Advice on FitBit type gadget

Options
lmo0183
lmo0183 Posts: 41 Member
I am thinking about making a new purchase. I would like something like the FitBit that tracks movement and sleep and the things like that. I like the bracelet flex band things. I have also read they aren't as accurate as the Fit Bit One. I also noticed an advertisement on myfitnesspal for UP By Jawbone. It seems really cool, but it is still a bracelet (may not be as accurate?) What other options are out there?? What do you use?? What do you like??
Thanks!

Replies

• jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    The most accurate one is the Bodymedia fit. You will find loads of info on gadgets on past posts. Do searches for
    Fitbit (Flex, One,?Zip)
    Bodymedia Fit ( KIFIT in UK)
    Basis
    jawbone Up
    nike Fuelband
    Amiigo

If its for steady state cardio exercises- look at Heart Rate Monitor.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    You should look at this article, since it compares a few of the different things out there.

http://www.getgrok.com/2013/01/a-comparative-review-28-days-with-the-fitbit-one-jawbone-up-nike-fuelband-and-bodymedia-link/

I personally have a fitbit zip and although it is 100% accurate for me (underestimates calories, but accurate with everything else), I still love it. It has definitely helped me become more active.

If I could ever afford it though, I'd probably replace it with Basis. Basis is a watch, activity tracker like body media (skin sensors) and constant HRM (according to reviews and basis website). The only problem I have with it is the $200 price tag. I looked at Bodymedia, but didn't like the subscription fee (I really don't have an extra $7 a month...and no I don't have cable or netflix) to view the data collected and the fact that you have to wear it on your upper arm (the only time I'd be able to hide it is in the winter).
  • GrammyNanner
    GrammyNanner Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I recently started using Fitbit Zip and am very pleased. I have no need to monitor my sleep, so I didn't purchase the Fitbit One.
  • BeardedMike
    BeardedMike Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    If you want to track your everyday activites and sleep quality these things are pretty good. The Bodymedia Fit has the most sensors but the others are much more compact.

In terms of serious activity tracking, these things are a joke. I own the bodymedia fit and the Fitbit flex and I use them purely for motorvation. None of these devices can track your heart rate. If you want to accurately track you heart rate and calorie expenditure you MUST use a heart rate monitor. Those other devices do NOT work for work outs such as free weights, aerobics or anything done on machines. They basically only track walking movements, the fitbit flex thought a exteneded period of keyboard typing was me working out, that was the last day I used it.

I had my metabolism tested properly (in a lab hooked upto a breathing machine) and it was pretty much spot on compared to the results I got using the equations.

My advice, guesstimate your daily expenditure (using an equation) then properly track your workouts with a heart rate monitor.
  • jme6976
    jme6976 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I disagree that you say the bodymedia fit isn't accurate for calorie expenditure. They have been proven to be 90% accurate. I personally depend on mine and have been using daily for 3 months. I have lost 36 lbs since Jan 1 and my weight loss sped up significantly after acquiring my bodymedia fit band in April. I am now at my goal weight and using for maintenance. Personally I love this product and have learned so much about how my body is working and is a big reason for my success!
  • MoRiv1986
    MoRiv1986 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Bump.
  • JenCatwalk
    JenCatwalk Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Bump. :)