Lose weight and build muscle simultaneously?

OK, here is my story -
Age-35 yrs; Height- 185 cm; weight - 94 kg!!! (used to be 84 kg)

How this happened I can't really say lol. but I used to play football (soccer) every weekend during the summer period but stopped for a year and half due to a knee injury. In between I was visiting the gym 3 times a week for about 2 months and then stopped.

Recently I've started hitting the gym again (about a month now) with the aim of returning back to my normal weight (84 kg) and at the same time adding some muscles and shaping my body.

My question is - is this possible to achieve? if yes, then how?

Meanwhile I have set my total calories to 3000 per day. Is this too much or too little?

Thanks as you help out

Replies

• tricksee
    tricksee Posts: 835 Member
    First calculate your TDEE +15% / 20% - eat that amount of calories.

Prioritize protein in your diet. I think they say 0.8-1.2g per LBS B/W - I could be wrong there, I can't recall the exact numbers.

Use a novice 5 x 5 routine to build a solid base 3 times per week.

Drink water.
  • SmartBlogz
    SmartBlogz Posts: 37

Prioritize protein in your diet. I think they say 0.8-1.2g per LBS B/W - I could be wrong there, I can't recall the exact numbers.

Drink water.
    Thanks for the fast reply.
    According to the weight fitness app I'm using
    BMR = 2048
    TDEE (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/wk) = 2816 + 15% = 3238.4

Not sure but does the above make any sense? Can I lose weight or will I just maintain my current weight?

Currently I'm taking about 130-140g of protein per day though I must admit that I don't always meet hit that figure.
    And yes, I drink about 8 glasses (250 ml x 8) of water everyday. Is that enough?

and oh, very much a novice:-) what does this mean? "novice 5 x 5 routine to build a solid base 3 times per week"
  • tricksee
    tricksee Posts: 835 Member
    TDEE + 15% will allow you to gain weight, hopefully in the form of muscle, whilst limiting the amount of fat.

If your TDEE is 2816 then I think 3000-3100 is acceptable for you. (I think you originally set to 3000, so go with that)

8 glasses of water is OK, that's what the government tell us, but hey, it's not set in stone. Just stay hydrated and drink as much as you can. I have a 700ml bottle which I refill 3-4 times per day.

A simple 5 x 5 full body work out routine that if done correctly will help you build muscle. It's two workouts done 3 times per week alternating between workout A & B and increasing weight as you successfully complete the 5 sets of 5 reps. (Hence 5x5)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member

Drink water.
    Thanks for the fast reply.
    According to the weight fitness app I'm using
    BMR = 2048
    TDEE (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/wk) = 2816 + 15% = 3238.4

Not sure but does the above make any sense? Can I lose weight or will I just maintain my current weight?

you wil gain weight on TDEE PLUS 15%
  • SmartBlogz
    Thanks. so what do you suggest?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Thanks. so what do you suggest?

if you want to gain muscle, you need to be eating above your TDEE.

If you just want to lose a bit of bodyfat, while keeping as much muscle as you can, then you want to eat at TDEE, or a bit below, eat plenty of protein and google stronglifts 5x5 as tricksee suggested!
  • SmartBlogz
    if you want to gain muscle, you need to be eating above your TDEE.
    If you just want to lose a bit of bodyfat, while keeping as much muscle as you can, then you want to eat at TDEE, or a bit below, eat plenty of protein and google stronglifts 5x5 as tricksee suggested!
    Thanks a lot for your reply. Digesting all what I have read now. Happy days are here! :-)
  • SmartBlogz
    TDEE + 15% will allow you to gain weight, hopefully in the form of muscle, whilst limiting the amount of fat.

If your TDEE is 2816 then I think 3000-3100 is acceptable for you. (I think you originally set to 3000, so go with that)

8 glasses of water is OK, that's what the government tell us, but hey, it's not set in stone. Just stay hydrated and drink as much as you can. I have a 700ml bottle which I refill 3-4 times per day.

A simple 5 x 5 full body work out routine that if done correctly will help you build muscle. It's two workouts done 3 times per week alternating between workout A & B and increasing weight as you successfully complete the 5 sets of 5 reps. (Hence 5x5)
    Thanks again. Very helpful of you.
    Yes, I originally set to 3000 but most of it as I see it are carbs. maybe I should reduce that though the app (my fitness pal) does not allow me to do that. will just do the calculations on my own I guess.

Funny that I've got a 700ml bottle as well .lol. and I try to drink water as much as I can. heck, I might be wearing a water bottle soon. hahaha

Have you a copy of such 5x5 plan that I can download and use? Just trying to be on the right path.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Eat at a slight deficit and lift. Unless you're already very lean or a well conditioned athlete, you can gain muscle in a deficit as long as it's a small deficit and you stay on point with your diet.
  • ncahill77
    ncahill77 Posts: 501 Member
    Can I just suggest that perhaps instead of "gaining muscle" which means actually growing more muscle tissue you focus on gaining strength which is taking the current muscle you have and making them stronger and more efficient, you can definitely do that while eating at a deficit which will burn fat as well. I would suggest TDEE - 10/15%, after you burn off more of the fat you can switch to a TDEE + 10% to grow the muscle. There really is a distinction between making muscles stronger and making them bigger that most people don't realize when they start into fitness.
  • BernadetteChurch
    BernadetteChurch Posts: 2,210 Member
    Google "Stronglifts 5 x 5" and you can register to receive a copy of the plan and even join the club if you're so inclined.
  • SmartBlogz
    Eat at a slight deficit and lift. Unless you're already very lean or a well conditioned athlete, you can gain muscle in a deficit as long as it's a small deficit and you stay on point with your diet.
    Thanks for your post. I must admit that I'm far from the well conditioned athlete. lol but then I don't even look fat yet I weight 93kg now.
    In any case, I've started eating at a slight deficit and doing some weight lifting 3 times a week. That should help to reach my target.
  • SmartBlogz
    Can I just suggest that perhaps instead of "gaining muscle" which means actually growing more muscle tissue you focus on gaining strength which is taking the current muscle you have and making them stronger and more efficient, you can definitely do that while eating at a deficit which will burn fat as well. I would suggest TDEE - 10/15%, after you burn off more of the fat you can switch to a TDEE + 10% to grow the muscle. There really is a distinction between making muscles stronger and making them bigger that most people don't realize when they start into fitness.
    Thanks. Now this is a different perspective you are bringing in. Quite interesting I must say.
    Eating at TDEE - 10%? Will that not be too big a deficit. I'm a novice here but willing to learn.
    Gaining muscle vs gaining strength? How do I achieve this aside eating at TDEE - 10%/15%?
    Anyone else agree on this?
  • SmartBlogz
    Google "Stronglifts 5 x 5" and you can register to receive a copy of the plan and even join the club if you're so inclined.
    Doing that right about now. My target this year is to get ripped and then maintain it.

Update: Registered and dearie me, thats a load of information to digest but I'm for it!

Strength and muscles, here I come. haha!
  • SmartBlogz
    Going through the SL 5x5, I see that you do a lot of squats (about 3 times a week). Will that not be detrimental to my aims as I have some niggling knee problem? Or will that even make me feel better?
  • flex500
    flex500 Posts: 63
    OK, here is my story -
    Age-35 yrs; Height- 185 cm; weight - 94 kg!!! (used to be 84 kg)

How this happened I can't really say lol. but I used to play football (soccer) every weekend during the summer period but stopped for a year and half due to a knee injury. In between I was visiting the gym 3 times a week for about 2 months and then stopped.

Recently I've started hitting the gym again (about a month now) with the aim of returning back to my normal weight (84 kg) and at the same time adding some muscles and shaping my body.

My question is - is this possible to achieve? if yes, then how?

Meanwhile I have set my total calories to 3000 per day. Is this too much or too little?

Thanks as you help out

I think a 3,000 calorie start is a good place for you...actually I may do 2800 if I were you then work up slowly. If you ahve been out of the gym for a while you may be able to take advantage of losing fat and gaining muscle. Enjoy it and work your *kitten* off...it won't last long. You get a wonderful window where that is possible for new trainers or poeple have who have extended time off...take advantage of it.
  • SmartBlogz
    I think a 3,000 calorie start is a good place for you...actually I may do 2800 if I were you then work up slowly. If you ahve been out of the gym for a while you may be able to take advantage of losing fat and gaining muscle. Enjoy it and work your *kitten* off...it won't last long. You get a wonderful window where that is possible for new trainers or poeple have who have extended time off...take advantage of it.
    Hi flex500 and thanks for the post.
    Could you explain the highlighted. a little confused by what you meant!
  • jasonheyd
    jasonheyd Posts: 524 Member
    Going through the SL 5x5, I see that you do a lot of squats (about 3 times a week). Will that not be detrimental to my aims as I have some niggling knee problem? Or will that even make me feel better?

If you're doing squats correctly, your knees should be fine... Take a look around Google for Mark Rippetoe's "Starting Strength" squat HOWTO. If you do squats incorrectly, then yes -- you can irritate existing or create new issues in the knees, hips, and back.

Having had some knee, hip, and back issues (lucky me!), I can attest to both of the former scenarios. ;-)

I'd also take a look at Mark Rippetoe's routine, and check out All Pro's Simple Beginner's Routine (info on both can be found at BodyBuilding.com). Strong Lifts 5x5 has a pretty dedicated following around here, and it's certainly not a bad program, but the others are worth looking at (and, personally, I think they're better programs -- but I'll caveat that with, "I'm no expert.").

One other thing to add: If you're really new to strength training, then you'll be able to add muscle and lose weight by eating at a slight deficit. That so-called "newbie effect" won't last forever though, and you may find it harder to add weight to your workout sets sooner than you'd like. Muscles need calories to repair... If your workouts are getting harder week to week rather than easier, then you're either not resting enough, not eating enough, or both. That's actually why I much prefer All Pro's routine to 5x5 ... It's got a much more "sane" / "logical" progression in my opinion.
  • jasonheyd
    jasonheyd Posts: 524 Member
    it won't last long. You get a wonderful window where that is possible for new trainers or poeple have who have extended time off...take advantage of it.
    Hi flex500 and thanks for the post.
    Could you explain the highlighted. a little confused by what you meant!

That's the "newbie effect" that I mentioned.

It's possible to eat at a (slight) deficit, build muscle, and lose weight if you've never done resistance training or haven't done it for a considerable period of time. It's basically a brief period of time where your muscles go from flaccid noodles to where they should be, and they'll get bigger while they're at it. ;-)
  • BernadetteChurch
    BernadetteChurch Posts: 2,210 Member

If you get the 5x5 guy's emails you'll find he talks a lot about knee pain and squats and how doing them correctly can make that pain go away. Correct form is key, though, so make sure you get that right before you start really increasing your weights.
  • mikejholmes
    mikejholmes Posts: 291 Member
    ^ This.
  • mikejholmes
    mikejholmes Posts: 291 Member
    Check out Starting Strength by Rippetoe, to ensure your form is correct. That should clear up any knee problems.
  • SmartBlogz
    If you get the 5x5 guy's emails you'll find he talks a lot about knee pain and squats and how doing them correctly can make that pain go away. Correct form is key, though, so make sure you get that right before you start really increasing your weights.
    Thanks. Yes, I've received some emails but none yet on knee pain. But I do agree that correct form is VITAL! working on that.
  • SmartBlogz
    Thanks again to EVERYONE for your contributions and responses.
    At the moment I think the right thing for me will be
    1. Eating at a slight deficit and sticking to my diet
    2. Strength training. (SL 5x5 or ALL Pro or Starting Strength)

Me thinks, doing the above should yield some good result say in a month or two for starters.

Muscles, here I come!!!
  • SmartBlogz
    If you're doing squats correctly, your knees should be fine... Take a look around Google for Mark Rippetoe's "Starting Strength" squat HOWTO. If you do squats incorrectly, then yes -- you can irritate existing or create new issues in the knees, hips, and back.
    Having had some knee, hip, and back issues (lucky me!), I can attest to both of the former scenarios. ;-)
    I'd also take a look at Mark Rippetoe's routine, and check out All Pro's Simple Beginner's Routine (info on both can be found at BodyBuilding.com). Strong Lifts 5x5 has a pretty dedicated following around here, and it's certainly not a bad program, but the others are worth looking at (and, personally, I think they're better programs -- but I'll caveat that with, "I'm no expert.").
    One other thing to add: If you're really new to strength training, then you'll be able to add muscle and lose weight by eating at a slight deficit. That so-called "newbie effect" won't last forever though, and you may find it harder to add weight to your workout sets sooner than you'd like. Muscles need calories to repair... If your workouts are getting harder week to week rather than easier, then you're either not resting enough, not eating enough, or both. That's actually why I much prefer All Pro's routine to 5x5 ... It's got a much more "sane" / "logical" progression in my opinion.
    Thank you VERY very much! Informative. Never even knew about those
  • SmartBlogz
    Thanks again to EVERYONE for your contributions and responses.
    At the moment I think the right thing for me will be
    1. Eating at a slight deficit and sticking to my diet
    2. Strength training. (SL 5x5 or ALL Pro or Starting Strength)

Me thinks, doing the above should yield some good result say in a month or two for starters.

Muscles, here I come!!!
  • MG_Fit
    MG_Fit Posts: 1,143 Member
    OP I/am in the same boat as you. I wanted to lose weight and gain muscle mass. I eat a a deficit, usually between 2360 - 2600 cal and try to eat my body weight in grams of protein. I lift heavy 4 to 5 times per week and integrate HIIT finishers.

You can do it man!
  • SmartBlogz
    OP I/am in the same boat as you. I wanted to lose weight and gain muscle mass. I eat a a deficit, usually between 2360 - 2600 cal and try to eat my body weight in grams of protein. I lift heavy 4 to 5 times per week and integrate HIIT finishers.

You can do it man!
    hey man, yes we can do it. How far are you with your progress. Mind to share? :smile:
  • scopetrek
    scopetrek Posts: 16 Member
    Bumping this is great post.

I'm 37 and I have similar goals. I want to shed my flab around the belly and gain muscles at the same time. Any incite on diet would be helpful...I'm trying to keep my cholesterol in check so I'm limiting fatty meats like no beef and no pork, no egg yolks.
    For exercise so far I starter bike riding to improve my endurance followed by weight lifting...only started this week. Any tips welcomed.
  • diwijo13
    diwijo13 Posts: 106 Member
    Bump