Sugar Intake

Options
Hello all,

I know that ingesting too much sugar is bad for your health. I am just wondering how much sugar you can have before you hit the dangerous levels. I have had a soda habit for quite a long time and am now restricting myself to one can a day (39 g of sugar). Other than soda, I rarely eat other highly sugary foods and instead eat a lot of sugar free pudding, cookies etc when I do have them. (Although I will very occasionally have a piece of candy). However, I also eat a lot of fruit.

I am wondering how damaging this may be in the future. Ideally I would quit soda completely but I have so far found that difficult. Is there a difference between the sugar in the fruit and the sugar in soda? My grandfather has diabetes and I would like to not end up in the same boat in the future.

Thanks!

Kate

Replies

• robin949598
    robin949598 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • vienna_h
    vienna_h Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    no difference between sugar in fruit or soda, it has the same effect on the body.

a quick google search should get you the answer you need, make sure the sources are credible
  • tarynchatfield
    tarynchatfield Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    If you'd like to curb your soda cravings, you could try drinking soda water with extract. I never had a big issue with soda but my friend does it and says it helps tremendously.
  • irma0502
    irma0502 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I was a desert and sweet addict

Could swallow eight gulab jamun (indian sweet) at one stretch...each packed with over 400 calories

But when i cut it out completely i was surprised to find i didnot even like it anymore

Now i drink tea without sugar and it doesnot bother me
  • irma0502
    irma0502 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Oh and i forgot to adress the soda

Same principle applies

When i saw my skinny friends order only water when we ate out i knew that staying normal weight is all about lifestyle choices
  • dhkpp
    dhkpp Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    There is a huge difference between the sugar you find in soda compared to the sugar you find in fruit. Fruit has fibre that slows down the release of the sugar so your insulin does not spike, whereas the refined sugar instantly spikes your insulin.
  • ptaradactyl88
    ptaradactyl88 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    That love of soda is all in your head. I say this from experience. I have gone for long periods without it and then when I did have one, it just doesn't taste good so I just don't do it anymore. And diet soda and "sugar free" drinks and foods generally just contain fake sweeteners that are known cancer causers. Drink water and eat clean. Fresh fruits and veggies, lean meats, beans and rice.
  • candylilacs
    candylilacs Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    Processed or refined sugar and naturally occurring sugar found in fruit is vastly different. I'm on the glycemic index diet because my family has a history or diabetes and I'm trying to keep it at bay.

I drink diet Pepsi, although I'm trying to quit it. I do think drinking water is healthier for you because it helps flush out your system and helps with digestion. Essentially you can't go wrong eating any fruits and vegetables. Unfortunately the more processed your diet, the more additives, preservatives, sugar and sodium show up. It's best if you can make your own food so you have a little more control over what your body is getting.