binge help.

Options
i don't binge often but I lost 5 pounds over the last 2 weeks & I had a super bad binge today. Any help, advice, words of encouragement? Maybe a cleanse I could do? :( Also, I'm going on a vacation to Chicago next week and I'm worried I may slip up again because we'll be eating out constantly. I don't have time to gain weight :(

Replies

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    You had a slip up and tomorrow is a new day. Don't beat yourself up; everyone slips once in a while. Use the energy to plan healthy meals and exercise instead. To lose weight successfully requires a long term lifestyle change, but not perfection. Good luck to you.:flowerforyou:
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    What is your definition of a binge? Did you go over your maintenance calories for the day? By how much? What are your weekly calorie numbers? Are you over maintenance on your weekly calories?

No to the cleanse.

Vacation? Enjoy yourself. If you're really worried about it, set your calories to maintenance for the week. Exercise to earn more calories.
  • angelakristine10209
    Options
    You had a slip up and tomorrow is a new day. Don't beat yourself up; everyone slips once in a while. Use the energy to plan healthy meals and exercise instead. To lose weight successfully requires a long term lifestyle change, but not perfection. Good luck to you.:flowerforyou:

I really needed to hear this. Thank you :))
  • angelams1019
    angelams1019 Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    omg I was just in Chicago last week for 4 days and it was basically a 4 day food fest! lol You're in Chicago! I say enjoy yourself and make it up later! Thats what I'm doing! :)

And MAKE SURE you go to LITTLE GOAT!!! Its absolutely AMAZING!! :)

Also, Francescas Forno and Northside in Wicker Park are both really great also! :)

AND if you want a nice dinner out (pricier) go to Mastros downtown! And if you feel like splurging, get the Butter Cake! lol Its TO DIE FOR. :drinker:

Sorry, I guess I didn't really help your binge problem...But now you have some great food options! :drinker:
  • soccerdog693
    soccerdog693 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Try not to worry about it. I binged today - went to the movies and ate a large tub of popcorn all by myself. Then I came home, biked for an hour, and managed not to do too much damage to my calories. Tomorrow is a new day.

My suggestion - don't weigh yourself after a binge day! You're just going to set yourself up for disappointment...
  • angelakristine10209
    Options
    What is your definition of a binge? Did you go over your maintenance calories for the day? By how much? What are your weekly calorie numbers? Are you over maintenance on your weekly calories?

No to the cleanse.

Vacation? Enjoy yourself. If you're really worried about it, set your calories to maintenance for the week. Exercise to earn more calories.

Just a family dinner, eating too much to even think about entering,\. I don't know the exact number, but a lot. But my weekly calorie numbers were relatively low. around 1200 cals.
  • angelakristine10209
    Options
    omg I was just in Chicago last week for 4 days and it was basically a 4 day food fest! lol You're in Chicago! I say enjoy yourself and make it up later! Thats what I'm doing! :)

And MAKE SURE you go to LITTLE GOAT!!! Its absolutely AMAZING!! :)

Also, Francescas Forno and Northside in Wicker Park are both really great also! :)

AND if you want a nice dinner out (pricier) go to Mastros downtown! And if you feel like splurging, get the Butter Cake! lol Its TO DIE FOR. :drinker:

Sorry, I guess I didn't really help your binge problem...But now you have some great food options! :drinker:

LOL thanks!!!
  • angelakristine10209
    Options
    Try not to worry about it. I binged today - went to the movies and ate a large tub of popcorn all by myself. Then I came home, biked for an hour, and managed not to do too much damage to my calories. Tomorrow is a new day.

My suggestion - don't weigh yourself after a binge day! You're just going to set yourself up for disappointment...

Right. Thank you.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    Oftentimes binges happen because we restrict too much. Set your goal to a reasonable loss of 1 lb/week and stick to your calories for the day. There are ways to feel more satisfied while in a deficit.

As for vacation, aim to maintain. Anything else and you'll likely be disappointed.

Weight regulation is like this: when time permits, you focus on your specific goals - fat loss, muscle gain, athletic improvements etc. When specific events e.g. vacation, major life stresses (death, moving, divorce, empty nesting) happen you aim to maintain. Then get back to your goals once things calm down. That's not to say you make excuses for not achieving your goals - not everything can be considered a major life event - but you go at it systematically.

You'll get there, but you have to be patient.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options

No to the cleanse.

Just a family dinner, eating too much to even think about entering,\. I don't know the exact number, but a lot. But my weekly calorie numbers were relatively low. around 1200 cals.

Your goal is 1200 cals? Yeah, that's highly unlikely that 1200 is even remotely close to your maintenance calories. Don't worry about it.
  • FitnessBeverlyHills
    Options
    I think you will be fine, I'm sure what I ate today could be considered a binge but I eat good Monday-friday and it sounds like you typically eat well and probably hit below your calorie goals often. All those calories carry over for the week so on the weekend you usually have extra calories you can splurge on. If you are worried about "binging" just save some caloriesand eat good the other 80% of the time.

When you are in chicago and eating out a lot it helps to look at the menu in advance and pick better options, be picky, dont be afraid to ask for no butter or to sub a loaded baked potato for more veggies. Don't let it throw you off course, like previously said it has to be a lifestyle change and part of our lifestyle is going out to eat. You can totally make it work =)
  • lenoresaari
    lenoresaari Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I say log it anyway; do quick added and estimate. It is good to be accurate and honest with yourself in your logging.
  • RunFarLiveHappy
    RunFarLiveHappy Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Definitely always log everything. Don't use it to make yourself feel guilty, use it as a tool to remind yourself how much you want this. I definitely agree with the above about too much restriction leading to binges. Be kind to yourself. Everything in moderation. Enjoy your vacation!!!! Chicago does have good eats!
  • KellyyT
    KellyyT Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about the binge! and always, always, ALWAYS be honest with your food log! just because you didn't log, doesn't mean you didn't eat it! don't lie to yourself or your log, and you'll know where the numbers are coming from!

i had 23 calories today BEFORE i had dinner, and still chose to have the leftovers of fried chicken and potatoes from the other day! completely blew my count by over 500 cals, but i don't care! =) it was absolutely delicious and i loved every bite! also, because i tend to fall short of eating back all my cals on the other days when i exercise, this just balanced me out and i was barely over my count for the week!

ONE bad day doesn't ruin a good week! so stop beating yourself up and don't forget to log! enjoy your food and happy tracking!
  • dogprsn
    dogprsn Posts: 5
    Options
    I'm horrible at this. . . I blow it one day, and that gives me permission to blow it the next day, and pretty soon I've lost focus, and I'm back where I am now. Hmph. I figure it took more than just one big binge to get me to this weight, and one big binge in the midst of months of eating well isn't going to stop me from making my goal, right? I did the same thing yesterday. Tomorrow's a new day, maybe I'll reach my goal a day or 2 later than originally planned.
  • missbis
    missbis Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I still have a problem with overeating, but I've found that restricting doesn't help. I aim to eat as healthy as possible, but I never make it a point to restrict foods. I avoid stuff like ice cream most of the time, but I don't tell myself "YOU CAN'T HAVE THAT!" Maybe there's a fine line between avoiding and restricting, but I've found that when I make it a conscious point to restrict, my brain says "F you!" and I overeat things that aren't healthy.

Exercise helps as well. I feel less hungry on the days I exercise and I don't really crave unhealthy foods.

Good luck to you. I still battle the urge to binge, but it's getting better.