PROTEIN

Options
Hello
I`m new to the sit, I just joined today and want to lose 28lbs in total.
I seem to be going over my protein allowance when having vegetables!! Surely these are good for you?
What does everyone else do?
I`ve had ww bread for breakfast, wrap, humous and salad for lunch and having jacket potaoto and prawns for dinner later. I did want a low fat yogurt but this will take me over my allowance!

Grateful for any advice!

Marg

Replies

• Ainar
    Ainar Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Unless you have special orders from your doctor to not go over your protein allowance, due to some kidney problems or something else, then there is no limit. You can go as high as you want. It will not effect your weight loss if you do not go over calorie limit.

My Fitness Pal randomly recommends you the lowest minimum amount. It's not a rule. I ate like 200g protein a day and I'm fine. You can ate way more than that.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    MFP's protein goal is very low. It's actually recommended to have 1g of protein per lb of lean mass... so closer to 120g a day in most cases.
  • Melaella
    Melaella Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hiya Marg,

I have been following a high protein diet plan the last couple weeks and the basis of it and what I have read up on google etc is that having protein with every meal / snacks is good as it increases your metabolism which in turn helps you lose weight. It also keeps you feeling fuller for longer!

Not usre if this helps, hopefully someone with more knowledge than me can answer you.

I have lost nearly 6lbs in 2 weeks and just under 18inches from my body by eating high protein / low carb.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Yes, vegetable-based proteins are good for you. Keep eating them. MFP guidelines for protein is for the *BARE* minimum, so don't worry if you go over, so long as you stay within your calorie goal. (Same for fats -- it's a minimum, not a maximum.)
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    Protein Goals on MFP are not a limit, but a minimum.
    I try to get 130-140 grams a day. (About 40% of my calories)
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    sounds like you are doing just fine. I often go over my "allowed" proteins and under my carbs - i don't worry about it as long as I am at/under my calories and feeling like I am (slowly) losing weight/inches
  • annemb989
    annemb989 Posts: 6
    Options
    I'm actually looking for more protein options! Protein is so good for you if you are working out, and leaning out. I have found if you have an ALDI grocery store near you they have a 4 pack of Frozen Fish for $4.99... all our other grocery stores same 4pack is more like $7.99. I can't eat Almonds (allergic reactions) and I'm getting tired of Chicken Breasts! haha. Let me know your favorite Proteins!
  • ash190489
    ash190489 Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    High protein is fine, MFP has it set way too low in my opinion, I'm eating 120-150g of protein each day and losing weight. By eating more protein I seem to be eating slightly less carbs and eating good fats! I'm loving it!
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Hello
    I`m new to the sit, I just joined today and want to lose 28lbs in total.
    I seem to be going over my protein allowance when having vegetables!! Surely these are good for you?
    What does everyone else do?
    I`ve had ww bread for breakfast, wrap, humous and salad for lunch and having jacket potaoto and prawns for dinner later. I did want a low fat yogurt but this will take me over my allowance!

Grateful for any advice!

Marg

You seem to go over your protein when having vegetables / wut
  • schakiiiii
    schakiiiii Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Im always over my protein by a big amount! I wouldnt be worried at all. I think protein is essential especially after losing the weight for toning up! dont stress! your doing just fine. :happy:
  • MargoB36
    MargoB36 Posts: 3
    Options
    Thank you to everyone that replied to my thread! I am now reassured that I can have that yogurt and eat as much veg as I like. You`ve been very supportive....what a great group this is. I am looking for friends so would be more than happy if anyone wants to add me!

Marg
  • MargoB36
    MargoB36 Posts: 3
    Options
    You`re looking great, well done on your weight loss. x