all about perception

Options
On weighing in today it struck me how ironic... it was the number on the scale now such a happy sight was the the same number that sent me scurrying to Weight Watchers for the first time oh so many years ago in horror... It is after all just a number !

Perhaps it is with the hard earned wisdom and being a few more miles down the road that I can now look in the mirror and see the woman I was meant to be.. no longer chasing media driven impossible standards of beauty ... Beauty as we all know is in the eye of the beholder.. Please for today see your beauty...

We are all already perfect as we are right in this moment... deserving of a life filled with happiness and good health...irrespective of the size of our pants...

I am not big on regrets but if I could go back in time I would tell that self loathing insecure girl that once was me that verbally and psychically abusing herself about perceived short comings was not the way to take care of a few extra pounds... and that said few extra pounds did not define who she is..

I do believe that we are given one body and do owe our self's the respect of caring for it to the best of our ability with the daily practice of joy, movement and moderation not deprivation in food and drink ...

Best to all in where ever you are in the process... and thanks to those who have been supporting me in mine...

Replies

• hzliiz
    hzliiz Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    FR sent cause I like your perspective! And agree there is no healing to be found in self-loathing.
  • snowmoon13
    snowmoon13 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    FR will be gladly accepted hzliz..
  • charissh
    charissh Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    This is so wise and so very true! Thank you for posting this, it was really what I needed to hear today x
  • RambyPandy
    RambyPandy Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I love this. When I first started MFP I remember looking in the mirror and feeling disgusted. Saying out loud, "how could ANYONE love you, you're disgusting." and believing it. I equated love and self-love with a positive self-image for so long that I really believed it. When I look back and remember saying that to my reflection, I can't believe how horrible I was to myself. I am not perfect, I still have a ways to go. But now I know I was being unkind to myself. And that if I am going to go all the way with my weight loss, I need to forgive myself and treat myself better. This is more than a journey of numbers. It's an excursion into a deep mental jungle, where every day I clear away some vines and let some light through. And it's people like you who make great traveling companions :)