The foam roller

Options

Replies

• ihad
    ihad Posts: 7,462 Member
    Options
    Used one as part of PT rehab, and loved it. Now it's a part of my regular routine.
  • iamaelephant
    Options
    Good thread. I've been thinking about getting one. What do you think the benefits are for you?

loosens tight muscles, helps stretch tendons (like IT band), makes me more flexible
    The IT band is not a tendon. Not only is there ABSOLUTELY NO evidence that it helps IT band problems, but there's not even a theoretical reason why it should. Please do some very basic research on the anatomy of the IT band and answer the following 2 questions for me:
    1. How does the foam roller stretch the IT band? Just in a basic sense, what forces cause this stretching? Explain how it's even possible for the IT band to be stretched.
    2. Assuming the IT band can be stretched, what is the benefit of having a loose IT band? What are the drawbacks of having a tight IT band? In what state is the IT band in a healthy individual with no injuries? Tight, or loose?

I think you'll find that if you make even the slightest effort to research and answer these questions you'll find that the IT band is not what you think it is and foam rolling could not possibly help IT band issues. This is one of the most pervasive myths currently spreading on running discussion forums.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Good thread. I've been thinking about getting one. What do you think the benefits are for you?

loosens tight muscles, helps stretch tendons (like IT band), makes me more flexible
    The IT band is not a tendon. Not only is there ABSOLUTELY NO evidence that it helps IT band problems, but there's not even a theoretical reason why it should. Please do some very basic research on the anatomy of the IT band and answer the following 2 questions for me:
    1. How does the foam roller stretch the IT band? Just in a basic sense, what forces cause this stretching? Explain how it's even possible for the IT band to be stretched.
    2. Assuming the IT band can be stretched, what is the benefit of having a loose IT band? What are the drawbacks of having a tight IT band? In what state is the IT band in a healthy individual with no injuries? Tight, or loose?

I think you'll find that if you make even the slightest effort to research and answer these questions you'll find that the IT band is not what you think it is and foam rolling could not possibly help IT band issues. This is one of the most pervasive myths currently spreading on running discussion forums.

Worked on my IT band. And in the IT bands of everyone I know that's tried it. Also works on my glutes, back, quads, and traps.

Thanks for your contribution tho
  • luisalg14
    luisalg14 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Ohhhh, this is interesting! Thanks for posting.
    I sometimes use dryer machine balls on my feet (I have flat feet, so rolling on them feels really nice after high impact workouts), so I had thought of getting a foam roller to try to achieve the same on my back and hammies. I will look into buying one now :)
  • iamaelephant
    Options
    Worked on my IT band. And in the IT bands of everyone I know that's tried it. Also works on my glutes, back, quads, and traps.

This is almost certainly a combination of 'regression to the mean' and 'post hoc ergo propter hoc'. You probably never had a serious IT band problem, you just had a slight over-training injury or similar (very much more common than a serious IT band injury). When the injury was at or near its worst is when you decided to start treating it. You rolled it with a foam roller, which did nothing for your IT band. But because the injury was already at its worst then it was going to start getting better anyway (a regression to the average state, or mean). When your injury started to get better you naturally credited the foam roller (post hoc ergo propter hoc, or 'after the event therefore because of the event').

I'm not criticizing you or calling you stupid, but this is the exact process that causes people to believe in all kinds of nonsense. It's a very common thought process and it's why you should never rely solely on your own limited experiences when research shows it's not true.

Again, there is no evidence that foam rollers will help your IT band. And please stop talking about "stretching" your IT band - it doesn't make sense!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    great. next you'll be telling me that i'm wasting my money on deep tissue massages because i don't actually feel better after and if i do, it's just a placebo effect. and then you'll probably go after the easter bunny
  • CoachDreesTraining
    CoachDreesTraining Posts: 223 Member
    Options

This is almost certainly a combination of 'regression to the mean' and 'post hoc ergo propter hoc'. You probably never had a serious IT band problem, you just had a slight over-training injury or similar (very much more common than a serious IT band injury). When the injury was at or near its worst is when you decided to start treating it. You rolled it with a foam roller, which did nothing for your IT band. But because the injury was already at its worst then it was going to start getting better anyway (a regression to the average state, or mean). When your injury started to get better you naturally credited the foam roller (post hoc ergo propter hoc, or 'after the event therefore because of the event').

I'm not criticizing you or calling you stupid, but this is the exact process that causes people to believe in all kinds of nonsense. It's a very common thought process and it's why you should never rely solely on your own limited experiences when research shows it's not true.

Again, there is no evidence that foam rollers will help your IT band. And please stop talking about "stretching" your IT band - it doesn't make sense!

Rather than arguing with you, and breaking down why foam rolling works for ITB syndrome I'll just post the first 2 Google articles I found. The goal is not to lengthen the ITB, but the fascia and muscles surrounding it.

http://www.runnersworld.com/injury-treatment/almost-magical-foam-roller
    http://drbenkim.com/how-foam-roll-IT-band.htm
  • iamaelephant
    Options
    Rather than arguing with you, and breaking down why foam rolling works for ITB syndrome I'll just post the first 2 Google articles I found. The goal is not to lengthen the ITB, but the fascia and muscles surrounding it.

http://www.runnersworld.com/injury-treatment/almost-magical-foam-roller
    http://drbenkim.com/how-foam-roll-IT-band.htm

You seriously must be joking. The first link you provided cites no sources and just throws out claims as facts to be believed on faith. It refers to the IT band as "the outside of the thigh" (wrong), it calls stretching "very beneficial" (wrong). It makes the claim, "your IT Band will loosen up" which makes no sense in the context of anatomy (PLEASE read what the IT band is, you will easily understand why it doesn't make sense to "loosen" it up).

I'm not going to spend too much time on the second link you provided because if you can't see the absurdity on the face of it then you're beyond help. Suffice it to say that the author is a chiropractor and acupuncturist (while we're on the topic of things that have no evidence to back them up...) and HE SELLS FOAM ROLLERS. He has a stake in you wanting to use them.

I took the time to read your links, if you would take the time I would genuinely appreciate it if you'd read just one of mine. Maybe it will change your mind, maybe not.

http://www.thebodymechanic.ca/2012/03/17/stop-foam-rolling-your-it-band-it-can-not-lengthen-and-it-is-not-tight/
    Please feel free to click the "Greg Lehman" link at the top and check the author's credentials - he is the real deal.

(I'd also like to point out that I Googled the author of your first article. Guess what? He also sells foam rollers. The second author sells not only foam rollers, but instructional DVDs on how to use foam rollers).
  • KBjimAZ
    KBjimAZ Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I'm not here to argue the does/does not about the IT band. I will say that whenever I foam roll, a few quick passes across my IT band does feel pretty good. I personally get more good from concentrating more on my TFL.
  • Tdacks
    Tdacks Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I bought one and used it for a few weeks. I followed the useless video that was included, but the roller is so thick and my arms are so short that I couldn't comfortably hold myself in the positions. Curses, being short. I tried some really well-described set of moves from a site recommended on the MFP boards. I ended up with lots of bruised areas. I would rather get properly beat up by my (deep tissue) massage therapist, because she knows how to dig in to the right muscle to work a knot loose, instead of bruising the whole area. Now *that* is pain with a purpose! Not that I can afford it anymore...
  • tarashley13
    tarashley13 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    use a tennis ball to get at your traps. a tennis ball (or golf ball for the truly bad *kitten* among us), will get those areas very well and will work the normal areas (IT band, glutes, quads, hams) with additional intensity once if the regular roller isn't enough.

I highly recommend the Rumble Roller Black for foam rolling

Thanks.

I saw the Rumble Roller Black roller and was a little unsure about it. Good to know.
  • tarashley13
    Options
    I got a foam roller a few weeks ago and I agree that it works wonders. I also have "The Stick" to use on my calves.

I had to look up "the Stick", very cool.

Looks convenient for traveling.
  • tarashley13
    Options
    after every run..foam roll,foam roll,foam roll. it's a mantra :-)

I think I might have to start this routine.
  • tarashley13
    Options
    Try a lacrosse ball or softball for the trap/levator scapulae region.

Never thought to use a lacrosse ball.

Thank you!
  • tarashley13
    Options
    I just bought one of these! I'm glad to hear they work!! How do you use yours?

I have watched A LOT of youtube videos and read tons of blogs, so I do it all different ways.

My favorite is having it horizontal and just rolling it up at down my back and moving my shoulders and arms (reaching and stuff) as I do. And I also love laying on it along my spine and rocking it back and forth between my shoulder blades and hips.
  • tarashley13
    Options
    I don't know how many times I've said that the foam roller is the single best thing I ever purchased. If I could marry it, I would. :D

Agreed!
  • tarashley13
    Options

There are numerous benefits. There are blogs written about them. Some include keeping flexibility, preventing injury, increase blood flow, helps improve spinal alignment, and I know for me, it helps with pain.
  • tarashley13
    Options
    Both my trainer & my chiropractor recommend it, so I don't classify it as a "fad." I personally classify it as a torture device, along with my very innocent-looking tennis ball.

hahaha

I think if you have enough built up tightness, it can be. Just work through it.
  • tarashley13
    Options
    Get a tennis ball too and here is an AWESOME website to help use it:

http://www.athletestreatingathletes.com

I got it when I had an over use injury in my hip and my hip is 100% okay now; also I have repeatedly pulled my right hamstring for years but since using this (and the tennis ball); my hamstring has been truly performing without pulls!! Whether you are aware or not, once you pull a muscle (specifically the hamstring); you have a propensity to pull it over and over again. I have to say since using my foam roller and tennis ball, I haven't felt any pull in my hamstring and its been about 6 months - super YAY! Oh and I run 3-4x per week and weight train 3x per week.

I have two tennis balls. I look forward to looking at that and applying it.

Thank you so much!