Did I really gain 7lbs in a week or is my scale broken?

Options
Hey there MFP friends. I recently got back to my exercise and healthy eating routine and realized that in this past week the scale said I gained 7 lbs. Is it physically possibly to gain that much in one week or is my scale broken? I was a little shocked to see the results on the scale this morning. Especially considering I look and feel like my body weight composition is changing. My current theory is that retained water from creatine has caused the scale number to go up. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Replies

• Kicker12
    Kicker12 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Water retention caused by new exercise.
  • Rockmyskinnyjeans
    Rockmyskinnyjeans Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I think it's also probably water retention. Step away from the scale for a moment until your body "breathes", so to the speak, from doing the new exercise, and it should be gone.
  • floppybackend
    floppybackend Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Weigh only first thing in morning and buy accurate scales.
  • Samenamenewlook
    Samenamenewlook Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I have been known to gain about 7 lbs in a weekend and panic, only for it to be gone 2 days later. I think its water. I don't know about creatine, but sometimes just a few changes in my diet or water intake will make me swell up like that. Increasing my weights when lifting will do it to. I would wait a few days then check again. I wouldn't worry though, especially if you're seeing changes you like.
  • jamiesillimandunn
    jamiesillimandunn Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Unless you ate over your allotted Tdee by 3500 calories a day , I doubt it's actual weight ...could be water weight :) for sure , don't know about creating putting on water weight ? I would flush with lots of water and weigh back in in a couple days :)
  • CandiQueen
    CandiQueen Posts: 57
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about it because its definitely not "fat" weight. It could be a mixture of water weight, extra muscle, body confusion. Give your body a chance to adjust and it will disappear. Remember that how you feel is more important but if you must have a number its better to go by inches than lbs....especially if you're trying to bulk up and not just slim down.
  • jasonheyd
    jasonheyd Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Probably less the creatine and more just muscles retaining water in order to repair after exercise.

... assuming you're not taking insane amounts of creatine. If you're trying a "load" phase, then it could be a contributing factor I suppose. Everyone's probably a little different, but I never noticed weight gain from it. Just helps with recovery.
  • jetlag
    jetlag Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Yes, it is possible.

it is exceptionally unlikely that it is all fat.

Don't freak about the numbers. Learn how your body works and move on.
  • leftybadeye
    Options
    Thanks for the input guys! I figured it was water weight or something like that.