Losing Weight with Weights

Options
Right,

I'm pretty new to weight lifting/free weights although i have done a little in the past, although this was more for muscle as appose to losing weight.

Whats the best way to do it, is it high intensity lower weights or the opposite way around? Or is it best to do alternate so there is no resting?

Just trying to decide what is best.

Thanks

Replies

• KinoM
    KinoM Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    To the best of my knowledge, you're better off lifting heavy to get results. You using a set of weights at home or in the gym? You looking to build strength for sports, or lifting to lose weight & get some muscle growth?
  • LiamDWalter
    Options
    I'm going to the gym to use the weights they have there.

I'm a rugby player so strength is something i want to gain however, currently Im far too heavy and unfit to be playing. So the weights are to lose weight for now.
  • NathanielUK
    NathanielUK Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Its a rule of "whatever suits you" allthough there are no actual guidelines I follow, I find that lifting heavy will build muscle - More muscle = more calorie use. This is obviously weight loss.

Light weights will rip the muscle and tone your body (lots of reps in sets) I would switch it up, Ripping one day, heavy the next.

Add cardio after weight lifting as well, because the muscle groups you use burn 30% more fat ( apparently - I read that somewhere).
  • LiamDWalter
    Options
    Good tip.. i was wondering should i do cardio before or after! After it is!
  • Ainar
    Ainar Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Not too low weights but not too high either. You wanna stick in bodybuilding rep range what is 8 - 12 reps - the best from both worlds to gain strength and muscle mass while having quite high reps for better cardio. If you go too heavy for low reps you won't get that intensity but if you go very high reps you might lose some/more strength, if you have been lifting heavy so far.

Go to failure, do very short rest, like 40 - 60 sec and do super sets. Keep your heart beating fast like you do cardio, what that basically will be.

I train that pretty often. It's great cardio. Not time consuming either since you will be super setting and having very short rest. Love this type of training. If you compare it to cardio it's pretty much a HIIT session.
  • KinoM
    Options
    Ah, you're a rugby player? Which position? Regardless, you're probably looking to build strength all over. I'd recommend free weights over machines as the dynamic movement involved works more tangental muscle groups and is more similar to what you'd need on the pitch. Would also recommend doing heavy squats in a squat cage to help build explosive power in the legs. Kettlebells are good also. But remember that good form is all important with free weights, so get some proper advice in-house on your technique and program.

I'd agree that you're probably looking at 10-12 reps, 3 sets per exercise, and you should be just about done be the last rep in each set. If you're finishing them easily, you need a heavier weight.
  • LiamDWalter
    Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone!
  • cwennet
    cwennet Posts: 1
    Options
    I'd suggest cardio after weights as well if your primary goal is to improve your muscle (either tone or mass) vs. improving your cardio abilities. Cardio before weights might tire you out just enough that you can't push for the full effect of weight lifting.

Ainar and KinoM give good advice regarding the rep ranges and approaches. Speaking from personal experience, a heart rate monitor also helps greatly. I always used one for cardio but almost never for weight lifting. Since using myfitnesspal, I started using my HRM while weightlifting as well, initially to gauge calories, but I've found that it motivates me to keep moving, add supersets and exercises of other muscle groups while resting, etc. I'm much more likely to push it with a HRM than not while weight lifting. Regardless of muscle group, I almost always throw in a couple of sets of basic kettlebell swings: They are a great way to get your heart rate into the cardio range while working numerous other parts of the body.
  • SmartBlogz
    SmartBlogz Posts: 37
    Options
    Personally and I'm still very much in the learning process, I do cardio before and after weight lifting. Believe you me, I can already see some slight gains or maybe its just an illusion. haha. not giving up though!
  • KinoM
    Options
    If you do use a HRM during lifting, remember that it's going to be calibrated for you using a high % of you VO2 Max, as you would be using during cardio. You use a much lower level lifting so the calorific burn will be massively overstated. Aerobic v Anaerobic. There are massive mid to long term calorie burning benefits for lifting though.
  • DempseyWRX
    DempseyWRX Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely on the side of doing both cardio and weights and the rep ranges below of 8-12 are a great guideline for you. I also used to play rugby (7) and while I was trying to get ready after a long off season of gaining weight, I would always be lifting a mix of heavy/moderate weights to get my strength up. Admittedly these weren't hitting my fast twitch muscles, but the recovery required for your muscles to rebuild keeps you burning calories all day long.

That obviously takes a lot out of you so if you can find the time to make a separate trip to the gym just for cardio than that would be great. It's what i'm doing now and despite me having to take care of myself to avoid injury, I can focus on having a great session each time. My only tip would be that if you either can't make two trips, or if you are still not in great enough shape to run for rugby, the elliptical would get my cardio up and It wouldn't overly stress out my knees.

Hope this helps!
  • kazhowe
    kazhowe Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    bump