Need advice regarding calories needed for weight loss

Options
Hi Everyone... I have been a member here a while... (at least since 2010) but unfortunately haven't been consistent with keeping track and this morning I got on the scale and have gained more weight (surprise?!) haha.... It's very upsetting because I have been trying to lose weight to fit in a dress I have to wear in a few weeks for a wedding and it's too tight I'm going to have to starve myself (kidding) or buy a new dress. ! I thought I was doing great because I don't eat a lot and I usually walk at least 3 miles almost every day... HOWEVER, I am 56 years old (post menopause) and since last year I have had a belly that just won't budge no matter what I do! :sad: I know I need to work out with weights but I haven't been good with consistency (which is key I'm sure!) ANYway, I REALLY want to focus on losing this stubborn fat because I am sick of being angry at myself for letting myself put 15 pounds back on (that I lost 6 years ago) and I know it can be done but almost feel clueless because what I'm doing isn't working (obviously!). According to the chart I am allowed 1200 calories a day but I don't know if that is too much or not enough. Any thoughts/suggestions/encouragement you can offer is so much appreciated! Thanks in advance!~ Best wishes to YOU! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    is 1200 cals what MFP gives you when you set it to lose 1lb per week?
  • mjrkearney
    mjrkearney Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    1200 calories is considered the minimum an adult woman should eat on a daily basis. There is a fair chance you need more. MFP takes your TDEE and subtracts calories based on the weight loss you requested, but it will never go below 1200.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I had my best success with losing the fat and the last 10-15lbs eating according to the info in this topic: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/974888-in-place-of-a-road-map-2k13

Great info there, and lots of it - I probably read through it five or six times before wrapping my head around all of it, but it's well worth it. There are tools linked there with step by step instructions on how to calculate your BMR and your TDEE - basically the high and low numbers of cals you need - and you eat in between those numbers.

Been eating this way for over a year and a half now, and it's still working great for me, and a lifestyle change I can do forever. :smile:
  • leanlindajean
    Options
    Yes... I want to lose as much as possible as fast as possible but I have done that (1200) and it was HARD and I still didn't lose! Thanks
  • leanlindajean
    Options
    Thank you... I think I need more - or more of the right foods (?!)
  • leanlindajean
    Options
    Thank you so much for this valuable information... I will read it over and see if it works for me! It sure has worked for you... congratulations... you look fabulous!!