  • tj1376
    tj1376 Posts: 1,402 Member
    Options

That's a great idea! I have about 30% of my closet that I feel doesn't fit me well anymore (too loose, too baggy). I want to get new clothes, but not too soon either. Maybe I'll make a trip to Goodwill soon...

Check your local area for consignment clothes, they can sell your bigger clothes and you can spend the money on new smaller clothes - I call that a win!!!
  • RockinTerri
    RockinTerri Posts: 499 Member
    Options

Check your local area for consignment clothes, they can sell your bigger clothes and you can spend the money on new smaller clothes - I call that a win!!!

Thanks!