How many times a day?

paradog
paradog Posts: 378 Member
Okay get your mind out of the gutter! LOL

Is it better to do 3 sets of 30 minutes cardio or 90 minutes straight each day?

Replies

• JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,749 Member
    Why are you doing so much cardio? What is your goal?
  • PepperWorm
    PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
    If I did 90 minutes of cardio each day, I'd be so unhappy! Good lord! I mean, props to you for it though. That's awesome. As long as cardio isn't the ONLY thing you do. :)
  • DDCNY
    DDCNY Posts: 64 Member

Sorry the first response was not at all helpful. The forums on this site tend to be that way.

It's been my understanding that multiple sessions that increase your heart rate are better than just one. Because after each session your heart rate stays elevated for a few hours causing you to continue receiving the benefits of the cardio exercise - such as burning calories.
  • JustJennie1

Sorry the first response was not at all helpful. The forums on this site tend to be that way.

It's been my understanding that multiple sessions that increase your heart rate are better than just one. Because after each session your heart rate stays elevated for a few hours causing you to continue receiving the benefits of the cardio exercise - such as burning calories.

How was my response not helpful? I was asking why they are doing so much cardio and what their goals are. What is wrong with asking that? It's a normal answer to such a broad question. WHY does the OP feel the need to do 90 minutes of cardio? Are they training for something? Are they doing it just because they want to create a calorie deficit and therefore eat more? Are they trying to lean out?

There's a plethora of reasons that someone would be doing so much cardio and I was just simply asking the why.
  • jjscholar
    jjscholar Posts: 413 Member
    The number of times I exercise a day depends on what day it is... Not every week is the same for me...

Mondays I normally use as a rest day...

Tuesdays - last week, I had gone to work and walked the equivalent of 4 miles... Where I work has very large buildings which cover a linear distance of at least 1 city block... Then last Tuesday night I had gone to a friend's Zumba class...

Wednesday I gone to work and go to a generic cardio dance class...

Thursday I had worked out for about 3.5 hours which included elliptical trainer, electronic stationary bike, and resistance exercises...

Friday I had gone to my job and a Friday night Zumba class...

Last Saturday I had gone to a Yoga class, then a Saturday morning Zumba class, worked out for about 90 minutes performing resistance exercises, then I taught a Zumba class from 2 PM to 3 PM... I teach Zumba on a volunteer basis two Saturdays a month -- the second and third Saturdays of the month...

Yesterday I had gone to a Sunday afternoon Zumba class taught by a woman named Jessie at the Come On Get Happy Cardio Dance Studio in Cocoa, Florida...

As you can see Zumba and cardio dance are my favorite types of exercises...

Today I am going to a friend's Zumba class because today is the first day that I have been able to weigh below 180 lbs...
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    I'd say it's better to do one thirty-minute set. Then add some lifting.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    yeah- 90 minutes is quiet a bit unless training for something very specific.

I also wouldn't break my cardio up into 3 different sets- but only because that has more to do with sustainability. most people won't be able to maintain 3 sessions of cardio on a regular basis- they are more likely to do one and done- so thinking from that aspect- it's probably wiser to pick something that WORKS in your schedule.

If you like running 2x a day and weight training- go for it- but you really don't need it.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member

How was my response not helpful? I was asking why they are doing so much cardio and what their goals are. What is wrong with asking that? It's a normal answer to such a broad question. WHY does the OP feel the need to do 90 minutes of cardio? Are they training for something? Are they doing it just because they want to create a calorie deficit and therefore eat more? Are they trying to lean out?

There's a plethora of reasons that someone would be doing so much cardio and I was just simply asking the why.

I agree. Unless you are training for something specific, I don't know why anyone would do more than an hour of cardio. Too much cardio can be worse than no cardio in some cases. It's an important question.
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    90min is too much unless you want to run a marathon
  • khall86790
    khall86790 Posts: 1,100 Member
    When I go for long runs and I hit around 80-90 minutes, I find I will have burnt more calories than if I split that into 30 minute segments.
    That may just be me but here's my reasons why i think this is;
    1. Determination. I do not settle for second best, so I push myself hard to hit the time or distance I want that day, most likely working my body harder after it's fatigued from going for some time.
    2. Heart rate. I believe your heart would be working harder at keeping your pace for 90 minutes than bursts of 30 at each time as you'd have a rest in between so your first 5-10 minutes of cardio (if for example, it's a run) will not be as strenuous on your heart as when you are 60-70 minutes in having done it all at the same time.

I hope that makes sense. I could be really off here as I know HIIT is popular, but with long amounts of cardio such as 90 minutes I can only assume you are running/cycling/something similar and in which case I'd say you'd get a better workout doing it all together.

Plus, who feels like working out 3 times in one day?
  • khall86790

Not at all. It takes me 90 minutes to run 15km. A marathon is around 42km.
  • iamkass
    iamkass Posts: 122 Member

Maybe I have some weird heart issue.. but my heart rate does not stay elevated for hours. Not even close. Maybe you are getting confused with the after burn effect of lifting, which is said to last hours after heavy lifting.
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Except for my one zumba class a week, the rest of my exercise is mostly short bursts of 15-20 mins spread through the day (with a 30-50 minuted evening session on non-Zumba weeknights), weekends a couple of longer walks but not necessarily any workouts.

90 mins at a time would be too much for me! (And I'd me most unlikely to set aside that much time in one block ) But I do often add up to more than that over a day.

I don't lift, but that doesn't make me a bad person. :bigsmile: (And before anyone starts on "skinny fat" my legs are very muscled from lots of zumba and aerobics and the rest of me is toned - or getting there!- from calisthenics.)
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,658 Member

If I were to do 90 mins worth per day I would do it all in one go, the reason for me, would be quite simple..... after cardio, I shower and three showers per day would be excessive and dry my skin.
  • khall86790

I agree. Unless you are training for something specific, I don't know why anyone would do more than an hour of cardio. Too much cardio can be worse than no cardio in some cases. It's an important question.

I really don't see why people are saying they don't understand more than an hour of cardio. Long distance runners who do it for a hobby frequently hit over 1 hour of cardio on a run and it's great for their bodies. I have never felt fitter or more agile since I started running for 60-90 minutes when I go.
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    6 sets of 15 or 12 sets of 7.5
  • __Di__

I really don't see why people are saying they don't understand more than an hour of cardio. Long distance runners who do it for a hobby frequently hit over 1 hour of cardio on a run and it's great for their bodies. I have never felt fitter or more agile since I started running for 60-90 minutes when I go.

Some people don't understand cardio.

I am with you on this, I have recently upped my cardio to around the one hour mark and will gradually be upping it some more over the months.

Some of us just like running and cardio folks and if the person is fit, they will not be harmed.
  • JustJennie1

The fact that there were no specifics as to why the question was being asked is why I asked my own question.

I understand that there are long distance runners who can run for hours at a time however without knowing what the OP's goals are or why they are asking the question I can only assume that they are asking for weight-loss reasons.
  • JustJennie1

I am with you on this, I have recently upped my cardio to around the one hour mark and will gradually be upping it some more over the months.

Some of us just like running and cardio folks and if the person is fit, they will not be harmed.

I understand cardio.
  • __Di__

I understand cardio.

Yes me too :)
  • Elliehmltn
    Elliehmltn Posts: 254 Member

Believe it or not, when I read the topic my only thought was a workout routine, probably running or multi-sport like triathlon training, and went to the topic because of that. Never thought of anything else till I read the first line.
  • iamkass
    iamkass Posts: 122 Member

The fact that there were no specifics as to why the question was being asked is why I asked my own question.

I understand that there are long distance runners who can run for hours at a time however without knowing what the OP's goals are or why they are asking the question I can only assume that they are asking for weight-loss reasons.

I also think the fact that it is 3 x 30 OR 90 minutes shows that he is not training for a marathon or running for hours because he loves it. If that was the case, obviously there wouldn't be a question.
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member

personally, and i am basing this on my own intuition and experience, I would opt for one 90 minute session rather than three 30 minutes. I usually do 45-65 mins of cardio (and on strength training days i add about 30 mins of weights), and i feel that it takes me a while to get going and i like to keep my heart pumping for a while, so *I* wouldn't break it up. I don't know - it just seems to me to be more effective to do it in one go.

But it depends on what you are trying to achieve, and if you have the time to really exercise three times a day (i don't have the time to change, exercise, shower, change and so on three times a day, even if the actual exercise is the same 90 mins.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member

I think it depends on a few things. "cardio" is a pretty loose term. What type of cardio are you doing?

But more importantly, what is the rest of your day like? If you are sedentary the rest of the day, it would likely be better to split it up into three 30 minute sessions.
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    I split my workouts up, but I don't do 90 minutes of cardio. I am a distance runner, but my mon-fri runs are typically 30-45 mins on lunch due to my schedule. Then I do 40 mins to an hour of body weight strength training in the evening after the little one is in bed. In theory, I'd like to do all my excercise in one go and be done with it, but that isn't realistic. I think the most important thing is that we fit in excercise it's less important how we divide it up.

On Sundays, my long run is typically 90 mins to 2 hours, I do limited other excercise on those days, maybe yoga after. I have heard splitting up a long run in one day is a bad idea for most regular runners, you don't get the same benefits as doing it all at once and open yourself up to injury that way.
  • bcattoes

"too much" in what way?
  • paradog
    paradog Posts: 378 Member
    Here is some info to answer your questions:

I am not training specifically for anything. I find it easier scheduling 3 x 30minute sessions than 1 x 90minutes session. All the weight lifting comments are noted but are not applicable here.

Yes I am trying to increase my metabolism throughtout the day to offset some of my caloric intake.
  • bcattoes
    Here is some info to answer your questions:

I am not training specifically for anything. I find it easier scheduling 3 x 30minute sessions than 1 x 90minutes session. All the weight lifting comments are noted but are not applicable here.

Yes I am trying to increase my metabolism throughtout the day to offset some of my caloric intake.

Three sessions of intense exercise will likely do this better than one 90 minutes session because you will be able to keep intensity higher in short sessions.