A tattoo as a motivator

Options
Maybe it's a mid-life thing, but more and more I'm really entertaining the idea of getting a tattoo as a reward/motivator for hitting my next weight loss goal. Have any of you done, or are doing that?

If you have gotten a tattoo as a permanent reminder of your weight loss journey, what did you get?

Replies

• DreamOfSunshine
    DreamOfSunshine Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    Hi there :)

I have one that I did close to the start of the journey and I will do one as a reward once I'm done :) It's not obvious why it's related to my loss, but for me it has it's own meaning. It's a symbol from a video game :)
  • mcouturezz
    mcouturezz Posts: 145
    Options
    I think that is a great idea if it is something that will be meaningful for/to you.

It's funny I found your post this morning because it is something that I will do too..
    I cannot go in details now I am at work lol ! But I will post again tonight and explain :)
    Cheers !
  • taniiagirl
    taniiagirl Posts: 47
    Options
    Go for it :D
    I am getting one when I reach my last target weight. I get a new piercing with every goal I reach :)
  • Jennwiththree
    Options
    I did! I lost weight and have been running so I feel like I am living a new life. I chose a sign that means "new beginnings" and I love it!
  • naughtyfushsia_wechnaged
    Options
    hiya, i have a loss of 3 stone last year, well, until xmas came and went and between xmas ant today i gaines 7lb, however, 1st stone reward was a hair cut, 2nd stone reward i got my nose peirced (reminder not to go back "there" again and my 3rd stone reward was (and very much still is) that im having a tat done.

So the way i look at it is that you done the work so if you want a tat for a reward than you shall have it granted!
  • miranda_mom
    miranda_mom Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I did it. It is very motivating, especially when you get down toward the end, down toward your goal. The only difference I did was that I set every ten percent of my body weight lost as a "mini-goal" to get one then. I've only gotten one so far and it was an excellent experience, I highly recommend it. I did every ten percent because I have so many in mind that I want to get!
    I got my first one (a heart-shaped Celtic knot with my daughter's name over it) and then I got pregnant sooooooooooo... the weight loss is on hold for now! Obviously I'm going to have to lose some more weight after the baby's born because I'm going to need to get a tattoo for him/her.
    If this is your first, my advice would be take your time and do your research to find an artist who you feel comfortable with and who you really like. Ask friends who did theirs - or even strangers if you like their tattoos and you're not shy! You can Google all sorts of designs online and even categories such as "Celtic tattoos" if you don't know exactly what you wants. Everyone who doesn't have one was like - oh but the pain! But it didn't hurt! My artist even did a "practice mark" with no ink so I could say I didn't want to do it if it hurt.
    Good luck.
  • fullofquirks
    fullofquirks Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have the same idea. I've got a ways to go but it's a good reward.
  • Jennvandemark
    Jennvandemark Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I will be getting a tattoo as a reward. I have already lost 110 pounds but I started with MFP after I had already lost a few pounds so my goal is to get one when my MFP ticker reads 100 lost (7 more lbs to go). My art will not be weight loss related but it does have meaning to me.

I have been wanting to get a new tattoo for 7 years but just never found the time (plus having body image issues) to get it done. Now by setting the goal I am getting something I really want and working hard to get it. Unlike a new pair of shoes I really want new art.
  • FearAnLoathingJ
    FearAnLoathingJ Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Watch out they are addicting! I've gotten six in year!
  • 89nunu
    89nunu Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I used a tattoo as motivator but now that I'm close to goal I don't have money left for the tattoo as I spent so much money on new clothes cause I melted out if everything I own! :D
  • tzig00
    tzig00 Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    I will be getting one down my side as I'll finally be willing to show that part of my body off. :drinker:
  • mcibty
    mcibty Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    I have a swallow on my ribs, which I got about 2 and a half years ago. I got one on purpose to represent that missing 'person' in my life; I had someone at the time who couldn't really be mine. I always said I'd get the other swallow when I got the girl, and when I felt comfortable in my own skin to take my shirt off to get it done.

It's booked for 13th August :D
  • TattedInStilettos
    TattedInStilettos Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Every time I hit my goal I usually get a tattoo or piercing... my tattoos are stars when it's done it'll cover the right half of my body...
  • Mexicanbigfoot
    Mexicanbigfoot Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I currently have 3 tattoos; they have been for different occasions in my life so far. I am getting another one at 57 pounds lost (which will be a milestone for me) I'm getting footprints with a Latin phrase underneath to symbolize my journey. Good luck, if you do end up getting one, would love you to post pics!!
  • gazrec
    gazrec Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    im competing in the spartan sprint obstacle course in sept. once ive smashed the spartans ill be getting a tattoo of a spartan helmet.
  • JAGWIRE13579
    Options
    I think it's a number of things for me. I too am "middle age". I have never had a tattoo and have never really wanted one. If I reach my goal I have considered getting a smallish tattoo where only I can see it. I haven't figured out the best place for that considering my saggy, middle age skin I don't have a ton of choices. I have contacted a top tattoo artist in my area but he is booked for the next 8 months so I have time to decide. I look at it as a way to mark a life changing point in my life.
  • EmmieBaby
    EmmieBaby Posts: 1,235 Member
    Options
    I already have 2 tattoo for different reasons,

My Goal tattoo is still in the works but it will be a Spartan either on my hip or Arm.

the requirements for me to earn that tattoo are:

1- Must feel good in my skin (regardless of the number on the scale)
    2- Must complete a Spartan Race
    3- Must Complete a Tough Mudder Race
    4- Must Complete a 5k run.

once I have achieve these goals I shall get my Spartan =)
  • rsgavin
    rsgavin Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Awesome stuff everyone!

Thanks for sharing!