Is running effective and how to push yourself mentally?

Options
I want to start running (again). I sprained my ankle pretty badly a few months ago, but even then I didn't do a lot of running. I was more focused on the elliptical because I never thought running was something I could "do." Well a of recently, I know it IS something I can do. I lift 3-4x a week (Mon, Wed, Fri generally) and do cardio 3x a week (Tues, Thurs, Sat). I usually bike which is fine. I don't mind biking. I may split up running and biking for 30 minutes each, eventually building up to running for an hour and stuff.

Is running good for fat loss when paired with a good diet and weight training?

Also, how does one mentally push themselves to just keep running? I know that mentally, I give out quickly. What works for you to push through the hard spots? How do you just "get in the zone?"

**Diet is the most important to see a change, I'm aware (: I'm just curious about the exercise portion of it**

Thanks so much

Replies

• CorliJooste
    CorliJooste Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I started doing couch to 5K and when I'm done will do 10K. somehow it really motivates me to keep hitting the goals for each day (i use the iphone app) hope this helps!
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Running did more to change my shape than anything else. It really seemed to help with the stomach and chest areas (both areas that needed to lose fat but were the last to actually let go of it). I'm also doing strength training and that has done good things too, but when the running slows, so does the weight loss for me.

If I follow a training program, that keeps me going and keeps me motivated. So, pick a race and train for it. That should help quite a bit. I ran a LOT over the winter - in snow, and ice, and temps as low as 20 degrees (Just could NOT handle below that LOL). All because I was training for my first half marathon.
  • shannongoneau
    shannongoneau Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    When I started running I used music to get me through a mental block. I'm really competitive with myself. when I wanted to stop or take a break from running I would tell myself "one more song, its only 4 minutes just keep going anyone can do anything for 4 minutes" When I got to the end of the song I would tell myself "that wasn't so bad do it again". I've been running for a while now and its become more goal related. Now when I get on a treadmill or run outside I tell myself how many miles I want to go and I force myself to reach my goal.

I'm not sure on a scale of 1-10 how good it is for fat loss, but its great for endurance, increase lung capacity and your leg muscles. I burn a higher number of calories running vs if I were to do the elliptical or a stationary bike. I've recently started in the past two months weight training so all my weightless is due to running and diet 250lbs to 211lbs, I run just a little over a 9 minute mile and usually run 7 miles every other day. Average time is 67 minutes give or take a couple minutes or seconds.
  • kassiebby1124
    kassiebby1124 Posts: 927 Member
    Options
  • Samenamenewlook
    Samenamenewlook Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Set mini goals. Add a small amount of distance or try to get a tiny bit faster. Also, Couch to 5K apps are great because these goals are built in for you, but if you can find a group in your town it is even better. I'm doing one now and I love it. I have already looked into a 10K next before I start training for a half marathon. Also download the Nike+ Running App. It shows you how you're improving and has a "power song" button. You put your favorite "pump me up" songs in and just press it when you need a push. I also recommend changing scenery so you don't get bored. Lastly, run with a friend if you can and take it slow. Don't burn yourself out or its easy to give up. You can do this!
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Any exercise is good for you! Running is no exception. And, would be a great addition to a weights/resistance weekly routine.

My suggestion is to start slowly. If you have a smart phone (Apple or Android) try one of the C25K (Couch to 5k) apps. These are a great way to get started. Another great way to get going and keep motivated is to run with a group. Find a couple of friends to join you or look for a local running group. If you are in Canada Google The Running Room. They have great programs and open to all runs Wednesday evenings and Sunday mornings.

If you need distraction while running? Listen to music through a phone or MP3 player. Personally, I favor the group run myself. Having a conversation while running allowed me the opportunity to not focus on my breathing. This helped me get from 5 to 10k and then to my first half marathon. From time to time I will listen to music when I run by myself. But in general I enjoy the experience of being outside with none of the endless distractions we have these days!

Have fun and enjoy!
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    I started running at the end of april and am already at up to 7km and can run for an hour. So you can absolutely reach your goal.

I also thought I would never be a runner. Then I started using the tread mill at the gym, just out of curiosity. It really helped me pace myself, so that I didn't go out of my comfortable breathing zone. After a few short sessions at 6.5km/h I started with profiles. At first just 15min at 7.2/9. 9 was to high at the beginning so I reduced it to 8.5 or 8.8. Soon that was too slow ;-)

I'm now profiling on the tread mill for 30-35 min at 7.2 / 10 km/h without any difficulties. I could do longer but I do 45min of strength training after that.

After being able to profile for more than 20min I started going outside too. First just flat terrain and only 15min. When I got too fast or had trouble breathing I walked for a minute or two. Then about a month ago I started running uphill. Slow and steady at 4-6km/h and really small steps. Now I can run uphill for 3.5km if that's the terrain I'm in without having to stop.

So my tip - start slow, very slow (almost a shuffle), when that gets boring increase the speed and or the duration of your session. If you have a tread mill at the gym use it. It's great for pacing and for some incline training. And when you feel you're ready - go outside.

Motivation - being proud of myself, calories burned, seeing the fast improvement.

Have fun!
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    To a point, running helps with fat loss. However, I think, from my investigation that fat loss and body sculpting is most effectively done via weight training.

That being said, I'm a runner who also dabbles with lifting heavy things 3 times a week. I enjoy running and get a personal pay off that I haven't found with any other activity...thus far.

When I'd rather throw in the towel ON a run, I set my sights on a fixed point in the distance and try to make it to that point. Once there, if I'm particularly winded (say after an uphill climb) I'll walk for 20 seconds or so and then get back to it. When I want to "take a break" from running altogether, I sign myself up for a race. I like winning age group awards and placing well in my age group (I don't win awards in larger races) so signing up for a race motivates me to get out there and keep training!

Plus my MFP friends who run always motivate my by cheering me on and posting their runs as well.

:-)
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I've seen better results through running combined with weights than any other exercise. The change in the shape of my legs in particular is impressive.

With weight loss it is still about calorie deficit. So by all means run to increase your fitness, posture, legs and sense of wellbeing but don't rely on it for weight loss (keep your calories in check for that).

To keep motivated (which I struggle with too) I try to change my routes (mainly through parks and trails as they are more interesting) and plenty of good music on your iPod.

Also try some running podcasts such as:

* Chubby Jones: http://chubbyjones.com/couch-to-5k-running-podcasts/
    * NHS: www.nhs.uk/livewell/c25k/Pages/couch-to-5k.aspx

As others have said, signing up for a race could be good motivation and perhaps have a look at joining a local running club too.
  • imhungry2012
    imhungry2012 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I love running (short distances 3-4 miles)...I just recently started HIIT using the treadmill and wish I had done that from the start! Jog 1-2 mins, Sprint 1-2 mins (until I can't take it anymore)...repeat several times until I am at 25-30 mins. It's an amazing calorie burn. Steady jogs are great too.

Yes, running (any exercise) with a calorie deficit is good for reducing body fat esepcially in tandumn with weight training.
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Oh, and as others have said, find like-minded people on MFP! If one of my friends posts that they have been out for a run it's often the motivation I need to get off the couch and get outside!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Physically, start small. Couch to 5K is great, because you gradually increase the amount you run.

Mentally, I think of Harry Potter. Really, bear with me a second. At the end of Prisoner of Azkaban, when he was able to summon his patronus to defeat the dementors, he was able to do it because he knew he already did it. Going through C25K, I thought the same thing. I can do this because I've already done it. IE, "I know I can run this 5 minute interval, because last week, I was able to run several 3 minute intervals. I've already run further than this."
  • rjmudlax13
    rjmudlax13 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Running is a great way to lose fat. When you pair it with lifting, the benefits are compounded. Make sure you invest in a good pair of running shoes. Also, give yourself time to rest, as with any type of exercise.

I find that the best motivator for me is to enter races. Start out with a 5k. Not only does it motivate you to train for the event, but the event itself will motivate you to push harder. There is something of a mental push when you are in a race. Your adrenaline starts pumping and you have an unconscious desire to keep up with people a little faster than you. Eventually you can work your way up to a 10k, 15k and maybe a half marathon (or full marathon!).
  • kassiebby1124
    kassiebby1124 Posts: 927 Member
    Options
    Wow, THANKS everyone! I have a 5k app called Zombies, Run! but I may get the couch25k app, too (: I guess I'll start my running tomorrow. You all are so awesome.
    @Lorina- I'm a HUGE Harry Potter nerd, so your comment made my day
  • EdTheGinge
    EdTheGinge Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    I went for a run yesterday and it was like 30degrees (hot for us in UK) and yes there were points where I thought just give up Ed it's not worth it but then I thought 'you've been running for 3miles in this heat, that'll of been for nothing if you give up now' and so I pushed on and then felt pretty good after that.

I only started running properly in the new year and I'm training for a Marathon in October now, if you'd asked me this time last year that I'd of taken up running and enjoyed doing it I'd of laughed in your face.

As people have stated weight training is good to shape up the fat which you lose from the exercise and healthy eating. Go out there and 'own it'.
  • omma_to_3
    Options
    Wow, THANKS everyone! I have a 5k app called Zombies, Run! but I may get the couch25k app, too (: I guess I'll start my running tomorrow. You all are so awesome.
    @Lorina- I'm a HUGE Harry Potter nerd, so your comment made my day

Zombies Run is fun! They have a C25K version of that too.
  • red0801
    red0801 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Even w/o the fitness perks...running keeeps me from needing to choke silly ppl.
  • omma_to_3
    Options
    Even w/o the fitness perks...running keeeps me from needing to choke silly ppl.

Yes, yes it does!!
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I want to start running (again). I sprained my ankle pretty badly a few months ago, but even then I didn't do a lot of running. I was more focused on the elliptical because I never thought running was something I could "do." Well a of recently, I know it IS something I can do. I lift 3-4x a week (Mon, Wed, Fri generally) and do cardio 3x a week (Tues, Thurs, Sat). I usually bike which is fine. I don't mind biking. I may split up running and biking for 30 minutes each, eventually building up to running for an hour and stuff.

Is running good for fat loss when paired with a good diet and weight training?

Also, how does one mentally push themselves to just keep running? I know that mentally, I give out quickly. What works for you to push through the hard spots? How do you just "get in the zone?"

**Diet is the most important to see a change, I'm aware (: I'm just curious about the exercise portion of it**

Thanks so much

Running is a great calorie burner and even better when paired with a lifting routine. When I faced that mental block, I would run a bit then walk a bit and keep going back and forth. Purposely slow your pace so you can run for longer amounts of time and keep periods of brisk walking when the running is too much. Eventually, (pretty quickly in my experience) you see the running times increase and the walking reduce, and you pace gets faster without even really trying.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options

As others have said, do a C25K and follow the plan to avoid over-training. Running is tough on the body...very high impact, so you'll need to start slow.

As far as motivation goes, I'd suggest actually signing up for a few 5Ks...when you're vested you tend to be motivated as well. I'd also suggest having a "season"...and do something else in the "off-season" to let your body have a good heal. I train very hard during my season and do some races...in the off-season I still do some jogging, maybe once or twice per week, but I do a lot more low impact stuff like cycling and swimming and put focus back on my strength training. This gives me a nice rest and keeps those nagging injuries at bay.