CHIA SEEDS

Options
Hello, I was wondering if I could get some advice about the superfood chia seeds. I have read that you need to grind them to get their nutrients, however I've also heard that this is not necessary. To grind or not to grind? I was just planning on using them for my green protein smoothies.

Suggestions how to prepare these for optimal nutrient absorption would be greatly appreciated! :)

Replies

• BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    grinding them is unnecessary. toss them in some yogurt, in a salad or make some chocolate Chia pudding.
  • divaindy
    divaindy Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Toss in your oatmeal
  • Oh_britters
    Oh_britters Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I almost bought some today but gosh they're pricey. Are they really soft enough to eat in salads?
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    you can eat them as they come.

KrunkPower they are quite tiny so you really won't notice them, and they don't really have a flavour. They do take on a jelly like texture when they absorb liquid though so your salad dressing might absorb into them depending on how long it sits.
  • blood6338
    blood6338 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    They are crunchy in a salad. If you put them in some sort of liquid for a little bit they develop a gel coating on the outside...hence no need to grind them unlike flax seeds which need to be ground in order for your body to be able to get any benefit from them. I put them in protein shakes, on cereal, in yogurt and flat bread just as an example.
  • blood6338
    blood6338 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Oh...and be prepared to spend some time picking them out from between your teeth. What fun! :)
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    Oh...and be prepared to spend some time picking them out from between your teeth. What fun! :)

YES THIS, i started carrying dental floss in my purse.
  • Oh_britters
    Options
    Thanks for the info! I'm just getting to used to the nuances of flaxseed & juicing in general. I've been surprised by how not awful my green smoothies are and I'm ready to tackle the ch-ch-chia!
  • GormanGhaste
    GormanGhaste Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I sprinkle a spoonful on my dry cereal before I add the almond milk. Easy!
  • koshkasmum
    koshkasmum Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Oooooh aren't you scared that you will shower and end up with green leafy fuzz all over your head like the little ceramic frog I used to have?????? LOL
  • nicole2198
    Options
    Great suggestion!
  • Oh_britters
    Options
    Lol! You are what u eat. Soooo it sounds like for green smoothies it may be a good idea to grind them so you don't get a weird consistency? But they don't have to be ground for absorption purposes? Yes? No? Maybe so?
  • GormanGhaste
    GormanGhaste Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    No, they don't need to be ground up for nutritional reasons.
  • mi_lady
    mi_lady Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    They don't need to be ground, but I now buy ground Chia in addition to normal Chia seeds. I prefer the ground chia in things like soup and yogurt, and whole chia on things like salad, sauteed vegetables, etc.
  • jen_zz
    jen_zz Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    I usually soak them in water to make a gel first, then protein powder, then cold water, shake shake!