Map My Walk

Options
I just started using the Map My Walk app on my phone. Took a walk the other night while pushing the stroller and walking with my daughter (4 yrs old) at a nice leisurely pace. The app told me I walked a mile in about 20 minutes, so 3 miles an hour. Then today when I walked on the treadmill at the same pace (according to the treadmill), it was much faster. I was nearly jogging. I know that my daughter can't walk as fast as I was walking on the treadmill. So the app must be wrong? Anyone else had this problem?

Replies

• Shannonpurple
    Shannonpurple Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Do you have the GPS on your phone on? Those apps will not operate correctly if it is not on. Also if you lose signal during your walk that could mess it up too.
  • ylor89
    ylor89 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm.... I use Map My Run (is that the same thing?) and I know sometimes it's said that I run at a faster pace than I usually do. Then again, I don't really keep good track of it... But if you're averaging 3mph, that should be a comfortable pace and something your daughter should be able to do. I've done 3mph on a treadmill before, but I've always walked it. I'm starting to wonder if it's your treadmill?? I usually have to start jogging when I'm doing 5mph on the treadmill. Sorry I'm not much help! Hopefully someone else can help you out!
  • lyndausvi
    lyndausvi Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I noticed the same thing. Mapmywalk said I was walking over 4mph, but that seems really fast when I walked the same rate on the treadmill a few days later. I went back and did the same route, but tracked the route on an independent site to get the distance. I used my smartphone's stopwatch feature to figure out my time. It came up to about 3.9mph.

I don't know what the answer is, but for some reason it feels like a much faster pace on the treadmill then on the street.
  • sara1215
    sara1215 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm.... I use Map My Run (is that the same thing?) and I know sometimes it's said that I run at a faster pace than I usually do. Then again, I don't really keep good track of it... But if you're averaging 3mph, that should be a comfortable pace and something your daughter should be able to do. I've done 3mph on a treadmill before, but I've always walked it. I'm starting to wonder if it's your treadmill?? I usually have to start jogging when I'm doing 5mph on the treadmill. Sorry I'm not much help! Hopefully someone else can help you out!

It is an old treadmill. Maybe that is the problem.